Sponsored

Trailer brake connector without the ADH sales code cable plug.

Kgrass

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Diesel
Occupation
Retired
I went looking for my trailer brake controller plug today. Below you will see two pics of a plug that I found that was taped up behind my driver side speaker pod, this was the location I was expecting to find the trailer brake controller plug. Can anyone identify what purpose this plug would serve.

Has anyone else have a tow package without a trailer brake controller plug and how did you overcome it. The recommended wiring harness PN82216416AA is not available.

any guidance would be greatly appreciate.

80886263-7E0F-4641-A528-1CB977A19A6F.jpeg

BF73DD14-0DD4-4FAD-950C-088A45B4EF09.jpeg
Sponsored

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
As said in another post thats not the plug. Its in the kick panel and not in the dash.

OP
OP

Kgrass

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
As said in another post that's not the plug. Its in the kick panel and not in the dash.
I know that's not the plug, I ask if anyone could tell me what that plug was for. I have also checked under the kick panel, still no trailer brake plug.

CallMeJoe

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Occupation
Retired
It's not difficult to add a brake controller on vehicles not equipped from the factory. I added one on my JLUR. You've got 4 wires:
One goes from the brake controller to the 7 way plug for brakes. (10 gauge wire). Two wires connect directly to the battery. (10 gauge wire). The hardest part (not that hard) is finding the wire that goes to the third brake light. That wire can be found by tracing it physically back from the light, or use a schematic to determine wire color in the harness under the passenger side floor kick panel. This is the "trigger" wire that goes to the brake controller to tell it the brakes are applied.
Don't even try to connect to the brake switch circuit. Just attach the "trigger" wire to the third brake light. That controller circuit doesn't pull much juice. On the order of 200 or so milliamps (.2< amps) so it can be small. 16 gauge is appropriate...

OP
OP

Kgrass

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
It's not difficult to add a brake controller on vehicles not equipped from the factory. I added one on my JLUR. You've got 4 wires:
One goes from the brake controller to the 7 way plug for brakes. (10 gauge wire). Two wires connect directly to the battery. (10 gauge wire). The hardest part (not that hard) is finding the wire that goes to the third brake light. That wire can be found by tracing it physically back from the light, or use a schematic to determine wire color in the harness under the passenger side floor kick panel. This is the "trigger" wire that goes to the brake controller to tell it the brakes are applied.
Don't even try to connect to the brake switch circuit. Just attach the "trigger" wire to the third brake light. That controller circuit doesn't pull much juice. On the order of 200 or so milliamps (.2< amps) so it can be small. 16 gauge is appropriate...
I was hoping just to do the plug and play, my back up is going to be the blue tooth brake controller. I was trying to avoid pulling wire and if I have to, I was going to use a
brake switch from E-trailer.

I appreciate your input, very informative.

Sponsored

Awhitebuff

First Name
Buff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland Diesel
Occupation
Retired
I have a 2021 Diesel also. Has tow package. I found the trailer brake plug under the dash just to the left of the throttle pedal. Couldn't see it but stuck my hand up there and found it on top of a harness of other wires. Works like a charm. No re-programing needed. Have not seen the other plug you are asking about.

OP
OP

Kgrass

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I have a 2021 Diesel also. Has tow package. I found the trailer brake plug under the dash just to the left of the throttle pedal. Couldn't see it but stuck my hand up there and found it on top of a harness of other wires. Works like a charm. No re-programing needed. Have not seen the other plug you are asking about.
Thank you, I haven’t checked that area.

Josh00333

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
Just get the Curt. It's blue tooth yes, but the controller simply plugged in line ie wired.

The blue tooth is simply for the phone interface. Once you set it up those setting are memorized on the controller and it will work with out your phone.

Now having the phone gives you the manual engagement and monitoring; but the unit will work if your phone dies breaks or is lost.
Sponsored