Sponsored

Trading in 2020 Sport S for a 2021 Rubicon, given used car prices are soaring?

TommyGp

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 EcoDiesel Rubicon
Occupation
at a job
So was the number what Vroom gave you on the internet price what you agreed on? They gave me a price of $30,370
for my 2016 jku Willy which was considerably above carvana and KBB dealers. Just haven’t pulled trigger yet because I just ordered Gladiator last week.
Yep! Vroom was way above Carvana, CarMax and local dealers. Everyone we spoke with just shook their heads and said they can't understand what Vroom's strategy is, but obviously to never look a gift horse in the mouth and just take the deal.

My assumption is this is a short-term bubble. Like maybe month or two long. If you're inclined to take the deal and can make arrangements for 8-12 weeks until your new Gladiator comes I would do it. A lot can happen to the market in that time.
Sponsored

u-joint

First Name
Inigo Montoya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Yes
Used vehicle prices are NUTS right now.

Just yesterday we sold our Sienna to Carmax for $3K less than we paid for it 2 years (and 12,000 miles) ago. We were able to roll that equity over into a brand new (and much nicer / more well equipped) Honda Pilot and ended up saving $60/month in monthly payments in the process.

Freakin' bonkers!

IMHO if you've got any desire to trade up, and a dealer has what you want on the lot, then jump on this right now. Eventually the used market well settle down, and I know we didn't want to miss this opportunity to bank some serious cash (and move up to a nicer car in the process).

Deleted member 39643

Mrbizkitt

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep JKU
Occupation
HVAC
Yep! Vroom was way above Carvana, CarMax and local dealers. Everyone we spoke with just shook their heads and said they can't understand what Vroom's strategy is, but obviously to never look a gift horse in the mouth and just take the deal.

My assumption is this is a short-term bubble. Like maybe month or two long. If you're inclined to take the deal and can make arrangements for 8-12 weeks until your new Gladiator comes I would do it. A lot can happen to the market in that time.
Awesome!! Guess I’ll jump on it

TTU03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Granite Willys
Regional I suppose. I was curious after purchasing a Willys last month for 42k I’m getting offers for 3k or so less. I would guess it’s possible for me to have gotten a better deal on my truck with more patience when I bought last month but even then I don’t think I would have dropped into the 30’s with the auto trans, 8.4, and hard top options I wanted. Was hopping to get a magical number and move up to a rubicon.

Sponsored

H_pipe

First Name
H-
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
I just sold my 2019 4Runner to Carvana. They offered $2200 over original MSRP and $4700 over what I paid for it 16 months ago. Their offer started at 37.5k and ended up at 43.2k. I kept reappraising it as I waited for my order to come in.

I ordered my Gladiator and ended up about 7 1/2% under invoice. I got lucky but it worked out very well in my case.

I actually ended up reappraising with Vroom as a backup and their offer went up almost 6k. Ended up being $500 higher than Carvana but i had the pickup scheduled same day so i just closed the Carvana deal.
Hello-
Curious- How often did you keep reappraising?
Every week, every couple days?
I wanted to try a few days ago but I also want the appraisal to last through Memorial Day weekend in case deals to buy can be had...

loud0g40oz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S
Hello-
Curious- How often did you keep reappraising?
Every week, every couple days?
I wanted to try a few days ago but I also want the appraisal to last through Memorial Day weekend in case deals to buy can be had...
the quoted price is only good for a week, so I would reappraise after the week and add a few more miles as I waited for my ordered G and drove the 4runner. My quote kept going up, so I don’t think there is a downside to quoting now and requoting as needed.

FYI, my 4Runner already sold on Carvana for 44k. Took less than a week, and they had it mislabeled as a lower model. They probably left at least 2k on the table because of that error.

as far as deals to be had, every dealer I talked to said everything on their lot is marked up over MSRP. I think things are going to get pretty tight inventory wise for the next 2 months or so. Best bet is to find one of the forum dealers still willing to deal on a custom order.

GotGladiator

First Name
Carlo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator MaxTow
Yeah vroom was fast, but kinda low for a 3100 miles G. I was expecting higher than
the quoted price is only good for a week, so I would reappraise after the week and add a few more miles as I waited for my ordered G and drove the 4runner. My quote kept going up, so I don’t think there is a downside to quoting now and requoting as needed.

FYI, my 4Runner already sold on Carvana for 44k. Took less than a week, and they had it mislabeled as a lower model. They probably left at least 2k on the table because of that error.

as far as deals to be had, every dealer I talked to said everything on their lot is marked up over MSRP. I think things are going to get pretty tight inventory wise for the next 2 months or so. Best bet is to find one of the forum dealers still willing to deal on a custom order.
Wifey already gave me the green light to upgrade! I am just waiting for a better offer for my G and to find the right price for a new one! Yup, the upcoming holiday plus end of month deals could be a great reason to trade up! I can actually settle for a 6k tow capacity. My new tt is only 5k lbs tops. We'll see.....

Wake1340

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL, Super Stock, 200 series LC, and FJ40
Occupation
Work
You guys are spot on with the used car prices! I had a 2018 Raptor that I paid 63 grand for drove for 3 years 27k miles and they gave me 61 (they sold it inTwo days for 67k)I had a 2018 JLUR that I bought for 43 and they gave me 46 with 6k miles on it (sold the same week I traded it in) I took all the equity and bought out right a 2021 JTR and put 20 in to fix it. I did have work done on both vehicles I am not really a stock guy. If the trade makes sense and you can get a good deal, I got my JT 62.5 MSRP for 53 grand, you should do it...

48FF8AB9-4F63-44C5-9D97-806DB5B78F47.jpeg

5AD52560-9F1C-472B-9874-16EE210617A3.jpeg

25278E93-645D-4BFE-9E45-48DF87F03345.jpeg

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
Do any of these over paying cash offer places as more for aftermarket? After having my jt for a year I think I’d be better off in a JLURD for my usage. I underpaid for my truck by a lot so I could totally afford to take some hit in the aftermarket stuff I have added. But definitely don’t wanna take all of it as I’m into it 20k or so in aftermarket between parts and labor.

Sponsored

GotGladiator

First Name
Carlo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator MaxTow
Do any of these over paying cash offer places as more for aftermarket? After having my jt for a year I think I’d be better off in a JLURD for my usage. I underpaid for my truck by a lot so I could totally afford to take some hit in the aftermarket stuff I have added. But definitely don’t wanna take all of it as I’m into it 20k or so in aftermarket between parts and labor.
Oh man. That's a lot of dough you've invested! But of course- as long as you're happy! I've probably only spent less than $1200 on my ride.
I don't think you could get more discount paying "cash" as the dealer won't make more $ from you. A least that was my experience. However, at this point, I'll go with whatever best deal: cash or finance. Or I can just keep what I have....but really, why did I stumble on this subject?! Lol.

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Oh man. That's a lot of dough you've invested! But of course- as long as you're happy! I've probably only spent less than $1200 on my ride.
I don't think you could get more discount paying "cash" as the dealer won't make more $ from you. A least that was my experience. However, at this point, I'll go with whatever best deal: cash or finance. Or I can just keep what I have....but really, why did I stumble on this subject?! Lol.
Yea I got a bunch wrapped up into it. And at any given time I’ve normally got something in the mail in the way to be installed and something else sitting in my garage and a gamelan for the next few thousand spent

GotGladiator

First Name
Carlo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator MaxTow
Yea I got a bunch wrapped up into it. And at any given time I’ve normally got something in the mail in the way to be installed and something else sitting in my garage and a gamelan for the next few thousand spent
Hahaha. Give me some of your MONEY!
I still have 5-6 unopened amazon boxes for tt accesories. It's been sitting in my formal living room(also known as storage room) for more than 2 weeks. I'm talking about less than 500 bucks. But you dude really like to shop! :rock:

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hahaha. Give me some of your MONEY!
I still have 5-6 unopened amazon boxes for tt accesories. It's been sitting in my formal living room(also known as storage room) for more than 2 weeks. I'm talking about less than 500 bucks. But you dude really like to shop! :rock:
Im far from rich.. More so just bad with money & buy what I want as long as it isnt going to stop my bills from being paid.

TommyGp

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 EcoDiesel Rubicon
Occupation
at a job
How long is short term though? Last April used truck prices jumped 27% from the year prior, been going up ever since.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a36211730/used-car-shoppers-deals/
Agreed completely. It's just so hard to predict when Vroom will stop outpricing the market on offers given they are offering around 8-10% more than the other online dealers I checked and a solid 7% higher than the best dealer offer we received.

Prices will stay elevated for a while, but the gamble is really about how long Vroom will continue trying to buy market power. Your guess is as good as anyone else's.
Sponsored