Sponsored

Well..I figured sooner or later it was bound to happen.

Chocolyle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR Sarge Green MT
Occupation
Technical Sales / Security
My wife was working nights at the Hospital, 6P-6A. A few years back she bought a BMW X3, 2 months of owning it and a deer slammed into the side of it. $18k in damage, 2-3 months to repair, parts hard to come by. Gets it back and in 1 week, BAM another deer hit her!

She runs these deer whistles and drives a Tundra now, 2nd vehicle with them since the X3, no more deer.

https://www.amazon.com/Living-Produ...er-20&linkId=6a8b0cd22f0b5de7501128e1b2fa48a0
Sponsored

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired Military
I live in a highly populated deer area and had many near misses as I travel at 5am to work every morning. One came out of nowhere and I swerved and avoided hitting it head on but she slammed into the side. Amazingly there was no damage but not the same for the deer. Every truck I ever had has been wacked some 2 and 3 times. Got lucky this time.
I wonder if the deer whistles you can attach to your vehicle for less than $10 work ? I don't know anyone that has has experience with them...

OP
OP
Stonesolo

Stonesolo

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator sport S
Occupation
Printer
I wonder if the deer whistles you can attach to your vehicle for less than $10 work ? I don't know anyone that has has experience with them...
I had those on a jeep comanchee truck I had in the 80's and wacked 3 deer with that truck so I'm gonna say they don't work. At least those deer whistles didn't
I had those on a jeep comanchee I had in the 80's and wacked 3 deer with that truck so I'm gonna say no. At least those whistles didn't work maybe another brand will idk.

DeOhYouGe

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Fiber optic and metallic cable splicer
I don't know everything but, I do know this. The animal that kills the most people in North America is not bear, man, or dog, it is deer, not using handguns or other weapons, deer running into and in front of motor vehicles. It is an incredible fact as odd as it seems. Only after seeing first hand the carnage beside the roads of Michigan did my sheltered Southern California mind come to grips with how stupid and therefore dangerous deer are.

the worlds greatest killer of man, the mosquito.

bonus trivia, in Africa it's Hippos that kill the most people.

Drive safe everyone.

1996XJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Cherokee , 2021 JTMojave (punjabi), 22 gobiator
Occupation
Hot Dog proprietor
We have feral donkey around here, they are always getting hit by cars and trains. Poor little dudes.

Sponsored

Padre

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Pastor
We rented an RV in Australia and drove up the east coast for a month. In the contract of our RV, we were not allowed to drive at night outside the major cities because of the Roos. It was chilly and at night the kangaroos would all go and stand in the highway as it was still warm from the day. On the stretch of highway between Brisbane and Townsville, we counted over 100 dead 'roo carcasses. My wife and I actually played a game to see who had the most dead bodies are their side of the road.

Padre

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Pastor
Oh how about this just north of Colorado. Thats a lotta traffic hazard 😜

I love how they run over that overpass like they are running across the highway. And I thought it was cool how they crossed in smaller groups and then rejoined the big group.

bakobobby

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator California
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Doer of things
I don't know everything but, I do know this. The animal that kills the most people in North America is not bear, man, or dog, it is deer, not using handguns or other weapons, deer running into and in front of motor vehicles. It is an incredible fact as odd as it seems. Only after seeing first hand the carnage beside the roads of Michigan did my sheltered Southern California mind come to grips with how stupid and therefore dangerous deer are.

Drive safe everyone.
I read the same thing during EMT training. Auto accidents are no joke. Imagine hitting one of those buggers at speed in a smaller passenger car. Can get pretty grusome.

chaosjake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR (Dolly/Ahab), 2017 WRX (Hilda)
With my luck, the whistles would scare the deer and they'd run right in front of my car.

My wife and I actually played a game to see who had the most dead bodies are their side of the road.
I was down in WV over the summer, and I ended up having to take my wife to the ER in the middle of the night (gall bladder, it turns out. not a fun emergency surgery while you're on vacation). We left the house at about 1am and had to drive maybe 12 miles or so to a town with a hospital. With the wife moaning in pain, there has never been another time when I wanted to bomb down those back roads at 90, but there were deer in the road every couple hundred feet. I bet we saw 100 or more before we got to the hospital. Bastards.

f33d

First Name
Maxwell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer
I always install steel front bumpers for winch plates and recovery points. In the back of my mind I always wonder what kind of carnage I’ll see in the event of me hitting a deer. I assume it will be a blood bath with that doe or buck not getting up.

Sponsored

montechie

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Writer of code, designer of things
Living in Montana I've clocked multiple deer with every truck I've owned, except the Taco that I put a full width steel bumper to protect it from deer. Not a single hit, I guess the bumper worked ;)

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
Those "Deer Whistles" have been around for decades. I've never seen anything convincing which suggests they actually work. At one time, somebody sold a "Bug Whistle" which was supposed to keep bugs from splattering on your windshield. One of the automotive magazines did a toungu-in-cheek test of the bug whistle. They were very thorough and, surprise, it didn't work. I still remember the article stating, "It must be something to see an insect immediately change direction with a vehicle hurling towards it at 65 MPH". I'm thinking it's not much different for a deer.

When I was a kid I saw a mid-1970s Lincoln Town Car that hit a deer head-on in Flagstaff, AZ. Yeah, those cars were HUGE. That Town Car looked like it had hit a concrete dam going 90 MPH.

Lost1wing

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AMT
I live in an area covered with deer. I always drive cautiously at dusk and dawn. One early morning I was headed out when I saw a deer. It took off running parallel to the highway on my right. I just about came to a crawl, just a bit faster than the deer. When I was even with it, I took my foot off of the brake and hit the throttle. And wouldn't you know, the deer decided to ram the side of my truck. I am glad it wasn't the Gladiator.

Tiny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator SportS, manual, soft top, black
So I can camo up, de-scent, track trails, and get in the woods at 5am and still not see a freaking deer. However, drive a huge honking truck blaring music and blasting high beams and it's like playing redneck frogger.

TwelveGaugeSage

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Kawasaki Z125, 2016 Yamaha WR250R, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Air Force Contractor

Drive safe everyone.
I thought this sounded a little crazy, so I looked it up. Deer kill around 120 people in the US per year. Last year there were 24,576 homicides in the US. My guess is that is on the low side considering I doubt that includes how many people killed friends, coworkers, and family members by giving them Covid. Deer kill a lot of people, but nothing compared to how many people are killed by other humans.

My dad hit a white tail on his Harley 13 years ago. It messed him up pretty badly, but he always told me(before he died from cancer a few years ago) that me convincing him to wear a helmet saved his life. I also knew a guy who was killed on a motorcycle by hitting a turkey.
Sponsored