Sponsored

Were you fortunate enough to grow up in the 80's?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
A little KC and the Sunshine Band every now and then is a good thing! 😉
Oh, ouch. Sorry, any time I hear that name or recognize one of their tunes, the radio goes off.

Sadly, some good bands broke up in the 80s -The Cars in 88, Eagles in 80, and others. (I can understand the situation with The Cars - Ric was a jerk)

The 80s was also a decade of decline for American cars - most are quite forgettable. (I own one of the exceptions)
Sponsored

Dewyaw

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 2015 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock; 1987 Jeep Wrangler Laredo; 1988 Porsche 911, 2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro, 1994 Toyota Pickup 4x4. Not all at the same time.
Oh, ouch. Sorry, any time I hear that name or recognize one of their tunes, the radio goes off.

Sadly, some good bands broke up in the 80s -The Cars in 88, Eagles in 80, and others. (I can understand the situation with The Cars - Ric was a jerk)

The 80s was also a decade of decline for American cars - most are quite forgettable. (I own one of the exceptions)
No doubt, the cars of the 80’s were not the best, but like the music, some timeless masterpieces emerged.

Starting with this one for me:

Jeep Gladiator Were you fortunate enough to grow up in the 80's? 8EE05A0C-EC7F-4656-8E29-0101DEAFB7BA

Shit, I just remembered Magnum P.I.!

Jeep Gladiator Were you fortunate enough to grow up in the 80's? 63058AEC-8320-44ED-8739-380D895D1C03

Bonus fun-fact: George Lucas originally wanted Tom Selleck to play Indiana Jones, but CBS wouldn’t allow him because of his commitment to Magnum P.I.

Can you imagine?!

CaptNkllm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Parachute pants! Half shirts and everything was done BY THE POWER OF GRAYSCULL!!! It’s just the He-Man in me.. lol
Don’t forget rolled up pants Swiss watches and I forget the name of the checkered shoes but not vans. Levi’s were big.. preps vs stoners ..

Fun times and the best of times.. no worries for the most part.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
No doubt, the cars of the 80’s were not the best, but like the music, some timeless masterpieces emerged.

Starting with this one for me:

Jeep Gladiator Were you fortunate enough to grow up in the 80's? 63058AEC-8320-44ED-8739-380D895D1C03

Shit, I just remembered Magnum P.I.!

Bonus fun-fact: George Lucas originally wanted Tom Selleck to play Indiana Jones, but CBS wouldn’t allow him because of his commitment to Magnum P.I.

Can you imagine?!
Ya proved my point about most American cars - with the BEAUTIES you posted here. OMG, I'd love to have Magnum's (or rather, Robin's) car from those days even today.

I actually watched TMNT with my kids in the late 80s. Goofy cartoon.

Sponsored

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Sorry for the long post but damn this thread is right on time. With the current state of the world, it always feels great to go down the nostalgia escape hatch. Born in 72, my wife in 71 (and I never let her forget who's oldest :). We have different musical tastes, but both agree on 80's. I was a bit more into new wave and early hip hop, while she's a bit more hair metal and pop, but we have a ton of common ground in 80's music.

Used to love Magnum PI as a kid. Some channel was running all of them in the spring-early summer and I was immediately transported back to 1983-86 watching them. Was big into any of the shows starring cars; Spencer for Hire, Greatest American Hero, Night Rider, even Dukes of Hazzard!

In an automotive sense, I actually think performance cars were beginning a come back during the 80's, especially during the later years of the decade. Mustangs started to get quick again around 85 and by 87, the "5.0" Fox body was making it's bones. Going head to head with the Camaro (I-ROC-Z anyone?). Don't forget the fun Japanese cars of the time too: Mazda RX-7, Nissan (still Datsun in the early 80s I think) 280Z, and the Toyota Supra (My Dad had an 84 model). Also, used cars from the 60's that go for 5-6 figures today were still cheap. My first car was a 65 Mustang Coupe with a 289. Pretty plain Jane, but everything to me. My best friend had a 67 with a 302. We'd spend hrs wrenching on them, then take a stopwatch and go out to see if 0-60 times had improved. Did our share of street racing as well, thank god we didn't hurt ourselves or anyone else, a minor miracle really.

Sponsored

Ghostwave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 cj8

Yeah, but 80’s kids didn’t own 80’s cars In the 80’s. We owned 60’s cars, which were awesome.

Ghostwave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 cj8
My wife and I watched Fast Times at Ridgemont High last night. Not a bad documentary. i Remembered the many Pat Benetars at school and turned up collars.

There is that one memory. Ah... if only we could really go back.

mtudb24

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Born in 71. Grew up in small town Michigan. 80's were great. Sad to see what my kids (13 and 16) are growing up with. Trying to give them as much experience as I had, but its tough.
Duck, Rabbit, and Pheasant Hunting after school with your buddies. Having your own flat bottom boat at 12 years old and just make sure stay close to shore in heavy winds. All of the kids on our couple of streets (12 of us varied in 3 years between oldest and youngest) Parents were all teachers in the same school district and we could hang out at anybody's house anytime we wanted.
Yup, miss those days.

Tufelhundin

First Name
Windsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S “sold”, 2022 JTR
Occupation
Gov
Was born in 69, so when the 80's hit I was ready for it for sure. We still had used 8 tracks, cassettes were "the thing" , air conditioning was an option in cars, IZOD and POLO shirts, Gerbeau jeans, Reeboks....

Along with Mongoose bikes, you had Redline, Diamondbacks, Kuwahara, etc.

Skateboards, slinky, Simon.....FUgg'n ATARI...loved playing it on my 12' black and white. Commadore 64, I remember a game called SNAFU...wasnt just a military acronym, LOL!

Video Arcades...Donkey Kong, DigDug, Centipede, Joust, Tron, PacMan "remember the song?"

Speaking of...we had 4 channels.... CBS, ABC, NBC, and PBS.

Either inside or outside...letting out the bought air was a NO NO

I live the 80's....my pin to get on my computer is 8675309, lol.

Music...oh wow...scared to go there I have 100's of CD's and most of 80's. Synthesizers were the thing and even the Rap Songs back then were songs about life, or about how someone could rap better than another...not gangstas, thugs, kill'n and swearing.

The decade of the Subaru BRAT and even the BRAT PACK, Classic Films as some have been mentioned...having a friday night gathering of friends to all watch Flash Gordon on VHS, Weird Science, Animal House, Stripes, going to the movies to watch Ghost Buster, Footloose., TopGunI...

The World had major concerns like the Cola Wars, Coke changing its flavor, winning money on pull tabs and bottle caps and...Who Shot JR???

Very fun thread and Im sure I will remember so much more as this thread continues...but I have to admit...Stompers were bad ass.
Sponsored