Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Powerwagon
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Best explanation yet.

so.... our inside guy....is the Ecodiesel actually coming?

OP
OP

JL-Engineline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none. I just build them
Best explanation yet.

so.... our inside guy....is the Ecodiesel actually coming?
Idk if it's Eco but the 3.0 Turbo diesel will be available soon. We have built around 50-60 in the last 3 months. All for testing purposes.
Once the 3.0 is available the current 2.2 diesel will be phased out

jeepguy225

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator JTR, '04 Rubicon (past: 04 TJR, 79 and 84' CJ-7)
Occupation
Buyer of Jeep parts
Vehicle Showcase
Great article! So, the moment you add larger tires, regardless of re-gearing (though it would help), the added tire weight will lower your towing numbers. Also, adding anything to the front bumper that would alter airflow over what the stock bumpers allow would also alter towing.

Oodaloop

First Name
Bora
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Saturn Sky Redline
I still think it is absolute BS that they can't make a diesel tow more than the gas model. Might as well not even offer a diesel. In the article they kept comparing it to the ZR2 but they made a misplaced comparison at the end. Yes the ZR2 diesel can only tow 5,000 pounds. And they attribute that to the smaller bumper that cuts into cooling capability. But still that doesn't mean you should say the diesel Gladiator should be around 5,000 pounds. The Jeep should be the same as the gas model or more. Just like the ZR2 gas and the ZR2 diesel both tow 5,0000 pounds the Gladiator diesel should tow a minimum of 7,650 pounds just like the gas version. That would be a better comparison and expectation.

Sponsored

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
I thought I read somewhere early on that the diesel would be over 7000, just not 7650. I’ll see if I can find that, maybe it was just speculation.

jeepguy225

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Buyer of Jeep parts
Vehicle Showcase
I thought I read somewhere early on that the diesel would be over 7000, just not 7650. I’ll see if I can find that, maybe it was just speculation.
I read that too. Plus, according to the article posted earlier, towing on the JT is hindered by the engine cooling, so I imagine that diesel could pull a lot more, but you would have to redesign the grill and then it wouldn't look like a wrangler grill.

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
No that you mention it, I seem to recall reading that as well

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
I still think it is absolute BS that they can't make a diesel tow more than the gas model. Might as well not even offer a diesel. In the article they kept comparing it to the ZR2 but they made a misplaced comparison at the end. Yes the ZR2 diesel can only tow 5,000 pounds. And they attribute that to the smaller bumper that cuts into cooling capability. But still that doesn't mean you should say the diesel Gladiator should be around 5,000 pounds. The Jeep should be the same as the gas model or more. Just like the ZR2 gas and the ZR2 diesel both tow 5,0000 pounds the Gladiator diesel should tow a minimum of 7,650 pounds just like the gas version. That would be a better comparison and expectation.

You’re right - a team of professional cooling engineers worked for 3 years and couldn’t get it done given the constraints they have, but I’m sure you could do it in a weekend with a sawzall and a shop torch. I bet their just doing it this way to keep people buying the less expensive 3.6, because they don’t want to ale any money selling the diesel...:computerrage:

Sponsored

DMoney

First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport w/ 1.5 inch lift.
Occupation
Freight-liner Diesel Technician
Idk if it's Eco but the 3.0 Turbo diesel will be available soon. We have built around 50-60 in the last 3 months. All for testing purposes.
Once the 3.0 is available the current 2.2 diesel will be phased out
This is good news for the Australian people that were asking if they get the 3.0l diesel or will be stuck with only the 2.2l diesel.
@Ian cj10

Limamikemike

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Powerwagon
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
There is a 3.0 ecodiesel 4 cyl running around in the ram promaster, has anyone confirmed that the diesel we’re talking about is the V-6 turbo?

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
At this point, I take everything said in this forum as speculation.;)

jeepguy225

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Buyer of Jeep parts
Vehicle Showcase