Sponsored

Warm up the Diesel? Or drive it like you stole it?

IPRoutes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Mojave 2023 Bright White
Occupation
Sr. Network Architect
It is the oil that needs to warm up. Oil does not warm up by idling. Quickest way to warm up the oil in a cold start situation is to idle for 30-50 seconds for the idle rpm to settle down below 1k, drive gently for a few minutes till oil temps get to at least 150-176f, and then you are good to go. Diesel requires some load for it to warm up. I have noticed that diesel takes a little bit longer to get to 176f but after that it warms up faster than the gasoline engine. I guess the oil passing through the turbo as load is added accelerates the warming.
Sponsored

mrmo

First Name
Mrmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
nuke
Agree with last post...I remote start a few mins before leaving, then take it easy for the first few miles to let the engine acclamate and get stable. I also let it cool down a few mins to let the turbo bearings cool off some before a hot shut off. Especially after pulling a load or hard run, the oil will coke in the bearings of the turbo and cause issues. Well proven on the larger diesels and these small engines are no different, water cooled turbo or not...
Thats what I do, yall can do what you want.... :rock:

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
Definitely warm up! Why? The turbo journal bearing is floating in oil. Cold oil has much more resistance than warm/hot oil. The turbo will spool up easier when warm. Additionally many components are splash lubricated in the top end of the engine and in the timing cover. cold oil doesnt really get to where it needs to go as well as warm oil. The thin viscocity of modern engines improves drain back and can cause dry starts.

Camaroboi13

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 XJ Pioneer, 17 WK2 3.6, 18 JLU 3.6, 22 JTOD 3.0
Occupation
LEO - Life in Chino
Owners Manual .
Lol why did it take 18 months for someone else to think of this. Whatever the owner's manual says is what goes. There may be better options out there, but when in doubt refer back to your Jeep Bible.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Never rev a turbo motor up before you shut it down. Why? The turbo is still spinning at a very high rpm. Sometimes high at 200,000 rpms. When you shut the engine off. You also shut off the oil supply to the turbo. Oil is the life blood to a turbo. Before I shut off. I let the motor idle for about 3 minutes.
Sponsored