Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase

Under-Pressure

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I love the idea of V8 Gladiator but have no faith FCA will engineer it properly. The engineers seem to have a hard time getting the 3.6 to run on all 6 cylinders, the 8.4" radio from going black screen & steering that doesn't feel like your in a covered wagon. Maybe start with the basics before offering another parts bin headline maker.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Ozarkgolfer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland/BMW X2
Occupation
International Logistics
We bought our JT's with a V6, so Jeep doesn't owe us one red cent - they would never buy us out or modify our 'used' vehicles with any possible engine upgrade for a 'deal'. If you don't like what you have - a mid size crew cab pickup that tows a decent sized trailer, capable of off-roading and turning into a convertible, you bought the wrong truck. Hey, in 2-3 years time, and if there is a V8 or s/c V6 available, I'd consider trading in. But for right now, be happy with the truck you have, not some pipedream V8 and so emotional bullcrap about Jeep owing you something. As it is, your best financial option is to keep the JT you have and install a hemi as a mod. Heaven knows, many of us spend $5k - $15k or more on all sorts of builds. Kudos to the guy on here who already has a hemi in his JT.

kelkolb

First Name
Kelley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Tow rating would probably go up to 10K (or more) if they reinforced the frame and put heavier duty springs in it to make up for the extra weight of the 6.4 Hemi and to keep it from getting too "bouncy" from the extra HP & TQ.
I don’t see that happening. They won’t want it encroaching on the RAM. It’s still just a midsize truck.

Karnaj

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Town & Country, 2002 Camry, 2003 Grand Am, 2021 Deisel JTR.
Occupation
Union Electrician
That's my thoughts... These people talking about "because safety reasons" is bullcrap. They used to put 5.2 and 5.9 V8s in the Dakotas... What's the damn difference?
Vehicle architecture. And the fact the engineers have told us that's the reason themselves. No worries though, I really do hope Jeep can do whatever will make their customers happy.

Sponsored

RenoRubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This might be the “Hercules” promised any money says it’s going to be a ridiculous $15k engine upgrade from the factory maybe $20k.

Will need upgraded axles to handle that torque and HP.

RenoRubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Love my JT, loved my F150 with the 2.7 Ecoboost, so I am in line for a Bronco with the 2.7 it will be killer. If Jeep did this, I would look away from a Ford, and opt for an actual V8 in a Jeep....PLEASE!!!
That’s what we had before a 2016 f150 2.7 and man was it powerful and fast but couldn’t handle the rocks and trails we go on with our JL so we got the JT. I would be all for a powerful engine in our JT Bc our JL is the rock crawler anyways... it would also make us not keep looking at rivian and the Nikola badger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Vehicle architecture. And the fact the engineers have told us that's the reason themselves. No worries though, I really do hope Jeep can do whatever will make their customers happy.
All these companies have patented excuses for their shortcomings and stupidity, and choice to NOT listen to what the customers want. Jeep did a decent job of listening to their customers with lots of things on the Gladiator, but their choice to NOT offer a V8 option was their biggest screwup to date. Because this is how it's going to play-out...

Jeep offers a 3.6L V6 gasser only. People buy it because it's literally the ONLY option available, and they know people will buy it anyway (me included).

Jeep announces V6 EcoDiesel for 2021 models. Guess what, now there's fixing to a bunch of trade-in 2020 V6 gassers on the lots.

2021 model Ford screws up even worse and offers a turbo'd 4-banger for the Bronco, but it will still probably make better numbers than the Jeep V6, and have better torque and towing.

2020 Jeep dangles the Hemi V8 carrot, but isn't 100% serious about it. They just want to troll us and piss us off for a POSSIBLE 2022 V8 Gladiator, or a $35,000 drop-in crate motor kit, as a final howda-ya-do with no lube up the hershey highway.

2021 REAL life performance tests, Ford Bronco is forced-induction and will still probably outperform the N/A Pentastar 3.6L V6. Not to mention, being designed with forced induction, turbo and injector and fuel system upgrades will be VERY easy to install to make big power out of that little inline 4 cylinder.

2021 Jeep sees sales dropping, and decides to offer 2022 model JT with 5.7 Hemi V8 to increase sales.

2022 Ford Racing puts the truck version 5.0 Coyote V8 in the Bronco to stick it to Jeep.

2022 Jeep announces 2023 JT Gladiator Hercules with 6.4 Hemi V8. Price tag of $100,000+ so normal people still cannot afford one.

siggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Wrangler JKU
All these companies have patented excuses for their shortcomings and stupidity, and choice to NOT listen to what the customers want. Jeep did a decent job of listening to their customers with lots of things on the Gladiator, but their choice to NOT offer a V8 option was their biggest screwup to date. Because this is how it's going to play-out...

Jeep offers a 3.6L V6 gasser only. People buy it because it's literally the ONLY option available, and they know people will buy it anyway (me included).

Jeep announces V6 EcoDiesel for 2021 models. Guess what, now there's fixing to a bunch of trade-in 2020 V6 gassers on the lots.

2021 model Ford screws up even worse and offers a turbo'd 4-banger for the Bronco, but it will still probably make better numbers than the Jeep V6, and have better torque and towing.

2020 Jeep dangles the Hemi V8 carrot, but isn't 100% serious about it. They just want to troll us and piss us off for a POSSIBLE 2022 V8 Gladiator, or a $35,000 drop-in crate motor kit, as a final howda-ya-do with no lube up the hershey highway.

2021 REAL life performance tests, Ford Bronco is forced-induction and will still probably outperform the N/A Pentastar 3.6L V6. Not to mention, being designed with forced induction, turbo and injector and fuel system upgrades will be VERY easy to install to make big power out of that little inline 4 cylinder.

2021 Jeep sees sales dropping, and decides to offer 2022 model JT with 5.7 Hemi V8 to increase sales.

2022 Ford Racing puts the truck version 5.0 Coyote V8 in the Bronco to stick it to Jeep.

2022 Jeep announces 2023 JT Gladiator Hercules with 6.4 Hemi V8. Price tag of $100,000+ so normal people still cannot afford one.
It’s been more or less confirmed the Bronco will come with both the 2.3 and 2.7. 2.7 is a great engine...much better than the Pentastar.

I doubt you’ll see the Coyote in the Bronco. At best it would be the 3.5, but still unlikely since the 2.7 isn’t that far off. I would think they’d go electric if anything.

Also, I don’t see that many current gladiator owners trading in for the ecodiesel. MSRP price difference is $5k or so and that wouldn’t take into account depreciation on a one year old truck. That combined with people being apprehensive about the poor reputation of the Ecodiesel, just don’t see it happening.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It’s been more or less confirmed the Bronco will come with both the 2.3 and 2.7. 2.7 is a great engine...much better than the Pentastar.

I doubt you’ll see the Coyote in the Bronco. At best it would be the 3.5, but still unlikely since the 2.7 isn’t that far off. I would think they’d go electric if anything.

Also, I don’t see that many current gladiator owners trading in for the ecodiesel. MSRP price difference is $5k or so and that wouldn’t take into account depreciation on a one year old truck. That combined with people being apprehensive about the poor reputation of the Ecodiesel, just don’t see it happening.
I'm on a diesel forum...The EcoDiesel is a junk engine, that's why I didn't wait for one. IF they had gone with a common rail I-4 Cummins (whatever the current iteration of the 4BT is), I would have waited. But that EcoDiesel is NOT worth a penny more than the standard 3.6L V6 engine. Especially $5,000 upgrade. No thanks. But I see a lot of people only hearing the words turbo-diesel, and Gladiator, and then buying one only to get fooled.

I think if the market starts going the way I think it will, there will be V8's in both platforms to compete for sales. It's the nature of the beast.
Sponsored