Sponsored

What are these 4 wires that go to the tailgate brakelight?

teamblkdog

First Name
Christy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
christykintzel.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Alu-Cab Canopy Camper
Occupation
visual designer
Are all 3 of your brake lights that you wired according to my photo still working?
I've finally got some time tomorrow to figure out what is wrong with mine. Just making sure my fix that worked for you guys is still working.

Thanks.
Good here!
Sponsored

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Good here!
Thanks. I think when I hooked mine up I crossed the wires, which won't work with LED. I had brown to black and I just switched em, and blue led wire to black harness wire worked. Brown led then to white green wire harness.

Anyways, so glad it wasn't the led light itself, thing is siliconed in and I didn't wanna screw with that, also bet it would take 4-6 months to get a new led light.

teamblkdog

First Name
Christy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
christykintzel.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Alu-Cab Canopy Camper
Occupation
visual designer
Thanks. I think when I hooked mine up I crossed the wires, which won't work with LED. I had brown to black and I just switched em, and blue led wire to black harness wire worked. Brown led then to white green wire harness.

Anyways, so glad it wasn't the led light itself, thing is siliconed in and I didn't wanna screw with that, also bet it would take 4-6 months to get a new led light.
I'll keep this in mind when I get the Oracle flush mount LED taillights!

Edub

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S (FULL PULL)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Security Response Manager
Are all 3 of your brake lights that you wired according to my photo still working?
I've finally got some time tomorrow to figure out what is wrong with mine. Just making sure my fix that worked for you guys is still working.

Thanks.
Yes mine are still working just fine.

garzilla

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Software Engineer
FINALLY GOT MINE WIRED UP!

Tapped the third brake light under the bed for the middle lights and the bed light for the cargo. With the tazer, I can turn the bed lights on for 30 min by pressing unlock 3 times.
Jeep Gladiator What are these 4 wires that go to the tailgate brakelight? 20211019_211102

I got brave and drilled holes into the sport bar to get a clean install. Used rubber grommets to protect the edges. Going to silicone them in and seal the holes too to keep water out.

Jeep Gladiator What are these 4 wires that go to the tailgate brakelight? 20211019_132920

Sponsored

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired Military
Do you have the trailer wiring in the back bumper? If so, get one of the T harnesses from Curt that connects to the trailer plug behind the bumper. It will give you an easy way to tap into the brake light. That's what I did to wire up my reverse lights.
Hey bud, I realized this is old, but looking at the T- Harness ..... does it completely replace the OEM 7 Pin socket thats in the bumper ? From the looks of it, you would remove the original 7 pin socket from the bumper, replce it with the 7-pin socket from the harness, then plug the OEM wiring harness into the other socket on the T-Harness and that would give you the free Flat 5-pin adapter ??? Just trying to figure it out... thanks

Last edited:

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Hey bud, I realized this is old, but looking at the T- Harness ..... does it completely replace the OEM 7 Pin socket thats in the bumper ? From the looks of it, you would remove the original 7 pin socket from the bumper, replce it with the 7-pin socket from the harness, then plug the OEM wiring harness into the other socket on the T-Harness and that would give you the free Flat 5-pin adapter ??? Just trying to figure it out... thanks
The Curt T-Harness connects behind the bumper. It plugs into the back of the OEM 7-pin socket, and the other side connects back to the factory wiring harness. It provides a 5-pin connector, and leaves the factory 7-pin in place and working.

montechie

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Writer of code, designer of things
I got an Alu-Cab canopy and I want to connect the canopy brake light to this light.

This is under the bed near the rear bumper.
The top wiring plug has 4 wires.
Jeep Gladiator What are these 4 wires that go to the tailgate brakelight? 20211019_132920

When I checked for continuity to ground I had continuity on the two wires on the right, and the far left green wire. each of them also showed a few milivolts of DC current. I'm no car wiring guy, no idea what this means.

The white with green stripe had 12 volts when the brake was on. So if I can't find a good ground under the bed, I'll probably tap into the black wire for ground and hope it works. I might also inspect the wiring under the tailgate cover to see if maybe i have a better time figuring out which one is truly ground.
This just helped us tremendously wiring up our OVRLND 3rd brake light to the tailgate brake light. The JL wiring diagram that's on the forum actually threw us off, the brake light wire colors seem to be different than the JT.

montechie

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Writer of code, designer of things
Do you have the trailer wiring in the back bumper? If so, get one of the T harnesses from Curt that connects to the trailer plug behind the bumper. It will give you an easy way to tap into the brake light. That's what I did to wire up my reverse lights.
I'm not sure this will work for a brake only light vs a turn-signal+brake light. I couldn't see a specific brake only wire for the 7 or 4 pin harness except for the electric brake control. Seems you would get the flashing center brake for left or right turning if you wired into the signal wires. Anyone successfully wire this way for center brake light? I thought trailers usually had 3rd brake lights too...

I was able to wire into the tailgate green-white-green wire (brake only, thanks to the OP's pictures!) and the black ground over behind the driver side wheel well.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
This just helped us tremendously wiring up our OVRLND 3rd brake light to the tailgate brake light. The JL wiring diagram that's on the forum actually threw us off, the brake light wire colors seem to be different than the JT.
I'm very happy that every few months another email notification pops up that this thread helped somebody new.

Sponsored

ParatusExpeditions

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JT Rubicon EcoDiesel
The top wiring plug has 4 wires.

Jeep Gladiator What are these 4 wires that go to the tailgate brakelight? 1665635501402

I wanted to touch the locking mechanism of the tailgate for other reasons, from your picture and electrical diagram (please correct me if I'm wrong), but it looks like the two left would be the tailgate lock mechanism. Attaching a diagram for an older JL model as a source for the theory I have, but I'm 99% sure they're wired the same.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator What are these 4 wires that go to the tailgate brakelight? 1665635501402

I wanted to touch the locking mechanism of the tailgate for other reasons, from your picture and electrical diagram (please correct me if I'm wrong), but it looks like the two left would be the tailgate lock mechanism. Attaching a diagram for an older JL model as a source for the theory I have, but I'm 99% sure they're wired the same.
i have no idea about the locking mechanism, sorry i'm no help.

fourfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD + ACCC
Build Thread
Link
This thread helped me too - my Alu-Cab install shop just wired the third brake light to the left brake light, so of course it flashed with the turn signal. Sigh. Removed the vampire tap behind the taillight. Searched on the best way to wire a simple brake signal on these trucks and found this.

Turns out the wiring harness in my (unused, in storage) tailgate was already hacked by the installers to steal the wiring connector to install the backup camera (SIGH) so I didn't feel too bad about fishing it out of the tailgate and repurposing it for brake and lock signal into the Alu-Cab. Working on a power locks project for the Alu-Cab so it really is PERFECT for me

If someday I ever need a working tailgate I'll just have to order the replacement harness I guess

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This thread helped me too - my Alu-Cab install shop just wired the third brake light to the left brake light, so of course it flashed with the turn signal. Sigh. Removed the vampire tap behind the taillight. Searched on the best way to wire a simple brake signal on these trucks and found this.

Turns out the wiring harness in my (unused, in storage) tailgate was already hacked by the installers to steal the wiring connector to install the backup camera (SIGH) so I didn't feel too bad about fishing it out of the tailgate and repurposing it for brake and lock signal into the Alu-Cab. Working on a power locks project for the Alu-Cab so it really is PERFECT for me

If someday I ever need a working tailgate I'll just have to order the replacement harness I guess
Power locks on an Alu-Cab? Can you post about that in this thread? https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/alu-cab-gladiator-bed-cap.30322/page-40