Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
it's okay, I know the feeling you are feeling right now. today was hard seeing all the other jeeps with their tops off 😪

Even with this experience I'd say go for it. I have gotten a lot of smiles per mile in the gladiator. My gladiator replaced my tacoma and my convertible bmw, and until recently was pretty sweet at filling both roles.
Me too. I'm selling my Tacoma TRDPro and sold my 2015 BMW Z4. I guess I won't be able to take corners at 70 like the beemer though.

Deleted member 28696

We all have our opinions. I wouldn’t call $45k an expensive vehicle, as an example.
For a Jeep JT 45K is entry level so it's on the cheaper side, I think the sport runs around that price.

ntwrkguru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Jeep Wrangler, 2020 Jeep Gladiator
For a Jeep JT 45K is entry level so it's on the cheaper side, I think the sport runs around that price.
Not sure what point you’re trying to make here. The 3.6 is in, I think, 12 vehicles with many trim levels across them. While it certainly sucks to have a new car, at any price, with engine issues, the fact is that there is an acceptable level of defects.

Deleted member 28696

Not sure what point you’re trying to make here. The 3.6 is in, I think, 12 vehicles with many trim levels across them. While it certainly sucks to have a new car, at any price, with engine issues, the fact is that there is an acceptable level of defects.
I think I misread your original comment, so we agree lol :)

Sponsored

andrew8404

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Paramedic
Always been a Yota guy too but the 3rd gen is complete crap. Sounds like the new Tundra sucks too. One of the most reliable engines out there right now is the V6 in the Jeep. But the days of "reliable" engines is over with everything going hybrid or electric.

rayvonp

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021Gladiator, 2018 Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Boeing
And I hate when people compare Jeep to Toyota I had a Tacoma back in 16, and I’m gonna tell you there’s plenty of people on the Tacoma forums that complain about issues with their tracking what not so I hate people compare their Jeep to a Toyota every manufacturer has problems and every manufacturer has customers who think there’s problems with their vehicles

OP
OP
KWin

KWin

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lotus Elise, BMW 328I, Toyota Tacoma, Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Engineer
And I hate when people compare Jeep to Toyota I had a Tacoma back in 16, and I’m gonna tell you there’s plenty of people on the Tacoma forums that complain about issues with their tracking what not so I hate people compare their Jeep to a Toyota every manufacturer has problems and every manufacturer has customers who think there’s problems with their vehicles
didn't expect you to hate me. my previous 3 new cars had been 2 toyotas and 1 Nissan. no issues. this is my first jeep, And in my family the 2nd one to get major warranty work (my dad has a diesel cherokee enough said)

hopefully your hate for me makes your 4th of July like mine, jeepless and missing out on your vacation

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
I’m also a Toyota guy, but look at the Jeep this way: it’s that crazy girlfriend that might stab you, but she’s a lot of fun. I fully knew Jeep reliability is the very definition of the poorly-made vehicle cliche. I figured if the roof leaks, or the engine ticks, or I get the death wobble (tm), I hope I can still laugh and say “yeah, a Jeep will do that”.
Sure sounds great, Jeep the “crazy girlfriend “. I look at yota trucks like this… plain Jane exterior, meth addict on the hidden interior (nothing like a rotted frame on a truck that is from the South). When she smiles she’s missing teeth! 🤣

just go set your Yota truck and take a nice drive with the top down doors off then go tow 7000+#s … oh wait Yota doesn’t have a convertible truck and Yota Tacoma’s suck at towing anything over 3000lbs. Just everyday suck with 5 speed transmissions and purposefully underpowered engines so y’all can think that the Yota is lasting longer while your taking time off of your life just trying to get anywhere.
No I’ll keep driving my MT Gladiator 2020 with 80,000 trouble free miles (Purchased October 2019). I’ve owned plenty of Yota trucks, comfort sucked, power sucked, towing sucked, on road sucked, off road sucked… yes IMOP they just sucked in real world daily.driving extremely uncomfortable for me unlike my “crazy girlfriend” (I’m 6’1” long legs and they lay flat out on the floor as the Yota has no real front footwell, seat sits nearly floor height)

I was active duty military and I “embraced the suck” back then… don’t need to do that any longer unless my choice running a 250 mile Ragnar Relay Race.

OP
OP
KWin

KWin

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Sure sounds great, Jeep the “crazy girlfriend “. I look at yota trucks like this… plain Jane exterior, meth addict on the hidden interior (nothing like a rotted frame on a truck that is from the South). When she smiles she’s missing teeth! 🤣

just go set your Yota truck and take a nice drive with the top down doors off then go tow 7000+#s … oh wait Yota doesn’t have a convertible truck and Yota Tacoma’s suck at towing anything over 3000lbs. Just everyday suck with 5 speed transmissions and purposefully underpowered engines so y’all can think that the Yota is lasting longer while your taking time off of your life just trying to get anywhere.
No I’ll keep driving my MT Gladiator 2020 with 80,000 trouble free miles (Purchased October 2019). I’ve owned plenty of Yota trucks, comfort sucked, power sucked, towing sucked, on road sucked, off road sucked… yes IMOP they just sucked in real world daily.driving extremely uncomfortable for me unlike my “crazy girlfriend” (I’m 6’1” long legs and they lay flat out on the floor as the Yota has no real front footwell, seat sits nearly floor height)

I was active duty military and I “embraced the suck” back then… don’t need to do that any longer unless my choice running a 250 mile Ragnar Relay Race.
agreed these are the exact reasons I went gladiator instead of supercharger on the taco. I'm 6'2" and my knee would be in the parking break, I also like the 10" more interior space of the gladiator compared to my taco, these are all reasons I'm bummed that my girl friend has had another dude deep inside her... engine bay.
I honestly wouldn't miss the taco as much if it was in the shop for a comparable time.

Sponsored

DirkG

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
From someone who's owned Acuras for 20 years, I understand the value of Japanese engineering. While my wife is usually the one driving the Acura (not always), I have owned many other brands. I realize there's a risk/reward ratio which each of the brands and often the greater the risk, the greater the reward.

My JT is my first Stellantis product and even 5 years ago, no way was I touching a Chrysler product. My first hint of a change was a few years ago on a business trip, I rented a Chrysler 300 and it had the 3.6L V6. I was impressed with the engine. It reminded me of the Honda/Acura 3.5L V6.

Fast forward a few years and I needed a truck - knowing it had the 3.6L V6 and quality ratings were improving under Stellantis - I decided to dive in and get the Gladiator. Now having owned my Gladiator for over 2 years, I'm never going back. No vehicle comes close to the enjoyment and "fun" I've experienced in my Jeep. A lot of this enjoyment comes from other people talking about and engaging me about my truck.

For the OP, the challenge that you're experiencing is that the risk/reward ratio is heavily skewed towards the risk side right now and it sounds like your vacation is/was affected. That's a tough pill to swallow when you're in the thick of it. It sounds like you were a huge fan of your Taco and you have more trust for the truck/brand. IMO, you might want to think about going back.

Spcbl1

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Mojave, 1997 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
Occupation
IT Director
agreed these are the exact reasons I went gladiator instead of supercharger on the taco. I'm 6'2" and my knee would be in the parking break, I also like the 10" more interior space of the gladiator compared to my taco, these are all reasons I'm bummed that my girl friend has had another dude deep inside her... engine bay.
I honestly wouldn't miss the taco as much if it was in the shop for a comparable time.
I think that quote sums everything up. Ive been without mine for over a month. She threw a bearing on 5/28 250 miles from home. New engine has been in for two weeks, only still waiting on VVT solenoids. I have other cars to drive so I am not stranded, but man I miss driving the gladiator, top off, doors off, off road etc. This past holiday weekend was the hardest seeing all the other jeeps enjoying the nice weather. I hope you get yours back soon.

OP
OP
KWin

KWin

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
I think that quote sums everything up. Ive been without mine for over a month. She threw a bearing on 5/28 250 miles from home. New engine has been in for two weeks, only still waiting on VVT solenoids. I have other cars to drive so I am not stranded, but man I miss driving the gladiator, top off, doors off, off road etc. This past holiday weekend was the hardest seeing all the other jeeps enjoying the nice weather. I hope you get yours back soon.
this weekend was soooo tough seeing everyone else, and even the classic CJs at the parade really made me miss the jeep, im sorry yours is in the shop too and hope it comes back to you soon.

OldButStillJeeping

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave, '92 Jeep YJ, 2017 F250 4WD
Every vehicle has it's positives and negatives.

If you primarily want reliability; Toyota or most Japanese vehicles are usually hard to beat. Had a few myself in my " raising a family " poorer days.

If you enjoy such things as incredible handling and high tech;. BMW, etc. Had a couple of those too. Sold them due to reliability. I miss the handling and tech sometimes. Not the repair costs.

If you enjoy driving an ICON in the vehicle world. Especially a Gladiator. You have possibly traded some reliability, (even that's questionable), for capability and going topless... and it's a Jeep.

I see posts like this and I would respectfully suggest you go back to Toyota. I don't think that your hearts in the right place to be happy with your Jeep.

Roklimo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gecko Green Mojave
This is my first sad post and just a complaining one to get attention in general. I've been pro-jeep for 6 months and 10k miles, and now I'm feeling the regret I've read about many times on these forums.

So I am screwed for my upcoming vacation plans. I feel like @ygrignon (except my travel plans are less epic) as I'm now having his exact same problem, I needed a truck and accidentally got a jeep. My jeep has been in the shop since Monday for a ticking noise coming from the engine. Now I wont be able to take my camper for my 4th of July and likely at this rate the following trip on the 12th of July. @JeepCares

Full story my engine started ticking at about 2000 miles in, and when I brought it in 5000 miles for the first oil change I told the service manager to have it checked out with the oil change and first service. Was told it they checked a new jeep and that this is normal on these engines. Now I'm at 10k miles and I know its not a "normal" sound so I scheduled a test drive of a new gladiator and turns out new jeeps don't have a loud ticking noise coming from the engine.

I don't mind that the jeep has a problem, but the fact that there is not a similar vehicle as a loaner/rental and the service is soooo slow due to the backlog of other broken cars, means that I can't take my trash to the dump, and I can't tow my camper to my scheduled vacation, and it is really leaving me in a bind.

This is my obligatory post where I regret getting a jeep and should have kept my tacoma, as at least toyota can fix a truck in under a week. :( This will impact my raving about how awesome max tow jeeps are in general.

Side note the fricken jeep wave customer hotline 844-JEEP-WAVE has too many digits to be an US phone number and verizon wont complete that call... Shows that the jeep waver hot line here must be coming from Western New Jersey @John in the Woods for the survey! Though if @jeepwave is hiring a customer hotline phone service answer-er I'm 100% ready for the job! ;)
Sounds familiar. Toyota Tacoma fuel pump recall. When they went out, they had no parts. People ended up with loaners for months. That was before the Covid supply chain issues.
Not a Jeep thing...
Sponsored