Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rublicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Enginerd
@Kindafearless and @GoVR46 thanks. I'll do exactly that today.

So the alternator is clean on the outside, and it looks clean through the vents. However, I'm not so sure how well it's doing on the inside. I was thinking of running steam from my steam machine into some of the open vents. What do you guys think?
If it was dirty, than shooting some water in might not be the worst idea. Since it’s clean, probably won’t help. It is an electrical device and heated water isn’t a favorite for copper.

I’d start by testing it before you try cleaning with steam.

Also check fuses and the wires. Make sure all the connections are good. Wires and fuses are always my first check for electrical stuff. The electric system isn’t super scary once you get familiar with it. Sure they are computers and stuff, but it’s all pretty logically laid out and there isn’t much mystery once you plug it into a scanner.

Bouncing the Jeep around might have worked something loose. Though the symptoms you are describing sound pure alternator/charging system related to me so far.

This is coming from someone who has messed with most of the wires under the hood :) I also replaced the Mopar battery connector recently because it kept working itself loose on the Odyssey batteries I’m using.

4F7781ED-8690-44B8-8BD2-1F27F92453CD.jpeg
Sponsored

Sponsored

kooltoys

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTD, 90 300zx TT, 07 Nightrain, MB 3.0L Diesel
Occupation
AV Design/Programming
So does it function normally besides the ESS?
whats the problem, you have gottin ESS disabled which 75% of this forum would love to have happen! help me understand your problem.. hahaha jk

MrFahrenheit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FC Red Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I don't condone outright deceiving a company into honoring a warranty they shouldn't. Below are some things that you could clean and check after mudding to be sure your vehicle is in tip top shape though...

Drain a small amount of oil into a clear container and make sure it still looks clean and not dark. Take off caps for things like the oil fill and dipstick and clean any dirt off that's under those too. Taking things out like the air cleaner and battery and cleaning all that. Use that time to check the air filter. Take off the fuse panel in the engine bay and get down to the secondary battery and clean that too. Spray into the frame rail holes from both directions. Try to clean the top of the skid plates as best as possible. Rinse the radiator and such with a garden hose. The more things you can take off and clean the better, just depends on how thorough of a cleaning job you want to do.

Rubiwoo

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Self Employeed
I don't condone outright deceiving a company into honoring a warranty they shouldn't. Below are some things that you could clean and check after mudding to be sure your vehicle is in tip top shape though...

Drain a small amount of oil into a clear container and make sure it still looks clean and not dark. Take off caps for things like the oil fill and dipstick and clean any dirt off that's under those too. Taking things out like the air cleaner and battery and cleaning all that. Use that time to check the air filter. Take off the fuse panel in the engine bay and get down to the secondary battery and clean that too. Spray into the frame rail holes from both directions. Try to clean the top of the skid plates as best as possible. Rinse the radiator and such with a garden hose. The more things you can take off and clean the better, just depends on how thorough of a cleaning job you want to do.
Character

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Mud and or Muddy water really messes with charging system the alternator really don't like that. I've "killed" one that was just a few weeks of service that way in the past. Buying two in same month sucked. "Not under warranty" vehicle.
Now the dealership I got mine at knows that the roads in my area are dirt, gravel and muddy at times but I don't go blasting though.
Check for unseated fuzes and like stuff too.

Regular care of a vehicle isn't slime it and leave it that way. "Not directed at thread starter" hell if I want to work on a mud dripping vehicle, does anyone think a mechanic wants to be working one? If I plan on changing oil I will try to have it clean before even that easier to find leaks and anything out of place.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator

I've done every single item on your list except to getting to the second battery. I wasn't comfortable lifting the fuse panel, so I'll need to watch some videos on that. The Jeep is immaculate inside and out.

Now, I've tested the alternator, and it's barely sending out a charge. The most I got out of it is around 3v. Looks like it's not good.

Now, that we know the alternator is bad, do you folks think I should take it to Jeep and risk loosing my warranty & extended warranty or take it to an independent shop and pay out of pocket?

Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I've done every single item on your list except to getting to the second battery. I wasn't comfortable lifting the fuse panel, so I'll need to watch some videos on that. The Jeep is immaculate inside and out.

Now, I've tested the alternator, and it's barely sending out a charge. The most I got out of it is around 3v. Looks like it's not good.

Now, that we know the alternator is bad, do you folks think I should take it to Jeep and risk loosing my warranty & extended warranty or take it to an independent shop and pay out of pocket?
Have you "flushed" out the alternator with water very good? AKA not quite a pressure washer but close?
On the "issue" of losing warranty how much muck did you go through and no don't answer that here or post video's of it and expect "Jeep" to not know.
If the truck isn't covered in mud (as in prior one and posting videos of it) and damage then taking it to a dealership that's not a shady one but reasonable you should be good.
A reasonable amount of the ownership of a Jeep is doing Off-roading not tough truck competition like the tank trap.

Now one thing is if you play you will have to pay. you can find out the cost of the alternator, buy and install it yourself too. Skip the dealership. I'd try flushing it again first too. Then run it until the bearing go if you can flush it out and get it working.

Last edited:

StingGrayJT24

First Name
KH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Rubicon Gladiator
Ugggh. Mud strikes again! I was just thinking about these mud threads. I was watching a hockey game and a Honda commercial came on advertising their Ridgeline. It was plowing through mud causing it to spray higher than the truck. I remembering thinking yeah right, good luck with that.

I don’t think they will void your entire electrical warranty, but I’m sure others will disagree. I think worst case scenario, they may make you pay to fix it. I agree with others, make sure it looks pristine and don’t mention your wheeling trip. Be very nice when you take it in.

Good luck.

DankjeeP

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR, '98 XJ, '17 FLHXS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
HW Engineer
Here is a video on how to check your high amp fuses (which are hidden).

pppppppbbbbbbbbbbtttt I sadly admit I blew one of these suckers recently and didn't know about this piece. My Jeep went completely haywire with every fault you can imagine. I wish I took a video, it was very disturbing. Dealer fixed for $0, but good to know my friend.

Last edited:

DankjeeP

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR, '98 XJ, '17 FLHXS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
HW Engineer
Have you "flushed" out the alternator with water very good? AKA not quite a pressure washer but close?
On the "issue" of losing warranty how much muck did you go through and no don't answer that here or post video's of it and expect "Jeep" to not know.
If the truck isn't covered in mud (as in prior one and posting videos of it) and damage then taking it to a dealership that's not a shady one but reasonable you should be good.
A reasonable amount of the ownership of a Jeep is doing Off-roading not tough truck competition like the tank trap.

Now one thing is if you play you will have to pay. you can find out the cost of the alternator, buy and install it yourself too. Skip the dealership. I'd try flushing it again first too. Then run it until the bearing go if you can flush it out and get it working.
Haha I was looking at "tank trap" at Truckhaven this weekend and it looked fricken gnarly. Maybe in the XJ but no way in the JT.
Sponsored