Sponsored

Turning off the radio without shutting the screen off completely ??? ( 2021 8.4")

s alex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Gladiator Rubicon
Guys, how do I do this ?? I know all about hitting mute, and turning the volume down.
I just want to turn the radio off, and still have the screen on but I don't think is possible.

TIA
Sponsored

Last edited:

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR, '08 JKUX, '08 JKUS
Sorry, but this is confusing... you want to turn it off, but have the screen stay on? For what purpose?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Hit mute.
Seriously, it used to be, maybe still is, that if you hit mute, then go park the truck for 5 minutes, get back in and star it, it's back to the last volume it was set to, NOT muted.
My wife's GC used to piss me off as I'd hit mute then get back in it later only to fine the thing was still playing - it automatically unmuted at each start.
There's no way to kill the danged radio, unfortunately. Not without killing the screen. Wish there was.
I often want to get in and drive and have NO radio, no music at all. These are programmed by people who believe every human should be listening to music no matter what. It's like Hotel California - you can mute it but it's gonna come back and shove music in your ears next start unless they've changed 'em.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Or rotate the volume knob counterclockwise.
That's the only thing that actually works. It's like "no, this is JEEP speaking you WILL listen to the radio, we insist!" Mute unmutes at a restart.

OP
OP
s alex

s alex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Gladiator Rubicon
Sorry, but this is confusing... you want to turn it off, but have the screen stay on? For what purpose?
What's confusing ?? The reason is to use the screen for the other apps, without the radio on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
s alex

s alex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Gladiator Rubicon
Hit mute.
Then it mutes paired Bluetooth phone calls, texts. I just want to turn the radio off but have the screen on.

KQL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking for gladiator
Change the source to USB.
I listen to music from my USB stick all the time (my input is always on USB). But when I start the truck, 75% of the time it switches back to Radio. Pretty annoying. My routine most days:
1. Get in truck and start it
2. Put into reverse, drive 3 feet
3. Realize it’s switched back to radio
4. Stop, shift into neutral (M/T), take off my gloves, hit the little “X” to close backup cam screen (its on “delay”), press Media button to make the source switch back to USB, put gloves back on
5. Continue reversing down my driveway

just pressing the Media button forces it back to USB, I don’t have to dive deeper into the source selection.
So while this is a good tip, there may be something in the programming that defaults it back to Radio even when on USB? Although the intermittent nature of my unit’s behavior might be a one-off glitch?

Sponsored

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
I listen to music from my USB stick all the time (my input is always on USB). But when I start the truck, 75% of the time it switches back to Radio. Pretty annoying. My routine most days:
4. Stop, shift into neutral (M/T), take off my gloves, hit the little “X” to close backup cam screen (its on “delay”), press Media button to make the source switch back to USB, put gloves back on

just pressing the Media button forces it back to USB, I don’t have to dive deeper into the source selection.
So while this is a good tip, there may be something in the programming that defaults it back to Radio even when on USB? Although the intermittent nature of my unit’s behavior might be a one-off glitch?
Mine acts in a similar manner with CarPlay as the source.
If playback is paused when I shut it off, about 25% of the time, the source switches to radio upon restart.
It’s like Jeep insists you listen to something.

Kevin

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

That would have been helpful to know in the first post, then people have a baseline to work with.

Panthers65

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Occupation
Account Manager
is there even a way to turn the radio off completely with the Jeep on? I've had a few times where my carplay apps will freeze up or not load. Seems the only way to reset the radio is to turn the jeep off.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Nope. That is how ours have acted as well.
Yes mute mutes everything including BT.
Talk about something being annoying....m

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
The Jeep is better than our Subaru with this. If the last thing I used in the Jeep was Android Auto then that's where it stays. If I'm not connected the radio doesn't play.
In the Subaru it plays the friggin radio as soon as you unplug Android, and it defaults to radio until you reconnect Android
Sponsored