Sponsored

What did you do WITH your Gladiator today?

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Escaped a surge on the DE beach caused by whatever the latest disturbance in the Atlantic.

Thursday, finally got to use my surf fishing permit at Cape Henlopen for the first time and went out to get the lay of the land. Had to turn around kind of abruptly because I didn't realize the one section couldn't be driven on between 8 am and sunset, so we did get stuck briefly in the sand as my turn was too sharp and didn't follow tracks already present, also forgot to turn off traction control. All good though, got to use my multitool shovel and maxtraxx and got it out on the first try, so money well spent.
Jeep Gladiator What did you do WITH your Gladiator today? PXL_20210909_144902912

Jeep Gladiator What did you do WITH your Gladiator today? PXL_20210909_145337376

Then Friday, when we went out, I really did not know the affect the hurricane was having on the tide, and definitely should have checked the weather report before going out. But we got out there no problem at all, this time coming on the Key Box Rd access point. I thought I parked far enough away from the ocean to not have to worry about anything:
Jeep Gladiator What did you do WITH your Gladiator today? PXL_20210910_113333711

Boy, was I wrong! We spent about 2 hours on the beach, with three young kids. Once we finally had everyone settled (snacks, a tent set up, toys and activities) and the rod good to go (because we're novices), a surge pushed water into a pool up over the tracks we drove in on and water was pooling under the truck. It was time to go. We scrambled to put everything in the bed and get the kids loaded. My wife's phone ended up in water and we lost a pocket knife as well. I tried to turn and go the opposite way but there was nowhere to go as there was a deeper pool and no exit behind us. So had to turn back around and the only way out was how we came, over a football field worth of those tracks that were now in knee deep water and getting deeper by the second. My wife hopped out to spot from a dune. I stared at the pool with no lockers wondering if the truck had enough to make it through (believing we were totally f'd). I got the Jeep into 4Lo and began to ford the water. We got to about the halfway point, and I felt us slowing down and and losing traction, just about came to a stop at it's deepest, wiggled the steering wheel, hammered the throttle and gained enough footing to get to the dry sand and exit on the other side. My wife's phone fell in the water at some point, also lost a Sandler, a knife, and my fishing license plate was ripped off by the flood, so if anyone is out there and finds one, PM me!

All in all, I have a sport S with 3.73's, Rubi takeoff M/Ts, springs and shocks, and am still in awe we were able to get through. These things will go anywhere...

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bacstar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Data Analyst
Escaped a surge on the DE beach caused by whatever the latest disturbance in the Atlantic.

Thursday, finally got to use my surf fishing permit at Cape Henlopen for the first time and went out to get the lay of the land. Had to turn around kind of abruptly because I didn't realize the one section couldn't be driven on between 8 am and sunset, so we did get stuck briefly in the sand as my turn was too sharp and didn't follow tracks already present, also forgot to turn off traction control. All good though, got to use my multitool shovel and maxtraxx and got it out on the first try, so money well spent...
That's pretty scary... a couple stories this summer of people sinking or leaving their jeeps behind on a couple beaches due to high tides up here in Alaska...

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
That's pretty scary... a couple stories this summer of people sinking or leaving their jeeps behind on a couple beaches due to high tides up here in Alaska...
Oh yeah absolutely, I thought it was gone for a second, and insurance wasn't covering that. I'd have been without a glad for a while. Definitely tested the fording depths to the max

Bacstar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Data Analyst
Oh yeah absolutely, I thought it was gone for a second, and insurance wasn't covering that. I'd have been without a glad for a while. Definitely tested the fording depths to the max

You'd be surprised what insurance covers... i haven't had to yet. Guy sank his jeep by the glacier here. His insurance paid for the recovery; he even bought back the jeep after his insurance totaled it. Other jeep left at the beach for the tides to ruin, her insurance covered recovery and totaled as well; however, last i heard she was working on getting her gap coverage.

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
You'd be surprised what insurance covers... i haven't had to yet. Guy sank his jeep by the glacier here. His insurance paid for the recovery; he even bought back the jeep after his insurance totaled it. Other jeep left at the beach for the tides to ruin, her insurance covered recovery and totaled as well; however, last i heard she was working on getting her gap coverage.
Oh wow that is surprising. Either way, lots of lessons learned that day, even something as simple as check the weather report! Just cause it's 82 and sunny doesn't mean it's the perfect weather to drive on the beach.

Sponsored