Sponsored

Were you fortunate enough to grow up in the 80's?

gouacats

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM; JK; WK2
The decade of the Subaru BRAT
Born in 71, so I was definitely a kid of the 80s!

I rode in the back of the Brat (remember those seats?) to Hands Across America. I got so sunburned that day!!!

Another random 80s memory - My big sis took me to opening night of Return of the Jedi. I think it was a 3 am showing. Anyhow, they started the movie to great cheer, but unfortunately, it was The Twilight Zone....and it was upside down. They got it straightened out after a long, impatient delay. :)
Sponsored

DirkG

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
This thread is rad.

If you haven't already, you need to watch Cobra Kai on Netflix. It's Karate Kid 30+ years later. Johnny Lawrence says out loud what most of us 40-plussers are thinking. It's a must see for Gen-Xers.

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
In the mid-1980s I had a rag-top 1978 CJ-7 (three-speed stick). Driving on the beach with no doors or top, a beautiful girl in the passenger seat, heading home from a day of surfing. Pure bliss.

Sponsored

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
In the mid-1980s I had a rag-top 1978 CJ-7 (three-speed stick). Driving on the beach with no doors or top, a beautiful girl in the passenger seat, heading home from a day of surfing. Pure bliss.
Back when a CJ7 was $6K.....Now a clean one sells for more than $20k+!

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Back when a CJ7 was $6K.....Now a clean one sells for more than $20k+!
I have always regretted selling that Jeep. For all its flaws, it is still the best vehicle I've ever owned. I put that thing on its side in a frozen creek in winter, and the next morning after we used a couple of winches to get it back on all fours, it started right up. Don't ask. I was 19...

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
This thread brings back some happy memories! I was born in '75, so the '80s were 5-15 for me.

Wake up Saturday morning, watch (real) cartoons while eating a sugary cereal breakfast, then out on the bike; just "come home for dinner when it starts turning to dusk".

Stopping in at my friend's unannounced, hanging out at my uncle's bakery and thinking we were so clever manipulating him to give us free doughnuts.

GI Joe, the good Transformers, M.A.S.K. (where illusion is the ultimate weapon), RC cars, ATARI 2600, PAC MAN game watch, Chuck Taylors, VANS, BMX bikes (and bike tracks). Ninja stars and nun-chucks. Lawn darts.

T-ball and 5am hockey practices.

Coming home from school and using the key tied to a shoestring around my neck if no one was home. Finding grandma came over to make dinner.

Fishing for bullheads in the Fraser River, picking my way across rocks at low tide to a "secret island" to play "war" with my buddies...getting stuck there when the tide comes in.

Wrenching in the garage with my dad, learning to work with wood from my grandfather.

First crush. First kiss. First...more than a kiss.

My wife and I were just walking around or new neighbourhood and found a nice park with ponds (full of ducks) and woods; I was surprised there were no kids running around as it would have been an awesome place to play. 100% my buddies and I would have built a raft and somehow avoided drowning. Aside from social media and video games, I think the biggest problem kids have these days are overprotective parents that won't let them be kids.

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Was born in 69, so when the 80's hit I was ready for it for sure. We still had used 8 tracks, cassettes were "the thing" , air conditioning was an option in cars, IZOD and POLO shirts, Gerbeau jeans, Reeboks....

Along with Mongoose bikes, you had Redline, Diamondbacks, Kuwahara, etc.

Skateboards, slinky, Simon.....FUgg'n ATARI...loved playing it on my 12' black and white. Commadore 64, I remember a game called SNAFU...wasnt just a military acronym, LOL!

Video Arcades...Donkey Kong, DigDug, Centipede, Joust, Tron, PacMan "remember the song?"

Speaking of...we had 4 channels.... CBS, ABC, NBC, and PBS.

Either inside or outside...letting out the bought air was a NO NO

I live the 80's....my pin to get on my computer is 8675309, lol.

Music...oh wow...scared to go there I have 100's of CD's and most of 80's. Synthesizers were the thing and even the Rap Songs back then were songs about life, or about how someone could rap better than another...not gangstas, thugs, kill'n and swearing.

The decade of the Subaru BRAT and even the BRAT PACK, Classic Films as some have been mentioned...having a friday night gathering of friends to all watch Flash Gordon on VHS, Weird Science, Animal House, Stripes, going to the movies to watch Ghost Buster, Footloose., TopGunI...

The World had major concerns like the Cola Wars, Coke changing its flavor, winning money on pull tabs and bottle caps and...Who Shot JR???

Very fun thread and Im sure I will remember so much more as this thread continues...but I have to admit...Stompers were bad ass.
Picked up one of these a while back (hope the link works here):
https://www.amazon.com/C64-Mini-not-machine-specific/dp/B07GMV1X1K
Pretty cool for the price. It is mostly games that were big in the UK in the 80's, but it has a few titles us Yanks will remember too. Best of all, it's possible to add other games to it (haven't gotten around to that yet), and you can still access the original commodore blue screen and cursor if you still remember BASIC. For that you have to plug in a USB keyboard as the keyboard on the unit is not functional. They do make a larger version with functioning keyboard, but it's kinda pricey.

Tufelhundin

First Name
Windsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S “sold”, 2022 JTR
Occupation
Gov
@ATLalien oh wow! Thats BA! I wish I would have kept my Atari 2600, Nintendo, Sega Genesis, etc. I was able to still have a Playstation 2 with the Arcade games like Dig Dug, Missle Command, Pacman, Galaga, Pole Position and others.

Sponsored

Tufelhundin

First Name
Windsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S “sold”, 2022 JTR
Occupation
Gov
Ha! Op

Reminds me of Swatch Watches, 😂

Sanganois

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2018 Ram 2500
Occupation
retired
None of you have mentioned your Cabbage Patch dolls.

OP
OP
Lateralus

Lateralus

Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
None of you have mentioned your Cabbage Patch dolls.
Lol, I don't remember having a doll(and wouldn't admit it online) but I sure as hell collected those cards! That was about the same time I was going a narly rat tail.
Sponsored