Ugh! Need thoughts and information

Birel33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland and a Ridgeline
Occupation
FF/EMT
I bought my Overland in Sept., I got everything except LED lights. I figured I’d add them later as the taillights became more available. Anyways my bed cover flew off into the wind right after having my bed Line-X lined by the dealer. It appeared that it ripped down the side. My dealership got it covered under warranty. I had already purchased another thinking there isn’t any way it would be covered. Props to my dealership for getting it covered.

My Overland has the old steering box, the dealership ordered it multiple times and it randomly showed up according to the dealership after telling me that it wouldn’t ship till 12/20 at the earliest. I took it to them for that and multiple other issues.

My Gladiator has been missing under light throttle pressure. It’s either a miss or the transmission is not locking into a gear. It only happens under light throttle application no matter how warm the engine is. There are no lights on the dash from this.

I also complained that the engine sounds like a diesel during remote starts, also sometimes during long idle periods. The engine is very loud and sounds like it’s ready to come apart.

My last complaint is the drivers seat started clicking. I’ve got factory heated leather seats. When I take off from a standing start the seat has a very loud click and when I come to a stop it clicks, from the seat back from the drivers prospective. My wife says it sounds like it’s at the floor.

The dealership has had it for 5 days and didn’t return my call, they have driven it a total of 6 miles, but it appears it’s idled for several hours now.

I would like to hear your thoughts about the issues I’m having. I believe my dealership is working in my best interest.
Sponsored

ClunkyJeep

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I bought my Overland in Sept., I got everything except LED lights. I figured I’d add them later as the taillights became more available. Anyways my bed cover flew off into the wind right after having my bed Line-X lined by the dealer. It appeared that it ripped down the side. My dealership got it covered under warranty. I had already purchased another thinking there isn’t any way it would be covered. Props to my dealership for getting it covered.

My Overland has the old steering box, the dealership ordered it multiple times and it randomly showed up according to the dealership after telling me that it wouldn’t ship till 12/20 at the earliest. I took it to them for that and multiple other issues.

My Gladiator has been missing under light throttle pressure. It’s either a miss or the transmission is not locking into a gear. It only happens under light throttle application no matter how warm the engine is. There are no lights on the dash from this.

I also complained that the engine sounds like a diesel during remote starts, also sometimes during long idle periods. The engine is very loud and sounds like it’s ready to come apart.

My last complaint is the drivers seat started clicking. I’ve got factory heated leather seats. When I take off from a standing start the seat has a very loud click and when I come to a stop it clicks, from the seat back from the drivers prospective. My wife says it sounds like it’s at the floor.

The dealership has had it for 5 days and didn’t return my call, they have driven it a total of 6 miles, but it appears it’s idled for several hours now.

I would like to hear your thoughts about the issues I’m having. I believe my dealership is working in my best interest.
I am having similar issues under light throttle. Mine usually happens when I need to take my foot off of the gas and then reapply lightly. I feel and and hear the transmission engaging like there was slack somewhere. I also feel it when I need to brake slightly for a turn then get back in the gas. Almost feels like a manual of it is in too high of a gear then the clutch is being popped without much throttle.

After mine is warmed up I can also feel the transmission downshift through the gears as I am braking.

only seems to be an issue in lower gears. Drives great on the interstate though - ugh.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
After mine is warmed up I can also feel the transmission downshift through the gears as I am braking.

only seems to be an issue in lower gears. Drives great on the interstate though - ugh.
Uh, that's exactly what it's supposed to do! I have posted about this a couple of times. It senses when you are braking or if you go down a hill and hit the brakes and let off, it will downshift and apply engine braking down the hill.
This is normal.
You've never had an automatic downshift as you brake? They all do - but this one actually does something better - helps hold the hill.
Frankly, the way your sentences in the above quote read, you don't have any issue.

I'm really GLAD, happy these work like this. It's sure nice when TOWING in our hilly area. I've often not liked hilly drives with a trailer on behind or a big load in the box because the weight pushes you down the hill and you gain speed, having to tap the brakes constantly. Not with these and I love it.

Cmiata

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gobi gladiator overland
Occupation
seamless gutter installation
Same issue, regarding shifting, no missing though. Once the transmission has downshifted after slowing down and throttle is applied again there is definitely some slack. It feels like slack in the driveshaft u joints or something similar. Slight clunking and not smooth. I mentioned to the dealer when I had in it in to check the steering and they didn't notice anything. When I go in for the tsb repair I will bring it up to them again as it seems to be even more noticeable now.

ClunkyJeep

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Uh, that's exactly what it's supposed to do! I have posted about this a couple of times. It senses when you are braking or if you go down a hill and hit the brakes and let off, it will downshift and apply engine braking down the hill.
This is normal.
You've never had an automatic downshift as you brake? They all do - but this one actually does something better - helps hold the hill.
Frankly, the way your sentences in the above quote read, you don't have any issue.

I'm really GLAD, happy these work like this. It's sure nice when TOWING in our hilly area. I've often not liked hilly drives with a trailer on behind or a big load in the box because the weight pushes you down the hill and you gain speed, having to tap the brakes constantly. Not with these and I love it.
Maybe I’m not explaining correctly. I get it that if I am coasting to a light it is using engine braking and each time it would downshift it would be in a lower gear and slowing down more. That isn’t what I think is an issue. It’s when I am braking in a short distance and I can feel a clunk as it shifts through each gear. It’s isn’t using engine braking in each gear. It is downshifting through the gears, basically stopping at each one for a quarter second and making clunk that can be heard and felt.

Have had several trucks in automatic for work and personal towing and have never felt anything like this.

if this is a program strictly for towing then it is really sacrificing regular driving. There should be a tow button. You can keep yours like that if you want. Mine feels like a novice driver with stick shift.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
It’s when I am braking in a short distance and I can feel a clunk as it shifts through each gear. It’s isn’t using engine braking in each gear. It is downshifting through the gears, basically stopping at each one for a quarter second and making clunk that can be heard and felt.
That's different - it should be a smooth downshift. Yes, you'll feel it, but quiet and smooth and you feel it drop in speed as it downshifts - but no clunk. I can feel my truck slow - but it's quiet, no clunk, and no jerky motion or hesitation. It flows seamlessly from one gear to the next lower, then the next and so on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Birel33

Birel33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
FF/EMT
I don’t know if it’s the trans, it feels more like a miss in the engine. I’m not sure and I won’t be able to talk to the dealer till Monday. Hopefully they can figure it out

Alan_Hepburn

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Sport S; 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E
Occupation
Retired
It’s isn’t using engine braking in each gear. It is downshifting through the gears, basically stopping at each one for a quarter second and making clunk that can be heard and felt.
I can't comment on the clunking, but most automatic transmissions are sequentially shifted - they need to hit each gear going up or down. They are not like a manual gearbox where you can skip gears - unless they are programmed for it.

ShotCaller

First Name
vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
self employed
Mine sounds like this sometimes too. I was in the drive thru and I thought it was the guy in front of me with a diesel. When he left I realized it was me.

Also sounds like a diesel sometimes when starting..

Please post any updates....thanks.

OP
OP
Birel33

Birel33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
FF/EMT
I was contacted this morning by my dealership, they said my Overland was ready to be picked up.

When I picked it up they told me the installed the new steering box and bolts. They said they fixed my drivers seat, and they couldn’t hear a issue with the way the engine sounds.

The paperwork they gave me says they installed the steering box and bolts. Torqued them to the proper ft lbs, but it says nothing about any programming updates to the truck. The service manager told me that if there were any updates they would have been uploaded to my vehicle. I questioned him about it.

Well here is my impression of the steering update, I didn’t notice much of a difference. The vehicle still takes constant correction to keep it going straight down the road. I’m not overly impressed by it. It is smoother, but that’s about it.

My drivers seat still clicks when taking off and stopping, so nothing was fixed there. They told me they would order a new bottom frame.

As far as the noisy engine, they said they never heard it. I asked about it missing while under light acceleration and they said it didn’t do it for them. I asked if there were any codes stored, he said there were none.

I’m a little frustrated that they couldn’t seem to correct any of the issues. I’m thinking I’m going to take the hit and get a Toyota.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ShotCaller

First Name
vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
self employed
At least you have it on record that you told them about the engine noise.
Most dealers wont even bother to look at it if it isn't throwing any codes.

That's why I'm not even taking mine in until it throws a code or blows up.

ClunkyJeep

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I was contacted this morning by my dealership, they said my Overland was ready to be picked up.

When I picked it up they told me the installed the new steering box and bolts. They said they fixed my drivers seat, and they couldn’t hear a issue with the way the engine sounds.

The paperwork they gave me says they installed the steering box and bolts. Torqued them to the proper ft lbs, but it says nothing about any programming updates to the truck. The service manager told me that if there were any updates they would have been uploaded to my vehicle. I questioned him about it.

Well here is my impression of the steering update, I didn’t notice much of a difference. The vehicle still takes constant correction to keep it going straight down the road. I’m not overly impressed by it. It is smoother, but that’s about it.

My drivers seat still clicks when taking off and stopping, so nothing was fixed there. They told me they would order a new bottom frame.

As far as the noisy engine, they said they never heard it. I asked about it missing while under light acceleration and they said it didn’t do it for them. I asked if there were any codes stored, he said there were none.

I’m a little frustrated that they couldn’t seem to correct any of the issues. I’m thinking I’m going to take the hit and get a Toyota.
I am bringing mine in for one more try. If they play deaf and dumb I will have a decision to make. Either hang on to it through the warranty period or trade it at the end of 21. No sense in taking the hit right now.

ClunkyJeep

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
At least you have it on record that you told them about the engine noise.
Most dealers wont even bother to look at it if it isn't throwing any codes.

That's why I'm not even taking mine in until it throws a code or blows up.
Not sure the dealer has the ability to fix anything. They just seem to look for a code and then swap out a unit. Problem is that there is their acceptable range before a code and then there is yours.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

Test drive a 2021 to see if the steering box has a different feel in the 21 than yours. Is there another dealership you can take it to and have them look over these issues? Or maybe an independent mechanic? Better test drive a Toyota and see what you'll be missing from the Gladiator.

OP
OP
Birel33

Birel33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
FF/EMT
Test drive a 2021 to see if the steering box has a different feel in the 21 than yours. Is there another dealership you can take it to and have them look over these issues? Or maybe an independent mechanic? Better test drive a Toyota and see what you'll be missing from the Gladiator.
There is another dealership about an hour away. I’ll have to go driver a 2021, they are also a Toyota dealership. My Overland is a dual top truck, I know I’ll miss the convertible aspect. I got rid of my Z3 and traded a Toyota for the Gladiator. It’s just a bummer to have a vehicles with issues.
Sponsored