Sponsored

Dwosgood

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2000 TJ
I’m hoping they gauge the response to the 392 release and realize that a TON of buyers would be lining up for a V8 option in the JL/JT platform. Not even a 392. If a 5.7 would have been offered when I purchased mine I would have opted for it with no questions asked. Hopefully they get enough inquiries about the 392 version to make a couple production ones and put some serious thought into a V8 option.
Sponsored

IamWardicus

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently Driving: Sport S Max Tow Gladiator in Sting-Gray
Occupation
Management in a retail setting
Small aside: The concept 392 Jeep gets Selec-Trac with 450hp/450tq but the eco diesel does not with 260hp/442tq? I know it’s a concept but still.

Wizard5980

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM; TJ
Wasn't the issues with a factory V8 the safety ratings? I remember somewhere they discussed how the V8 will drop right in and fits like a glove. However, because it's so tight crash and safety rating would take huge hit which they can't accept.

Unless they re-engineer the line specifically to support a V8 I'd be surprised to see them offer it officially. As a concept everyone can see what the possibilities are. It makes more sense to keep the V6 with current ratings and make it easy to drop in an aftermarket crate engine for those who want it (and can afford it) for a line that is already accustom to being heavily modified right off the dealer lot.

I hope I'm completely wrong though! It would be awesome to see them offer a V8 and probably more affordable than the conversion!

salvino

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GC Trailhawk/ 2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE
Occupation
Finance Guy
Vehicle Showcase
For some IFS is a plus, for many it’s a minus.
Perhaps. The Bronco has a couple of other things going for it such as the IFS. Appears to have a modular hard top as well. I’m guessing there are also some other things Ford will improve upon. The new Bronco is going to be great for everyone. Finally something to give Jeep a kick in the a$$.

Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
I’m hoping they gauge the response to the 392 release and realize that a TON of buyers would be lining up for a V8 option in the JL/JT platform. Not even a 392. If a 5.7 would have been offered when I purchased mine I would have opted for it with no questions asked. Hopefully they get enough inquiries about the 392 version to make a couple production ones and put some serious thought into a V8 option.
I think far fewer than you realize. There's a difference between praising the idea or buying one 5 years down the road at 60-70% of the price than there is ponying up nice 1-ton or Land Cruiser money for a mid-size pickup.

calicorks

First Name
Courtney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boss 302
@JeepCares that was an awful awful trick! I was so excited to be getting a V8 and now you gone and pissed me off with a tease! I’m definitely going to look at the Bronco a little closer now because of your BS marketing move. I didn’t care about the Bronco, but I do now!

azrubi

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon

desertfox73

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon LE, 2019 Raptor SCrew
If the 392 can be offered as a stand-alone option, then great. Otherwise, if it's only offered as a package with a bunch of other parts I'd likely remove anyway...I'm less excited.

Sponsored

siggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Wrangler JKU
For some IFS is a plus, for many it’s a minus.
Agreed. But for 90-95% of folks, it's a plus. From a business standpoint it's better to cater to the 90% than the 10%. Soccer moms in my neighborhood will love the IFS. This is why it's great to have options.

siggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Wrangler JKU
@JeepCares that was an awful awful trick! I was so excited to be getting a V8 and now you gone and pissed me off with a tease! I’m definitely going to look at the Bronco a little closer now because of your BS marketing move. I didn’t care about the Bronco, but I do now!
I like it! Jeep must be nervous given today is the Bronco reveal. I love competition! The next couple of years are going to be great for us. The Mustang wouldn't be what it is today if it weren't for the Camaro, and vice versa. This is a beautiful thing.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Agreed. But for 90-95% of folks, it's a plus. From a business standpoint it's better to cater to the 90% than the 10%. Soccer moms in my neighborhood will love the IFS. This is why it's great to have options.
Not only IFS but rack and pinion. How many people around here bitch about how loose their steering is that would be much happier with that?

Dwosgood

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2000 TJ
I think far fewer than you realize. There's a difference between praising the idea or buying one 5 years down the road at 60-70% of the price than there is ponying up nice 1-ton or Land Cruiser money for a mid-size pickup.
I get that, that’s why I think the 392 idea is ridiculous, practically speaking. There are only a few people who can afford to buy something like that. But if I were given the option to buy a Sport S with Max Tow and a 5.7 Hemi V8 when I bought mine, for a standard factory engine upgrade price - not a “special edition” price - I’d be all over it. And I don’t think I’m alone here.

I don’t have time to research what the cost difference in a 2020 Ram 1500 V6 vs V8 are, but I imagine it’s not astronomical considering the amount of Hemi powered Ram 1500s there are on the road. If they could make that happen with the JT, I’d be on it like stink on shit when my lease is up.

People who can afford a special edition 392 JL are a different breed than those who just want the additional power and exhaust note a nice Hemi V8 would provide. It wouldn’t have to be 1-ton or Land Cruiser money either. If they can cram that monster of a 6.4l in the engine compartment at the factory, there’s no reason they can’t do the same with a 5.7l.
Sponsored