Sponsored

Verified: 2020 JT Gladiator Pickup Truck Production Starts January 2019, Order Banks Open in Jan/Feb

Warbirds

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Beater trucks and fast motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
The more they screw around with this, the less i am convinced its worth the wait and my $$$.

I am disappointed.
Sponsored

devwil68

First Name
Dev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK | 5.9 Ram Mega Cab | 69 Camaro | 4Runner | Camaro SS 1LE
The more they screw around with this, the less i am convinced its worth the wait and my $$$.

I am disappointed.
Couldn’t agree more....just make it! Lol

JLU2018

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JLUS
Message from Jay copied below and very relevant to his thread:

"We have some new info to share! First, we've confirmed the JT is a 2020 Model Year. Based on what we know, we estimate that production will begin around January 2019 and Order Banks should open around January/February 2019.

Here are some additional features/options we have confirmed (see the full list in the first post):

Engine/Transmission

• 3.6L V6 with Engine Start Stop
  • 3.0L V6 Turbo Diesel Engine with Engine Start-Stop
  • 6-speed Manual Transmission
  • 8-speed 850RE Auto Transmission
Exterior/Misc
  • Removable hard top and soft tops
  • Black 3-Piece Hard Top
  • Body Color 3-Piece Hard Top
  • Premium Black Sunrider Soft Top
  • Sliding Rear Window
  • Tailgate Lock (electric)
  • Tonneau Cover
  • 115V Exterior Power Outlet
  • 22-Gallon Fuel Tank
Interior
  • 400-Watt Power Inverter
  • Backup Camera with Hitch View
  • Lockable Storage Bin (under rear seat)
  • Radios (same as JL)
  • Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
Safety
  • Adaptive Cruise Control w/Stop
  • Blind Spot/Cross Path Detection
  • Full Speed Forward Collision Warning Plus"
Damn. Was really hoping for the power top on the Gladiator.

Last edited by a moderator:

2015er

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4
I think this listing is very early and preliminary. This vehicle is going to have a ton of accessories and lots of options and hopefully more configurations than just a crew cab....

jimmiceman

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Everyone is happy with a 3.6 gas guzzler engine it seems. How about a real engine like the 5.7 Hemi. Way better gas mileage and power.
My 2014 charger AWD gets about 10-12 mpg more than my 2017 Wrangler. I won’t even mention the power difference. FCA needs to step it up and use the Hemi.

Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2017 JKU, 2022 JTRD ordered.
Cows are fun until your friends see you tipping them.

Sponsored

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
Alright so the forum has been talking about cows for 4 days now, that means we need a new leak! Jay! Jay! Jay!

2015er

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4
Everyone is happy with a 3.6 gas guzzler engine it seems. How about a real engine like the 5.7 Hemi. Way better gas mileage and power.
My 2014 charger AWD gets about 10-12 mpg more than my 2017 Wrangler. I won’t even mention the power difference. FCA needs to step it up and use the Hemi.
I own a 2015 Ram 1500 Laramie - factory ordered so I could get the truck just the way I wanted it and one of the specific items I ordered for the truck was the 3.6L Pentastar motor and to come to the defense of the "gas guzzler" motor as you claim - the Pentastar is unquestionably one of THE best aspects of my truck. I did a TON of research before placing this order as it is not everyday that I buy a $50k item. I looked at all brands - foreign and domestic - test drove many different brands and motors and in the end it came down to the Ram v. the Ford F150 which at the time, was coming out for the first time with an all aluminum body and the 2.7L eco-boost small V6 which was the engine I was considering (or perhaps the 5.0). Anyhow, I went with the Ram because of the Ramboxes and air suspension options (love them both). For the engines I test drove all three ram options including the Hemi and the diesel. The particulars of owning and maintaining the diesel did not appeal to me (a huge cost upgrade - +$4,500, expensive filters, special-more expensive oil, and the DEF additive all put me off the diesel option). The difference between the acceleration and smoothness between the Hemi and the Pentastar was honestly not that great and for me I use a truck more for hauling than I do towing and believe it or not - and this is what finally did it for me - the payload numbers for the Pentastar are better than the Hemi! So in the end the Pentastar was standard (no +$1,500 or $4,500 for the Hemi or diesel), better gas mileage, 0-60 acceleration of just over 7 sec. for a 5,800 lb. vehicle, naturally aspirated - no turbo, burns regular gas - no need for premium gas, better payload than a V8, and in the end I had the dealer install a Flowmaster dual exhaust that sounds better than the Hemi (no lie) before I drove it off the lot, and the motor is a two-time Ward's List for best engine award winner.. So that is the true, real-life experience of Pentastar owner - I love my truck and the Pentastar is one of it's best attributes! Gas guzzler??? No, - GREAT engine!!!

DrPerez007

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 TJ Rocky Mountain (Red); 2016 JK Sahara Unlimited (Hydro Blue)
Not sure why the Pentastar gets bad-mouthed or discounted from a number of quarters, but my experience, like 2015er, is nothing but positive. Previously, I had a 2008 JKU with that POS 3.8L mini-van engine that could not get out of its own way. Lift it, put some bigger tires on, and add a couple of pounds here and there, and the engine would cry like a baby when it really had to work. Passing? Forget it. It would barely accelerate to merge into traffic even after regearing. I gladly got rid of my '08 a number of years ago and bought a used 2011 Dodge Dakota pickup (but since I am a Jeep guy, I kept my '05 TJ).

In 2011, my fleet vehicle was a Charger with the 3.6L Pentastar. Routinely got in the mid-30's for highway fuel mileage. It was replaced by a 2015 Charger; same result. Mid 30's for highway fuel mileage and, mind you, that was an average of 75 mph and sometimes considerably higher (work related); city/suburban driving was in the 25-30 mpg range. That vehicle was replaced with a 2017 Dodge Durango GT AWD with the Pentastar. Averaging 75 mph on the highway, I get about 25 to 26 mpg. No complaints. It made my decision to buy my '16 JKU a no-brainer from an engine perspective. Although I have made a number of modifications and additions to my JKU, I am still impressed with its performance, particularly over the '08. I regularly get 20+ (combined) mpg, although I seldom drive it over 70 mph even on the highway and I use a number of lighter-weight components (alum bumpers, hard metric tires, alloy wheels, etc.). For fun (& responsiveness), I recently added the Pedal Commander, but have not noticed any loss in fuel mileage.

Let's see, no additional cost for the Pentastar engine option in any vehicle I have driven or owned; burns regular 87 octane fuel; use standard oil; easily maintained and serviced. Works for me. Incidentally, a number of government fleet managers I have spoken with the last few years have advised me they are getting away from ordering diesel engine equipped vehicles because of the premium cost upfront; the ongoing higher cost of diesel fuel; the higher maintenance time and costs; and the downtime. [And as 2015er pointed out, expensive filters, special-more expensive oil, and the DEF additive.] In essence, what the fleet managers are saying is that not only do diesels offer no real advantage for the average local government fleet, diesel fleets cost the taxpayers more money in the long run. Although they said if it were strictly an "over the road" vehicle that logged tens of thousands of highway miles, they might reconsider that position or perhaps fire apparatus where they sit and idle long hours particularly pumping water.
Sponsored