Sponsored

jeepit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM
Vehicle Showcase
I thought I was happy with my 3.6 V6 until I heard that V8 start up. In 2022 I will be be replacing my 2020 Gladiator, the future looks interesting Bronco/V8 Gladiator/Chevy Spark.
Me2, i feel the same way, given the mpg vs hp and the drag.
and hoping the same, 2022+ Gladiator might have v8, if a big if, wrangler gets it
Sponsored

Ozarkgolfer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland/BMW X2
Occupation
International Logistics
Didn't feel like reading all the way through but I do think it is kinda sad that Jeep would publish commercial for a concept vehicle that you cannot even have trying to steal attention from the Bronco that you really can buy. If they so choose Ford could go up to the 3.5 ecoboost and get more torque than the 6.4 discussed here and not have to make any changes hardly at all. I used to be a V8 guy but new technology has made them all but obsolete in most circumstances. As far as my Gladiator goes the only changes I think it needs is the 4wd Auto mode, heated AND cooled seats and maybe the diesel. I will not sell my Gladiator for a Bronco but I did reserve a Bronco. I tried to get a "First Edition" to stable up next to the "Launch Edition" but I was too slow.
You can send Ford your $100 to be on a dealer list for a final price of a vehicle yet to be determined - you apparently won't see a Bronco in the wild until at least next spring and maybe COVID might have something to do with that.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Didn't feel like reading all the way through but I do think it is kinda sad that Jeep would publish commercial for a concept vehicle that you cannot even have trying to steal attention from the Bronco that you really can buy. If they so choose Ford could go up to the 3.5 ecoboost and get more torque than the 6.4 discussed here and not have to make any changes hardly at all. I used to be a V8 guy but new technology has made them all but obsolete in most circumstances. As far as my Gladiator goes the only changes I think it needs is the 4wd Auto mode, heated AND cooled seats and maybe the diesel. I will not sell my Gladiator for a Bronco but I did reserve a Bronco. I tried to get a "First Edition" to stable up next to the "Launch Edition" but I was too slow.
That's a matter of personal opinion... One of which I completely disagree with. The ONLY time downsizing a truck engine has been a positive upgrade was when Chevy went from the 50 year old based design 5.7 350 engine design to the 5.3 324c.i. LS engines...But it still kept the same number of cylinders.

Under-Pressure

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
You can send Ford your $100 to be on a dealer list for a final price of a vehicle yet to be determined - you apparently won't see a Bronco in the wild until at least next spring and maybe COVID might have something to do with that.
The $100 deposit is sent to Ford & applied / used at a dealer of your choice. Base list prices for each model are available & you can still negotiate a below invoice price or apply various plans. X plan for example. I was told first editions could arrive by December & ordered units next spring. First editions are sold out. Order banks will be opening soon.

No IFS

First Name
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Banned
OK you can still put me in the skeptical column but I’m starting to get more hope for this. At first I was like no way never happen but there’s a rumor that the Raptors going to get a V-8 again To compete with the new rebel.I never thought that would happen. If FCA does a V-8 in the wrangler and the gladiator man that would turn this market upside down it would definitely put the bronco in a shadow. And I would have to own a V8 Gladiator immediately. LOL

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The more I look at the Bronco it looks more like a old Scout. Yeah, they brought back the Scout.
Actually, Ford has always copied the IH Scout from the very get-go. The IH Scout 80 was released in 1961, and the Ford Bronco wasn't until 1966, and almost a direct rip-off of the body shape, size, and design. :like:

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
That's a matter of personal opinion... One of which I completely disagree with. The ONLY time downsizing a truck engine has been a positive upgrade was when Chevy went from the 50 year old based design 5.7 350 engine design to the 5.3 324c.i. LS engines...But it still kept the same number of cylinders.
You said it when you said it is a matter of personal opinion. I had a 2011 F-150, the first year of the 3.5 ecoboost, but I bought the 302 instead. In the intervening years I have done a whole lot of research and I believe that the 3.5 is one of the best engines for light duty trucks. The extra weight of a V-8 compared to that of the V-6 will offers a lot of the performance advantages. Now if you could have the same, or even move power, Out of a V-6 why wouldn’t you? Thankfully since we are spending our own money and not each other’s we are free to get whatever we want...unless of course, you want a Gladiator with a V-8. Sorry brother I had to take that one.

d k

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
And then you compare the 3.5 to the later 2.7 with the 10 speed and its like HOLY MOLY.
How do they get that much power out of a little v6?

You said it when you said it is a matter of personal opinion. I had a 2011 F-150, the first year of the 3.5 ecoboost, but I bought the 302 instead. In the intervening years I have done a whole lot of research and I believe that the 3.5 is one of the best engines for light duty trucks. The extra weight of a V-8 compared to that of the V-6 will offers a lot of the performance advantages. Now if you could have the same, or even move power, Out of a V-6 why wouldn’t you? Thankfully since we are spending our own money and not each other’s we are free to get whatever we want...unless of course, you want a Gladiator with a V-8. Sorry brother I had to take that one.

Under-Pressure

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
And then you compare the 3.5 to the later 2.7 with the 10 speed and its like HOLY MOLY.
How do they get that much power out of a little v6?
The EcoBoost 10 speed combo is pretty sweet. Love mine!

Reactions: d k

Sponsored

IamWardicus

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently Driving: Sport S Max Tow Gladiator in Sting-Gray
Occupation
Management in a retail setting
I’m wanting to stick with a NA engine. Less to worry about breaking/maintaining. I know that turbochargers are obviously going to be reliable or else they wouldn’t be offered from the factory but I still have that mentality.
Excited to see what Jeep might do in the near future. This competition that comes from Ford is going to make things interesting. Hopefully by the September dealer sheets there’s a 5.7L V8 code near the top of each model. And if not I’ll still be happy to get a Gladiator I suppose.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep spent my money for me, when they didn't give me any engine options, or I would have gone with a 5.7 Hemi (if it was the only upgrade option), or definitely gone with a 6.4 Hemi (if it had also been offered). The Ford 5.0 Coyote engine is one of the lightest V8's on the market...It's an all-alumunim steel-sleeved engine, with aluminum heads and forged internals. Not only is it one of the lightest V8 engines on the market, but also the strongest factory-offered mass-production engine (as far as adding aftermarket power upgrades) that is being offered. It has been proven reliable at over 800+ RWHP with turbos and superchargers...And in some cases has handled over 1,500 RWHP for many passes down the track and on the dynos. And comes stock with 460 HP and 420 ft.lbs. of torque. I've owned 2 of them in Mustang GT Performance Packs (2012 & 2017) brand new off the lot. And the 5.0 Coyote engine weighs in at 444 lbs. with ALL the accessory-drive attached (complete crate, ready to drop-in). The 2.7L EcoBoost with the turbo assembly is 440 lbs. The 3.5 EcoBoost is 449 lbs. So, you can't say that it's lighter in weight... 4 pounds is still single-digit difference. The truck will never notice that.

Ford's numbers don't lie... The V6 and EcoBoost are still behind on performance and capabilities. You just truly can't make a V6 do what a V8 of equal build can do... Physics are physics. It's missing 2 of the cylinders.

Hell, the 5.0 V8 gasser is even beating-out the 3.0L PSD turbo-diesel V6 in payload...Only by 200 lbs. but still... A "W" is still a "W".

Jeep Gladiator Update: Jeep Reveals V8 Wrangler Rubicon 392 Concept With Hemi Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 7.11.58 PM

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Physics are physics and the number of cylinders has absolutely no bearing on the power output. The power output is a direct calculation of energy in-efficiency losses. In theory two engines of the same design, one a V8 and one a V6 the V8 will have approximately 33% more efficiency loss. But in practice it is usually higher than that. By taking a smaller engine and force feeding it energy(O2) you can create more power more efficiently. Back in the day there was an old saying that “there is no replacement for displacement,” and back in the day it was 100% true. But today it isn’t true anymore.

d k

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Yep

Current F1 Mercedes AMG 1.5 V6 has reached 50% thermal efficiency which is the highest for an internally combusted engine.

Physics are physics and the number of cylinders has absolutely no bearing on the power output. The power output is a direct calculation of energy in-efficiency losses. In theory two engines of the same design, one a V8 and one a V6 the V8 will have approximately 33% more efficiency loss. But in practice it is usually higher than that. By taking a smaller engine and force feeding it energy(O2) you can create more power more efficiently. Back in the day there was an old saying that “there is no replacement for displacement,” and back in the day it was 100% true. But today it isn’t true anymore.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
@JeepCares bring is the Hemi with a manual in the JT!!!!!!!
Sponsored