Sponsored

Trailer brake controller

Lost1wing

Well-Known Member
First Name
Tim
Joined
Dec 22, 2020
Threads
24
Messages
2,671
Reaction score
2,958
Location
West Georgia
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AMT
I use the Echo with a Mercedes ML 350 and Honda Ridgeline. It is great for multiple tow vehicles so I also recommend it. I just installed a Curt Spectrum in the ‘41 Edition Willys we just got because I expect the Gladiator to be our primary tow vehicle. I have not yet towed a trailer with brakes since installing it.

In my opinion, the only drawbacks to the Echo are the need to keep the phone app running to be able to manually apply the trailer brakes and the weight of the unit hanging on the 7-pin connector for long-term use. The rubber strap broke on mine so I use a strip of velcro to support it

installation of the Spectrum is plug-and-play with the correct adapter cable (51526 or 51527) that plugs into the OEM connector located under the dash on the left side. I mounted the main module to the lower dash frame below the steering wheel and the control knob to the plastic panel (see photos attached).
IMG_2989.webp
IMG_2990.webp
)
I considered the Jeep OEM controller, but the dealer told me it was backordered with no estimated delivery date and I did not want to remove the 12V outlet.
Curt also has a button that you can connect to apply the brake. No phone needed. The only thing you need to do with your phone would be to select the towing program if you swap it between different trucks . It Curt Echo will remain on the last program used and the panic button will connect to the plug. It works well, but not for technology weak people. I have loaded it out but had to set it up for a few individuals.
Sponsored

 

GerryAZ

Member
First Name
Gerry
Joined
Jul 29, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
22
Reaction score
41
Location
Phoenix, AZ
Vehicle(s)
2026 Willys '41 Edition
Occupation
Electrical Engineer (semi-retired)
As I noted before, the Curt Echo is a good device for multiple tow vehicles. The manual button Curt offers for it still requires the phone for the Bluetooth connection to the Echo, but the Echo application can be running in the background. Without the button, the application must be on the screen to manually apply the trailer brakes. The Echo functions without the application running or Bluetooth connection using its last configuration, but there is no way to manually apply the trailer brakes.
 

OldGriz

Member
First Name
Matt
Joined
May 18, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Location
Lanesville, Indiana
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon (JT)
Occupation
Just Livin'
i run this
https://www.redarcelectronics.com/us/tow-pro-liberty-electric-brake-controller

Tow-Pro Liberty Electric Brake Controller EBRH-ACCNA

Gladiator/Wrangler suitable Tow-Pro Brake Controller Harness (TPH-022) TPH-022

Tow-Pro Mounting Kit EBMK-001
I have question if you don't mind? I had my RedArc Tow Pro Elite installed at my Jeep dealer and it's throwing a flashing red code "...check for suitable wiring on the trailer ground circuit." AND "...There is a voltage drop between the trailer ground and the vehicle ground." Do you have any experience with this code flash?
Sponsored

 
 







Top