Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 Cherokee, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
Is the alternator that hard to change?
I changed out mine in my JK in less than an hour. I guess it's all in how much mechanical aptitude and experience you have. My suggestion is to buy a better one than was installed at the factory, I always look for a higher amperage one from a reputable company like Mean Green. Not the cheapest but won't let you sit like a cheaper one from Auto Zone, O'Reilly, Adavance Auto, etc

Kindafearless

First Name
Elise
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rublicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Enginerd
Is the alternator that hard to change?
I haven’t removed mine yet, but having dismantled everything around it, it looks pretty quick. You have to pull the belt, take some brackets off, and remove the battery connectors. I’d estimate 2-3 hours depending on how fast you are.

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I haven’t removed mine yet, but having dismantled everything around it, it looks pretty quick. You have to pull the belt, take some brackets off, and remove the battery connectors. I’d estimate 2-3 hours depending on how fast you are.
I didnt get the cool super duper alternator with my truck so its always in the back of my head that I should try and get one. Wish I could find one cheap of a wrecked truck or something. I saw quadratec had them listed as a 2-3 hour job but I just wasnt sure if there was something special about it or not. :)

Kindafearless

First Name
Elise
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rublicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Enginerd
I didnt get the cool super duper alternator with my truck so its always in the back of my head that I should try and get one. Wish I could find one cheap of a wrecked truck or something. I saw quadratec had them listed as a 2-3 hour job but I just wasnt sure if there was something special about it or not. :)
I have it, and haven’t blown it yet. *knock on wood*

As with all things mechanical. Estimate twice the time the first time you are doing it or if you don’t have a full tool chest. But if you are comfortably burning a weekend morning and you aren’t afraid, it should be pretty easy.

Sponsored

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I have it, and haven’t blown it yet. *knock on wood*

As with all things mechanical. Estimate twice the time the first time you are doing it or if you don’t have a full tool chest. But if you are comfortably burning a weekend morning and you aren’t afraid, it should be pretty easy.
Oh I'm not in the least bit scared to change one. Plenty of tools. I'm more scared of the new alternators price tag :CWL:

StingGrayJT24

First Name
KH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Rubicon Gladiator
I love videos like this! Things I never knew
This is one of the most important videos related to our rigs. Most people don’t realize disconnecting the positive and negative terminals from the main battery doesn’t cut all power because of the hidden aux battery. You need to disconnect the the two negative terminals and separate them. Anyway, the 3:00-3:40 mark is the very helpful explaining this.

Breyton

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2020 KTM Super Duke R, 2015 991
My ESS error light came on, drove it around without care, eventually took into dealer and they replaced the aux battery.

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 Cherokee, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
I guess I have replaced enough alternators in my life that 2, 3 or 4 hours seems like a long time. Perhaps they overstate time so you get discouraged and have the local shop do it to help the economy.

And yes a good aftermarket hi power alternator will set you back $400 give or take unless you are willing to tare your chances with an unknown brand on Ebay. Did that once left me sit 4 months later in BFE learned my lesson

Sower3213

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xxxx
This whole thread got me thinking (always dangerous) about my new 98 TJ Sport (no Rubis back then) that I build into a great trail rig. In those days I never met a mud hole I didn't jump into. Mud caked everywhere!! I would drive it to a hand car wash and spend $10 washing the engine and undercarriage and she was good to go, never a hiccup. Don’t mud any more, prefer rocks and mountains, much cleaner. That said, It seems Jeep has so over Technologied (if that’s a word) these beasts that you need to use a lot more caution what you wheel into. I’m sure that goes for all the 4X4 makes, pick you brand......... by the by, really enjoying my Glad and all it’s technology, 1 year+, 11,000+miles alls good.
Sponsored