WHAT I WILL DO WITH MY GLADIATOR

TopPinArcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Since my JL doesn’t have the tow capacity to tow my surf boat safely I will use it for that and since my wife will get the JL the JT will be used as my hunting/fishing/boating rig. I am going to wait for the diesel though

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Probably abandon it in the Darién Gap
I'll bite. What is the significance of this:

Darién Gap
Highway
The Darién Gap is a break in the Pan-American Highway consisting of a large swath of undeveloped swampland and forest within Panama's Darién Province in Central America and the northern porti…

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
lovely poem.
Thank you for complimenting my artwork. You know, for some people, questions have answers. But for me, everything usually starts at the beginning. In my case, when writing poetry. I have two fundamental, basic, root questions:

plywood_2-830x553.jpg

Karnivoolfan

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Baja

Darién Gap
Highway
The Darién Gap is a break in the Pan-American Highway consisting of a large swath of undeveloped swampland and forest within Panama's Darién Province in Central America and the northern porti…
The Darién Gap is the only reason you can't drive the Americas all the way through from Alaska in the North to the tip of South America.

It is swampland. Because of the wildlife, indigenous tribes, paramilitary guerillas and geography it would be very costly to build a road. As a result very few cars have ever driven through it from end to end and each time it took them like months.

I think like 5 or 6 cars two of them are Chevy Corvairs because 3 Corvairs went into the gap but they had to abandon one of them (it is still there and a hiker found it and took a photo of it rotting away for decades up to that point) and the other two made it out.

Anyway I was making a joke that I would try it with the Gladiator but fail miserably and end up abandoning it.

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
The Darién Gap is the only reason you can't drive the Americas all the way through from Alaska in the North to the tip of South America.

It is swampland. Because of the wildlife, indigenous tribes, paramilitary guerillas and geography it would be very costly to build a road. As a result very few cars have ever driven through it from end to end and each time it took them like months.

I think like 5 or 6 cars two of them are Chevy Corvairs because 3 Corvairs went into the gap but they had to abandon one of them (it is still there and a hiker found it and took a photo of it rotting away for decades up to that point) and the other two made it out.

Anyway I was making a joke that I would try it with the Gladiator but fail miserably and end up abandoning it.
That would be cool to conquer.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link

Awesome. Below pic from ewillys journey there in 1960s. Some young Jeepers out there must take this on in JT!

Known fact: the Willy's group below was sorely under resourced.. very sad news, we have reports that their budget was cut to afford the vehicle equipped as they may have preferred. Absolutely, the item cut turned out to be what they needed most. Forced to use actual trees, shown as innefective in pic below. You know it by it's modern name. Used for bridging mudflats. Plywood.

1961-national-geographic-darien-gap-kip-ross3-560x650.jpg

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Awesome. Below pic from ewillys journey there in 1960s. Some young Jeepers out there must take this on in JT!

Known fact: the Willy's group below was sorely under resourced.. very sad news, we have reports that their budget was cut to afford the vehicle equipped as they may have preferred. Absolutely, the item cut turned out to be what they needed most. Forced to use actual trees, shown as innefective in pic below. You know it by it's modern name. Used for bridging mudflats. Plywood.

1961-national-geographic-darien-gap-kip-ross3-560x650.jpg
LMAO, I bet several sheets of ply screwed to those trees would have made a nice road.

Matstock4

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna, 1989 Turbo Trans Am
This, but only better:

DeathValley-0101.jpg

DeathValley-0156.jpg
Amazing setup you got going here! :clap: :clap::clap: And yes the JT will improve on this amazingness!

I'm going to do a lil thread jacking... I got to hear more about your awesome setup? That trailer looks like the back half of a jeep? Plus it looks like your overlanding with your whole family with the duel tents?

Matstock4

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna, 1989 Turbo Trans Am

Darién Gap
Highway
Wha wha wha?!?! Probably one of the most epic overlanding expedition ever. Centered literally and figuratively on the Darien gap. Led by basically the founder of the Rubicon Trail, Mark Smith. A huge part of Jeep history. These vids should be a pre-req to any Jeep owner! (Don't feel bad because I just found this out a couple of months ago!)

Enjoy:

&

Sponsored

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Amazing setup you got going here! :clap: :clap::clap: And yes the JT will improve on this amazingness!

I'm going to do a lil thread jacking... I got to hear more about your awesome setup? That trailer looks like the back half of a jeep? Plus it looks like your overlanding with your whole family with the duel tents?
Thanks. The trailer is a Jeep tub, but not mine. I "rented" it from a fellow overlander in my local area to use for this trip. The trip was my dad, my self and my son in Death valley. My dad was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, so I planned that trip for the 3 of us to spend some time together. You can read my planning thread and my trip report if you are so inclined.

Matstock4

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. The trailer is a Jeep tub, but not mine. I "rented" it from a fellow overlander in my local area to use for this trip. The trip was my dad, my self and my son in Death valley. My dad was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, so I planned that trip for the 3 of us to spend some time together. You can read my planning thread and my trip report if you are so inclined.
Wow! Even more epic then I thought! What a trip! We all wish we had more time with those that we love! I'm glad you took advantage of that time w/ 3 generations. My Dad is at the end of line and my kids are too young for a trip like this. However all you can do is make the best of the time you have. We've done well over the years to make those memories. Sounds like you're doing the same :) thanks again for sharing!

Robieman

First Name
Robie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford F150; '20 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired

Lanyard

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Bros, many dudes been begging for more decades for a Jeep that hauls plywood.

Thats obvious because "plywood notch".

Yup.
'plywood notch yo' mammas Jeep!'

Why doesn't anyine have concern about the JT hauling sheetrock?

Wishin' I was fishin'
Sponsored