Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
442 lbs/ft is now "mediocre" in a mid-size truck? That's 72 lbs/ft more than the next closest diesel competitor and 132 lbs/ft more than the next closest gas competitor. I think some of you have unrealistic expectations.

And no, you aren't going to want 4.10s in a truck that has a tiny power band. Doing so will cause it to shift constantly. Even on a Rubicon with 33" tires, you're talking peak output in 8th gear happening around 62 MPH with that gear ratio. You'd run out of the diesel power band pretty fast beyond that. There is a reason why all the domestic truck builders have a multi-decade history of pairing their diesel trucks with numerically lower axle gearing. That might be an "opinion" but it is the overwhelming opinion of most guys in truck world. Now, if you're running 38" tires....ok that's a different ball game.
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
442 lbs/ft is now "mediocre" in a mid-size truck? That's 72 lbs/ft more than the next closest diesel competitor and 132 lbs/ft more than the next closest gas competitor. I think some of you have unrealistic expectations.

And no, you aren't going to want 4.10s in a truck that has a tiny power band. Doing so will cause it to shift constantly. Even on a Rubicon with 33" tires, you're talking peak output in 8th gear happening around 62 MPH with that gear ratio. You'd run out of the diesel power band pretty fast beyond that. There is a reason why all the domestic truck builders have a multi-decade history of pairing their diesel trucks with numerically lower axle gearing. That might be an "opinion" but it is the overwhelming opinion of most guys in truck world. Now, if you're running 38" tires....ok that's a different ball game.
Funny... I have had 4.10’s in a diesel truck for over 13 years...No complaints from me... Especially if you plan on lifting it and putting bigger tires on it, you know, like 95% of JT owners do...

Actually, you’re incorrect, it’s only been about 10 years or so, since they started phasing ouT 4.10’s as a factory option, and that’s only because trucks have become a fashion statement to most, and no longer used to do actual work and hauling. And no, most REAL truck guys in the truck world still end up swapping gears to correct for tire size. If they didn’t, gear companies would go under left & right...

sarcasm

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I thought about waiting for a diesel until I found out what the premium was on the Wrangler. It is not an option that would pay for itself and I don't have a use case that would make it that much better than the gas engine.

The mileage will be better but diesel per gallon is more expensive plus the up front cost premium.

The range will probably be significantly better but again I don't have a use case where more would be a real benefit.

Towing: it is bound to tow better with the extra torque but the overall rating may not be significantly better than the gas version. Suspension and setup play a big role. But in my case the gas version will easily tow a 21' center console and a small camper and that is all I can ever see needing. (Opinion: A mid size pickup is probably not the best choice if you are towing something that needs a trailer brake)

But...if you plan to keep your Gladiator forever then that diesel may be worth it even if you don't care about all the other benefits. It will probably run forever.

Also: not sure we will ever get there but in Europe they are starting to ban diesel vehicles in big cities. Diesel could also end up being a commodity that is hard to find in 10 years. (Like unleaded gas) Might help if Rednecks stopped coal rolling Teslas.

furrymurray

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator SG Rubicon

I could swear I remember you singing a different tune early on in the JT release and back when you had your 3.6V6 Gladiator gasser? You seem to be an expert on anything vehicle related? Next time I get stumped with a vehicle problem I will DM you.

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
442 lbs/ft is now "mediocre" in a mid-size truck?
I don't think it should be, "for a mid-size truck". I think any diesel should put out gobs of torque no matter what chassis its bolted into. I can understand less towing capacity in a mid-size compared to a full-size due to wheelbase and other specs. But why should a V6 diesel in a Gladiator make less torque than a V6 Diesel in a RAM truck? Other than marketing, there is no reason.

Sponsored

TheMuffinOfEvil

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, Ram TRX
Occupation
Own Tech Support Company
I am going to chime in here and say, if you are waiting on a diesel with plans of deleting it, buy a gas model and forget about it.

The EPA is really on the war path for the delete tuners, they have handed out massive fines, shut down a ton of the tuners companies. I know several diesel Colorado owners that are having to order the delete kits to friends houses in Canada and then have them sent here to the states via personal shipping. And the companies themselves are making moves to stop that from happening because they don't want to get on the EPA's bad side.

Green diesel engineering wont sell you a delete tune unless you send them a copy of a Canadian registration that matches the VIN number going on the tune.

For better or worse the EPA has decided they have a serious axe to grind about this.

Do not buy a diesel Jeep unless you are fine with a stock diesel Jeep.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
One positive note here, with the delay of the Ecodiesel JT, and the (apparent) debut of the Bronco, maybe Jeep will step up their game and deliver more power - for what a Jeep costs these days, you should not have to settle for 'adequate'.
In the mean time, I bought a diesel Wrangler and have THOROUGHLY Enjoyed it for over 5K miles now.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
One positive note here, with the delay of the Ecodiesel JT, and the (apparent) debut of the Bronco, maybe Jeep will step up their game and deliver more power - for what a Jeep costs these days, you should not have to settle for 'adequate'.
In the mean time, I bought a diesel Wrangler and have THOROUGHLY Enjoyed it for over 5K miles now.
Thank you!!! That's all I'm saying. Most would be happy with the V6, and most probably still choose the V6 option... But me? NOPE!!! For the $53K sticker price of my JTR, it should have damn-sure had a 5.7 Hemi in it for that kind of money! If I'm paying over $25K for a vehicle, it better have a f***ing V8 (or Cummins) in it! I could have bought a brand new 527 HP Shelby GT350R for $60K... Let that sink in to those who think a $50K+ vehicle with a 285 HP v6 is acceptable....

This is the 2nd V6 I've ever owned, and for what it is, it's not bad. But it's certainly not a V8 replacement. There is not replacement for displacement.

Last edited:

sarcasm

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I could have bought a brand new 527 HP Shelby GT350R for $60K... Let that sink in to those who think a $50K+ vehicle with a 285 HP v6 is acceptable....
Uh Oh: He's starting the V8 fight again...

And....2020 Mustang Shelby GT350R starts at $73,435

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Uh Oh: He's starting the V8 fight again...

And....2020 Mustang Shelby GT350R starts at $73,435
I never said it was a 2020... I said brand new. It was a brand new (on the showroom floor) leftover 2019... And it was down between $55-60K... :like: ;)

And yes, I will always start the V8 fight...Lots of others agree with me, as well. Don't believe me, re-read the thread. I'm not alone on that one.

Sponsored

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Thank you!!! That's all I'm saying. Most would be happy with the V6, and most probably still choose the V6 option... But me? NOPE!!! For the $53K sticker price of my JTR, it should have damn-sure had a 5.7 Hemi in it for that kind of money! If I'm paying over $25K for a vehicle, it better have a f***ing V8 (or Cummins) in it!
I'm curious why you did buy the JT.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I could swear I remember you singing a different tune early on in the JT release and back when you had your 3.6V6 Gladiator gasser? You seem to be an expert on anything vehicle related? Next time I get stumped with a vehicle problem I will DM you.
Did I? Care to point that out?

And yeah, I've had nearly 30 vehicles from all the brands and grew up in shops since I was a child, so anytime you have a question, feel free to shoot me a DM.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm curious why you did buy the JT.
Because I felt like it... You got a problem with how I spend my hard-earned money?

And to answer your question, because I like everything about it, other than the engine. Everything else I didn’t like was easily solved/fixed/replaced/upgraded.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.