First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 2005 TJ 2003 F250
Occupation
Retired
2020 Sport S 59K I talked to my dealer about changing the transmission fluid and they said its not recommended and if I am not having a problem leave it alone. I wanted to service the trains to prevent issues but the act like this is a strange idea. Selling dealer not the one I use for service tried to sell me on a flush with aftermarket treatment at 15,000. What recommendations do you have.
Sponsored

Rburns1776

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JT Mojave, '22 WL75 Overland, 21' BMW M1000RR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Information Security
Vehicle Showcase
The 850re (basically a ZF 8hp clone) has "lifetime" fluid. Theres no easy way to drain/fill/check level and no prescribed service interval for flushing the trans / replacing fluid . The 6sp calls for flush/new fluid at 30k miles IIRC. Thats probably why the dealer raised an eyebrow at it. Personally Im not touching mine

49Gramps

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired Fire & EMS Dispatcher
I'd say the dealer looking to give you the flush just wants to flush your pocket!

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Trans flush seems unnecessary in these. A differential fluid change? Absolutely.

i tow regularly and have had mine done twice in 83,000 miles. The first time the shop actually found that my rear dif blew some teeth and needed to be replaced. So it was definitely worth the service.

why at the dealership some may ask? I have an extended warranty that has pretty specific language about certified techs doing services on covered parts. So Ill keep having the shop do the services until im passed 100,000.

And im glad I have since the warranty has paid more out in repairs than I paid into it haha

Rburns1776

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JT Mojave, '22 WL75 Overland, 21' BMW M1000RR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Information Security
Vehicle Showcase
Trans flush seems unnecessary in these. A differential fluid change? Absolutely.

i tow regularly and have had mine done twice in 83,000 miles. The first time the shop actually found that my rear dif blew some teeth and needed to be replaced. So it was definitely worth the service.

why at the dealership some may ask? I have an extended warranty that has pretty specific language about certified techs doing services on covered parts. So Ill keep having the shop do the services until im passed 100,000.

And im glad I have since the warranty has paid more out in repairs than I paid into it haha
Yup, diff and transfer case regularly for sure especially If you're towing

Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
The "Lifetime Fluid" is a Jeep and it's parent company decision. ZF that designed the transmission that FCA/Stellantis builds under license, recommends anywhere from a 50K to 80K mile service for their 8 speed transmissions.

I and others have done the fluid and filter service on them with no issue. It is not that complicated if you have a modicum amount of mechanical skills and the ability to follow a defined step sequence in a timely manner as fluid amount and level is determined by the the fluid temp.

There is plenty of videos on Youtube showing how to do a ZF 8 speed fluid change. It is recommended while still in warranty to use licensed ZF 8 speed spec transmission fluid.

75% of the job is the prep and staging. Use of a special scan tool to monitor fluid temps is not needed and the cluster temp gauge page will suffice.

Attachments

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
75% of the job is the prep and staging. Use of a special scan tool to monitor fluid temps is not needed and the cluster temp gauge page will suffice.
If I may add - if you have a phone and JSCAN, you can be under the truck, beside the truck, or having coffee near by and not go back and forth, and watch transmission temp.
Been a while since I really paid attention to the process, but it can all be done with simple tools.
But the exhaust is going to be hot, too......... so be careful.

Towing would be the reason I'd do a change but I'm in no hurry - it's rarely ever working that hard and my towing isn't frequent.
I'm the sort that will use the ZF or MOPAR fluid, warranty or not.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
If I may add - if you have a phone and JSCAN, you can be under the truck, beside the truck, or having coffee near by and not go back and forth, and watch transmission temp.
Been a while since I really paid attention to the process, but it can all be done with simple tools.
But the exhaust is going to be hot, too......... so be careful.

Towing would be the reason I'd do a change but I'm in no hurry - it's rarely ever working that hard and my towing isn't frequent.
I'm the sort that will use the ZF or MOPAR fluid, warranty or not.
man…guess Ill have to do this now 🤦‍♂️

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
man…guess Ill have to do this now 🤦‍♂️
I've got a long ways to go - no hurry for me. Prior transmissions went tens of thousands of miles with more HP and torque going through them, and they weren't as "sealed" as these are. Temperature is controlled a lot more and better on these as well.
I'll likely do like what I've always done - go up to 70-80K at least.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I've got a long ways to go - no hurry for me. Prior transmissions went tens of thousands of miles with more HP and torque going through them, and they weren't as "sealed" as these are. Temperature is controlled a lot more and better on these as well.
I'll likely do like what I've always done - go up to 70-80K at least.
Im at 83,000 haha so i guess its time to learn how to do this on my own

Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Think now that every auto tranny made has "life time" fluid it them, and no dipstick. Does doesn't mean that you can't do a fluid change on them. I might do mine around the 50K mile mark.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
OP
OP

rr11

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for the information. The first dealer tried to sell me a service and aftermarket chemicals, that was a red flag to me. The second who has appeared to be trustworthy service department advised to not service it. I'm right at 60K so I now will plain on changing the fluid and filter. I now believe it's a job I can accomplice with out creating issues for my self.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the information. The first dealer tried to sell me a service and aftermarket chemicals, that was a red flag to me. The second who has appeared to be trustworthy service department advised to not service it. I'm right at 60K so I now will plain on changing the fluid and filter. I now believe it's a job I can accomplice with out creating issues for my self.
The second one is closer to the truth.
I will never use any after-market chemicals in a transmission. I just won't. I've opened them up later when customers tried to get some more miles out of a transmission that could have been more cheaply repaired - it can be a mess.
The fluids cost money because they are made with the exact chemistry those seals, bands and clutch plates need. Most are steel rings and teflon seals, but if you'd seen some of the rubber seals and other materials used - how the chemicals affected them, I call it abusive.
Automatic transmissions, even years ago, were as much art as science, IMO. Ask Ford about all of their experimentation to find the right fluid - check out how many years Ford insisted use only Type F only to have to drop it later because of the problems it solved (and to this day some people swear by it in NON-Ford transmissions. I swear at it. )

Since "by the book", technically according to Jeep, these are 100,000 mile transmissions, or lifetime for that matter, any Jeep dealer trying to sell you service on an automatic with fewer miles is - well, did you REALLY need that belt or hose or wiper blades?
I'm at least 70,000 miles from mine getting serviced. Unless I end up abusing it, towing more, whatever. I may change my mind with a plow on the front. Lots of shifting, lots of back and forth. Still, it won't happen real soon.

OP
OP

rr11

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I have a 03 F250 6,8 L V10 4X4. on it the manual says 30 to 60K depending on use. I change the filter every 60K but it has a drain plug on the trans so every 10K I drain the pan and replace the 6 quarts that drains out. appears to be working I have over 260K on it with out a issue. Was hoping to keep the trans in the JT longer than a 100K life time.
Sponsored