Webasto engine heater

JeeperFIN

First Name
Jukka
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JT
Started to build a webasto heater for my JT.
There is a Webasto kit for a ”parking heater”, but that doesn’t warm the engine ( probably because then it is not anymore euro6 emission engine)
But i want that the engine is also warm at those cold morning starts.

I bought the Thermo Top Evo 5 heater with universal install kit, and few extra 90° hoses and other parts.

Heater fan control kit is for JT (and other Jeeps)
Also i will install the Thermoconnect, easy to use app for the phone. App will show inside temperature in the cab and battery voltage etc. Also the thermoconnect device have a GPS antenna, you can check the location or activate the alarm if the Jeep is moving out of the area where it was parked.

Few pictures, more will come after i have done more work with the install.

Heater is located under the brake booster, this is the place where Webasto installs it in the instructions. Water pump is over the heater:

Jeep Gladiator Webasto engine heater B794489F-8809-46FA-BDD8-AD56AE5D987B

Jeep Gladiator Webasto engine heater 75E6D327-B987-43F3-8AA9-8D678A90327D

Heater hoses. 90° with green marking is the heater core inlet ( this hose goes to webasto outlet).
Long straight is the engine outlet ( this goes to webasto water pump inlet)

Jeep Gladiator Webasto engine heater FC8E7F3B-E389-4F87-8DB2-35D1DE707C58

And pictures of the part numbers:

Jeep Gladiator Webasto engine heater F212F546-98F9-4E50-AF7E-4DA7AAC74A16

Jeep Gladiator Webasto engine heater ABD35D77-FDCB-4644-AAD4-D486B0B3273D
Sponsored

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
Started to build a webasto heater for my JT.
There is a Webasto kit for a ”parking heater”, but that doesn’t warm the engine ( probably because then it is not anymore euro6 emission engine)
But i want that the engine is also warm at those cold morning starts.

I bought the Thermo Top Evo 5 heater with universal install kit, and few extra 90° hoses and other parts.

Heater fan control kit is for JT (and other Jeeps)
Also i will install the Thermoconnect, easy to use app for the phone. App will show inside temperature in the cab and battery voltage etc. Also the thermoconnect device have a GPS antenna, you can check the location or activate the alarm if the Jeep is moving out of the area where it was parked.

Few pictures, more will come after i have done more work with the install.

Heater is located under the brake booster, this is the place where Webasto installs it in the instructions. Water pump is over the heater:

Heater hoses. 90° with green marking is the heater core inlet ( this hose goes to webasto outlet).
Long straight is the engine outlet ( this goes to webasto water pump inlet)

And pictures of the part numbers:

This looks a lot like a “frost heater” for VW’s.

If so, are you going to use in conjunction with the block heater??

OP
OP
JeeperFIN

JeeperFIN

First Name
Jukka
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JT
No need for the block heater.
This will warm the engine and cab in 30 minutes.
5kw diesel heater.

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
5kw diesel heater.
Dude this is awesome! It is a diesel powered version of a frost heater. Are these cheaper in Europe?? $1,500 usd here. 😬

Sponsored

RudeJeepin

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
5kw diesel heater.
When I worked for the local school district, we had these installed in the busses. Worked great for a few years, then started to have issues with them clogging up.
They had electronic timers to start and stop them, along with a manual override. Originally they would get turned off in the summer, no school. After starting to have issues with them, I set the timers to run once a week for 1 hour and most of the issues went away.
When they worked, they were awesome, all the bus drivers loved have a preheated bus when it was 30°f outside.

Nice job on the install, by the way.

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
@RudeJeepin Same here we have them on 4 2018 IC’s. One of them is still working. They are awesome when they work.
That seems to be the case with everything from Webasto. Like they’re electric over hydraulic brakes etc. way over engineered and ridiculous to diagnose.

Sponsored

RudeJeepin

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
First test done.
Jeep was outside for the night, in
-7°C (19.4F) temperature.
Webasto was on for 30min.
Coolant temp 33°C (91.4F) and inside the cab was 8°C (46.4F)
Jeep Gladiator Webasto engine heater FC52AB7A-7266-495F-9687-0B013E124619
Those aren't bad numbers for 30 minutes of run time. If I recall right, the 5.9/6.7 Cummins burned about a gallon per hour of idle time, I'm guessing the EcoDiesel would be 2/3ish of a gallon per hour. The preheater I believe is some where around 1/8 of a gallon or less. Plus the no idle time on the ED would be a major benefit. Pulling those numbers out of my head, it's been 10 years or so since I was around those webasto heaters.

One problem that most of these heaters have, is that the thermostat in the vehicle's engine cooling system doesn't open until the water temp reaches 160-180°F. So you don't get much water flow thru the vehicle's heater core, of course some water will flow around/thru the thermostat.

Out of curiosity, does this system turn on the Gladiator's fan, the one to circulate cabin air?

BearFootSam

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Fed
We had a sprinter overseas with a wabasto heater. The thing was always freezing b/c ****asses didn't know what it was. Once I got it running, that thing would make you sweat. It was awesome. They are pretty mandatory in the nordic nations if you have a diesel.

OP
OP
JeeperFIN

JeeperFIN

First Name
Jukka
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JT
Those aren't bad numbers for 30 minutes of run time. If I recall right, the 5.9/6.7 Cummins burned about a gallon per hour of idle time, I'm guessing the EcoDiesel would be 2/3ish of a gallon per hour. The preheater I believe is some where around 1/8 of a gallon or less. Plus the no idle time on the ED would be a major benefit. Pulling those numbers out of my head, it's been 10 years or so since I was around those webasto heaters.

One problem that most of these heaters have, is that the thermostat in the vehicle's engine cooling system doesn't open until the water temp reaches 160-180°F. So you don't get much water flow thru the vehicle's heater core, of course some water will flow around/thru the thermostat.

Out of curiosity, does this system turn on the Gladiator's fan, the one to circulate cabin air?
water flow is enough, engine outlet for heater is in thermostat housing and intake/heater outlet is usually in block/water pump.

yes, there is relay system which turn on the fan to circulate the air

Last edited:
OP
OP
JeeperFIN

JeeperFIN

First Name
Jukka
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JT
Had to do take it the ”programmer”
After heating the engine with webasto, i got the check engine light and code: p012f (coolant sensor)

Now the fault code is blogged from the pcm and also he installed engine tune 😁