Sponsored

Two really great new reviews: Manual Gladiator review and 4K in-depth view

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Launch Edition, 2018 Acura NSX, 2016 Range Rover Sport SVR, 2018 Land Rover Discovery, 2017 Kawasaki Z900
Like many of you, I've been watching a few hundred hours of YouTube videos and they're basically all repeats of one another. But this past couple of days I watched two new ones that are pretty good and add some new unique angles.

First one, just released today, is the first review I've seen of the manual transmission. I think it's really worth a view if you're considering manual.

The second one is a really nice 4K walk-through of the truck in super high detail. Really gives you a good view of quality of materials and such.

Sponsored

o||||||o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Patriot
Thank you for posting these! I've been so curious about the manual transmission, nice to finally see a review of it.

jeeptrailrunner

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep JK Willys 6MT
Occupation
Nurse
Yes, thank you indeed. This guy from Redline always talks a mile a minute, but his reviews are good. I’ve had nothing but manual transmissions in my Jeep’s. Currently I have a 2016 2 door Willy’s 6MT, so this truck would be another manual for sure. I guess I get bored with automatics :)

2020 SCRAMBLER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
If Jeep could have equaled or improved upon the automatic's towing capacity, I'd have bought the manual hands-down. However it's a no-brainer to get almost 2x the towing capacity and avoid shifting for a -1 MPG penalty.

Overall, I really prefer a manual transmission. The only time I really want an automatic is out on the trails...working 3 pedals on 20*+ inclines/declines and off-camber situations is not my idea of fun.

Feels like this was a rigged death sentence on the manual transmission from the start...

DenverGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ stock, manual, over-sized tires, soft top, half doors
Thanks for sharing. Nothing in this review discourages me from getting a manual. Good thing, because I placed my order for a manual on Friday.

If you’re looking for a quick 0-60, a Jeep is not for you. Do you even notice a 7+ second vs a 8+ second start?

As someone who averaged a speeding ticket a year (for 14 years) in my manual 4-cylinder Wrangler, I prefer the sluggish start. I could never own a sports car because I’d be too dangerous ... Jeep is just right.

Sponsored

Epb1981

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 2011 corolla
Occupation
Fire Lieutenant
Like many of you, I've been watching a few hundred hours of YouTube videos and they're basically all repeats of one another. But this past couple of days I watched two new ones that are pretty good and add some new unique angles.

First one, just released today, is the first review I've seen of the manual transmission. I think it's really worth a view if you're considering manual.

The second one is a really nice 4K walk-through of the truck in super high detail. Really gives you a good view of quality of materials and such.

Great find. Thanks!

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
Thanks for sharing. Nothing in this review discourages me from getting a manual. Good thing, because I placed my order for a manual on Friday.

If you’re looking for a quick 0-60, a Jeep is not for you. Do you even notice a 7+ second vs a 8+ second start?

As someone who averaged a speeding ticket a year (for 14 years) in my manual 4-cylinder Wrangler, I prefer the sluggish start. I could never own a sports car because I’d be too dangerous ... Jeep is just right.
That's where the wide spaced MT and the (more) ponderous (than the competition) handling actually go together. Yes, the AT is faster. No, it won't jump from 2500rpm (in 3rd? 4th?) but that isn't the transmission's fault.
Driving our JKUR-MT, I hardly ever go 10 yards in 1st. Usually, I'm into 2nd by the time I'm a car length off a stop. Want to be in a hurry for $40-60k? buy a Challenger.

OP
OP
trez63

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Launch Edition, 2018 Acura NSX, 2016 Range Rover Sport SVR, 2018 Land Rover Discovery, 2017 Kawasaki Z900
Want to be in a hurry for $40-60k? buy a Challenger.
That's a little extreme don't you think? No one is implying the JT needs to be a TrackHawk, or as fast as a sedan, but 8.5 seconds for a $50k truck is a little dismal. The Chrysler Pacifica Minivan goes from 0 to 60 in 7.2 seconds. I know the off-road gearing makes the JT inherently slow, but it's nothing like 50 more HP couldn't have fixed. I have plenty of fast toys in my garage and really don't need the JT to go a lot faster, but I'm definitely going to jump on any performance mods that can get it to the 7 second mark just so I can get out of the danger zone a little quicker ...

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
That's a little extreme don't you think? No one is implying the JT needs to be a TrackHawk, or as fast as a sedan, but 8.5 seconds for a $50k truck is a little dismal. The Chrysler Pacifica Minivan goes from 0 to 60 in 7.2 seconds. I know the off-road gearing makes the JT inherently slow, but it's nothing like 50 more HP couldn't have fixed. I have plenty of fast toys in my garage and really don't need the JT to go a lot faster, but I'm definitely going to jump on any performance mods that can get it to the 7 second mark just so I can get out of the danger zone a little quicker ...
I suppose I also might have said "If you want to go fast, buy a Ranger and put a chip on it" or "If you want the Gladiator to accelerate the best it can, buy the automatic". I think the big takeaway from this (and any other) review is just how good the new automatic really is. Unless you insist on that inherent connection to the vehicle that comes from rowing your own boat (and to me, that's a big part of the entertainment), the automatic is just better, even at the $2000 price premium.
On the JK, the 6speed helped you squeeze out performance just a little bit over the 5spd auto, but the NSG370 was/is anything but quick shifting, especially with the mile-long clutch pedal throw. Everyone seems to agree that the new trans shifts better than the NSG. I find myself skipping gears a lot around town (1-2-4-6), but the ratios in the NSG are a lot closer (more conventional) than the new wide ratio AL6 trans. I'm watching inventory around here for a 6spd sport s to drive. Nothing yet.

iwantJT

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Honda Accord
My only let down was the drastic decrease in towing capacity the MT has. I’m planning on getting into overlanding with the family and possibly getting a boat as well. Will 4000lbs be enough to tow a decent boat? Idk anything about towing or boat, complete and outer noobs lol

Sponsored

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
My only let down was the drastic decrease in towing capacity the MT has. I’m planning on getting into overlanding with the family and possibly getting a boat as well. Will 4000lbs be enough to tow a decent boat? Idk anything about towing or boat, complete and outer noobs lol
Depends on what you call decent- a basic 19ft IO runabout weighs about 3500. Boats tow easy. From what I heard, the limitation is the clutch. AFAIK, the law only cares that you stay in your GVWR and axle weight ratings.

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
Yeah I'm getting into overlanding too and thats why I'm looking at off road trailers at the 3500lb mark. I am also considering the rubicon since its 4500 lbs towing vs 4000 lbs overland.

iwantJT

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Honda Accord
Yeah I'm getting into overlanding too and thats why I'm looking at off road trailers at the 3500lb mark. I am also considering the rubicon since its 4500 lbs towing vs 4000 lbs overland.
I thought the Rubicon was 4000lbs? That’s what they guy from the review said at least

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ