First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Master Distiller
I see a decent amount of threads about upgrading speakers or going further and installing subs, amps, etc...I wanted to start a single thread for all of us who didn't spend the money on the Alpine system to discuss what you have done to your system and your thoughts on its performance. I see quite a bit about upgrading the Alpine system but not a ton on the "regular" system.

What did you do? How has the sound improved? Are you happy with it?
Sponsored

jcarbs

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2021 Tahoe
I replaced the speakers in my sound bar and in the lower dash with 6*9 Kickers and added a Kenwood amp. I have used this set-up before in previous Jeeps and was extremely pleased with the outcome.

There is a much fuller sound, volume increased so that I can hear music even with the roof off. Only other thing I might add is a powered sub, but still debating on that.

The Bean

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S (Sold)
Select Instruments JL-JT pods sound bar, Infinity Reference upper dash tweeters. The tweeters were ~$200, JL-JT pods were around $250 and included 2 6X5” Kicker DS 2-Component Speakers. I have no plans of adding an amp or anything down the road. Even still the sound is deeper and richer than the stock setup. Install was simple and both kits came with everything necessary to install. Both systems are direct plug and play. No splicing, cutting, etc required.

Jeep Gladiator Upgrades for NON Alpine systems... 9FAD32A1-DE84-4660-816D-27F2C803D179

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
I replaced all my speakers except the dash with kicker KSC speakers in the original sizes.

It sounded a little better not a huge difference. Then changed my head unit for a stinger heigh10 and added a underseat 10" ported sub and turned the cutoff for the mids to around 80hz and its a huge imrovement.

Cutting the bass off the mids and highs plus the stinger's higher power amplifier thats built in made the volume go way up.

That said...I think realistically I should have taken more time to put in 6.5" front lower dash speakers and an amplifier. Maybe even adding the american sound bar with the 4 8" speakers.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
That said...I think realistically I should have taken more time to put in 6.5" front lower dash speakers and an amplifier. Maybe even adding the american sound bar with the 4 8" speakers.
If you do this, commit to the amp. It's a ton of work that really didnt improve much without it.

Sponsored

Animal

First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Occupation
CMMS Administrator
I upgraded the knee speaker pods to accommodate 6.75" Rockford Punch speakers. I currently have 6x9" 3 way speakers on order with the MB Quart JE1-169SB for the sound bar.

If they ever are in stock again I'm planning to get Terra acoustics for the dash speakers.

Need to decide on sub placement before purchasing.

336mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Gladiator
Watching this thread - not interested in changing out the head unit. Just looking to learn more about better speakers. Good idea posting this thread!

OP
OP
21Moja

21Moja

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Master Distiller
Im interested to hear from some of you that have not installed an amp...I know the headunit is don't going to push any speaker worthwhile but did you notice a difference in just changing the speakers. Im thinking of slowly changing all speaker (if an amp is needed so be it) but want to hear if it even really makes sense...

Animal

First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Occupation
CMMS Administrator
Replacing the knee speakers without an amp or head unit upgrade I have noticed a reduced volume. The loudest I would go before the upgrade is 20, now I'll crank it up to 22 (sport s 5" radio) for the same volume level.

As far as difference in sound quality I do notice one. Clearer highs and better bass. Exactly how much better is hard to say, played drums for 20 years in rock and metal bands and am missing a lot of high end register slowly going deaf, but I do hear a definite improvement.

I think it would have been more noticeable improvement if I had done the soundbar to begin.

Sponsored

OP
OP
21Moja

21Moja

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Master Distiller

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Replacing the knee speakers without an amp or head unit upgrade I have noticed a reduced volume. The loudest I would go before the upgrade is 20, now I'll crank it up to 22 (sport s 5" radio) for the same volume level.

As far as difference in sound quality I do notice one. Clearer highs and better bass. Exactly how much better is hard to say, played drums for 20 years in rock and metal bands and am missing a lot of high end register slowly going deaf, but I do hear a definite improvement.

I think it would have been more noticeable improvement if I had done the soundbar to begin.
Exact same experience. Not sure if it's the impedance change or what but the volume was significantly reduced and the upper speakers totally overshdow them. I have the funds set aside for an amp but I want to do all my electrical at once and the garage is getting toasty this time of year.

OP
OP
21Moja

21Moja

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Master Distiller