Trying to track down a clunk in the front end

Nicepackage

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Been trying to track down this clunk coming from the front end and can't seem to nail it down. Experience the sound when going over bumps or sometimes when I turn the wheel sharply at a low speed, ie: backing out the driveway. At first I thought it might be the tierod so I replaced both the tierod and draglink with Metalcloaks greaseable ones, still the noise percieded. Also installed the Synergy sector shaft brace but to no avail. Everything seems tight everywhere I just can't pin down the noise. I can recreate the noise if I seesaw the steering wheel back and forth. Haven't owned a jeep before but read about the JL's ball joints and wheel bearings being an issue without many miles on them I wonder if this could be an issue on the Gladiators early on as well?
Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
You have probably already checked it but I would think possibly shock bolt or sway bar bolt.

T - Rex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S
Your sway bar links can do this, grab one and see if it moves, it doesn't take much for those guys to rattle.

STEELCITYDJ87

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTM White, 2021 JLR Black
Same thing for me. Stock JTR. Dealer said it’s steering box wait until it’s replaced. Still does it. Now back to dealer.
Let me know if you solved it.

Sponsored

JoseQ_80

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport 80th Anniversary Bright White
Occupation
Highway Engineer
I disconnected the sway bar before going off road, then put them back on with the stock hardware.

About two weeks later I started hearing a noise like you described going over bumps or changing direction.

I checked the sway bars and the passenger's side was loose, I tightened it and it has been quiet ever since.

Deleted member 30519

I gotta check this out. I was messing around on a snow bank the other day and now I get the same clunk at low speeds going down my gravel driveway in light snow. Can this be tightened without jacking it ?

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
I gotta check this out. I was messing around on a snow bank the other day and now I get the same clunk at low speeds going down my gravel driveway in light snow. Can this be tightened without jacking it ?
Pretty much all suspension components should be tightened with the Jeep on the ground.

JK4AER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2003 TJ Rubicon
As mentioned, check the swaybar end links. I've had a similar sound after installing my AEV lift that I just figured out today. It was a front end link.

Forum Crawler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Working for the man every night and day
Low speed, front end clunking noise here. Not an issue on the road at speed, but if I’m “off road” going slow or going slow around bad roadway I hear it. Sounds like something is clunking around loose, but only heard at slow speeds really. Re-torqued everything suspension related but it’s still persisting.

Ugh.

Last edited:

Sponsored

TrainMan

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Chevy Silverado, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S.
I have the Mopar lift. It makes popping and clunking noises, but only when it's cold outside! Just this evening, it was 19 degrees and I felt a clunk in the brake pedal after backing up. Then it made a fairly loud popping noise in the rear after turning through the McDonald's drive through. Again, I only notice these things when it's well below freezing. Weird.

Deleted member 30519

Low speed, front end clunking noise here. Not an issue on the road at speed, but if I’m “off road” going slow or going slow around bad roadway I hear it. Sounds like something is clunking around loose, but only heard at slow speeds really. Re-torqued everything suspension related but it’s still persisting.

Ugh.
Did you check the control arms? I had this problem like 6 months ago and the shop I use said it was the one of the front control arms and then it was fine for a while until I recently took my JT to the dealership last month for the tsb and they suckered me into saying my suspension was over torqued ( and charged me to fix ) now all the sudden I'm having clunking again. How convenient.

Forum Crawler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Working for the man every night and day
So I think I figured mine out. Local Jeep shop I trust says JK and JL track bars infamous for getting loose and noisy. Recommends more than the 110 ft lbs OEM recommends so took it up to 120.

All suspension re-torqued. Impeccable, nearly new Icon suspension.

Still a noise. Slow speeds only it seems.

Then the ah-ha moment. Seems the passenger side tie rod end clunks when you grab and twist it. Defective as it’s all torque to spec. Same thing, same side for drag link. More torque won’t fix that, it’s defective.

Going to dealer for new parts. Will report back.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
So I think I figured mine out. Local Jeep shop I trust says JK and JL track bars infamous for getting loose and noisy. Recommends more than the 110 ft lbs OEM recommends so took it up to 120.

All suspension re-torqued. Impeccable, nearly new Icon suspension.

Still a noise. Slow speeds only it seems.

Then the ah-ha moment. Seems the passenger side tie rod end clunks when you grab and twist it. Defective as it’s all torque to spec. Same thing, same side for drag link. More torque won’t fix that, it’s defective.

Going to dealer for new parts. Will report back.
Yeah, tie rods and drag link do rotate just a bit. They need to.
Sponsored