Sponsored

Turning off the radio without shutting the screen off completely ??? ( 2021 8.4")

KQL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking for gladiator
That would have been helpful to know in the first post, then people have a baseline to work with.
I’m not the OP, just adding my experience with using USB in relation to silencing the radio.
Sponsored

OP
OP
s alex

s alex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Gladiator Rubicon
The Jeep is better than our Subaru with this. If the last thing I used in the Jeep was Android Auto then that's where it stays. If I'm not connected the radio doesn't play.
In the Subaru it plays the friggin radio as soon as you unplug Android, and it defaults to radio until you reconnect Android
And the only way you connect Android Auto in the Gladiator is with a cable , right ? No wireless.

KQL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking for gladiator
And the only way you connect Android Auto in the Gladiator is with a cable , right ? No wireless.
Not 100% on Android, but Apple CarPlay can be made wireless by buying a wireless adapter. The adapter is plugged into the USB port in the Jeep, then the phone connects to the adapter.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Not 100% on Android, but Apple CarPlay can be made wireless by buying a wireless adapter. The adapter is plugged into the USB port in the Jeep, then the phone connects to the adapter.
But that takes time and it defaults to radio because of the lag is my guess.
It's like fca made some deal with someone. You WILL listen to radio. We insist.

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
Yes but there are wireless adapters. I've never tried one. I always plug in unless it's just a short trip, then the radio isn't on.

Sponsored

HooliganActual

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Change the source to USB.
This is actually a good option. Personally, I always plug my phone in and Carplay "starts up" and automatically shifts the source to my phone. Then I can decide if I want music or not. Point is, plugging my phone in forces the shift away from all other sources...no radio.

EDIT: I know that none of this provides a built in solution for the OP but plugging your phone in can actually solve the issue. For me, as soon as I get in the vehicle, my phone goes on the holder (actually a magnet and not a clip in deal). If you don't like cables everywhere like me, I actually ran cables from the USB port in the center console, along the lower portion of the console and up behind the dash to reach my phone holders. Minimal cable exposure, my phone is charging and it forces the entertainment system over to my phone.

Here's where I brought the wires out:
Jeep Gladiator Turning off the radio without shutting the screen off completely ??? ( 2021 8.4") 03b_VortexDock

The cables reach the phone mounts (hard to see in this picture) on either side of the Garmin.
Jeep Gladiator Turning off the radio without shutting the screen off completely ??? ( 2021 8.4") 03a_VortexDock

Last edited:

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR, '08 JKUX, '08 JKUS
What's confusing ?? The reason is to use the screen for the other apps, without the radio on.
It was confusing the way you posted it. This response gives some clarity. And now you see others have responded with some ideas

jjs3845

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Overland
That's the only thing that actually works. It's like "no, this is JEEP speaking you WILL listen to the radio, we insist!" Mute unmutes at a restart.
it seems like all vehicles are doing that. At least something similar. I guess its the whole thing of the head unit being the entire brains of the car and it needs to be on. I don't see why it needs to be making noise though.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Then it mutes paired Bluetooth phone calls, texts. I just want to turn the radio off but have the screen on.
If you turn the volume down, then phone calls and notifications are not muted.

OP
OP
s alex

s alex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Gladiator Rubicon
If you turn the volume down, then phone calls and notifications are not muted.
I knew that all along. However, that wasn't what I asked.

Sponsored

rockymountainhigh

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport S Custom
Occupation
Graphic Artist
OP...I have the 7 radio in my Sport S so it might not be quite the same, but possibly of use to someone else searching for this. I too have wanted the radio off for various reasons, same as you. On my particular unit/screen, if the radio is on, I can simply press on Media, and it shuts off the radio...which I like greatly.

20230204_164138.jpg

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I knew that all along. However, that wasn't what I asked.
I understand. Your question excluded pressing the mute button or turning the volume down.

I've found that the only (best?) solution to turning down the radio quickly while still leaving the ability to talk on the phone or get phone notifications is to turn the volume down.

OP
OP
s alex

s alex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Gladiator Rubicon
I understand. Your question excluded pressing the mute button or turning the volume down.
Please read my comment again not only the post's title.

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
2 years before I found a mute button.