What is the best LED headlight bulb?

Punknhead

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Do we have a consensus on what is considered the LED headlight bulb to get—just plug and play? Maybe the best overall and also the best for the money?
Sponsored

Wkyfiregladdy

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Mechanic
Reactions: Mac

Wicknalter

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Don’t bother just buying the bulb. Led bulbs do not work in halogen housings I repeat do not work! People can’t rant and rave about them but everyone and their brother will hit their highs at you. The led lights causes a blinding glare.

I myself have an expensive set of Oracle led bulbs would never do it again. They may seem brighter the actual usable light is small and the spread is bad. Save up buy all new headlights. Currently saving to do that next even though I want a bumper and winch.It’s winter and seeing in this dark is more important

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Don’t bother just buying the bulb. Led bulbs do not work in halogen housings I repeat do not work! People can’t rant and rave about them but everyone and their brother will hit their highs at you. The led lights causes a blinding glare.

I myself have an expensive set of Oracle led bulbs would never do it again. They may seem brighter the actual usable light is small and the spread is bad. Save up buy all new headlights. Currently saving to do that next even though I want a bumper and winch.It’s winter and seeing in this dark is more important
Yup
There are LEGAL SPECS for lights. Anything can say "DOT approved" but that's meaningless.
Housings and reflectors and shades are made for specific lights and purposes.
People need to check out danielsternlighting or whatever his site is.
I've yet to see anyone who is better at lighting. (a lot of armchair experts - I did it and I love it sorts of course....)

Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
You guys saying no to LED bulbs, is this based on first hand knowledge in a JT or just repeating what you have read somewhere?
The new LED bulbs are quite a bit different than the LED bulbs from a few years ago, they make a noticeable improvement and don't scatter the light or blind oncoming traffic, the cutoff is just as clean and at the same point as the bulbs they replace.

jeffande

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willy's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sales
I just installed the Beamtechs in my truck and have yet to have anyone flash me. I am pretty happy with the results.

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubi, '03 BMW Z4, '20 Mitsu OutSport
Occupation
Software Developer
OP
OP
Punknhead

Punknhead

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That Amazon page has a vehicle check, and it’s telling me those bulbs don’t fit the 2020 Gladiator.
I saw that too. I want to try them but I want to make sure I get the right ones.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Those are the ones listed in one of the threads on LED bulbs, I bought them, the amber fog light bulbs and the two bulbs in the fender lights, none of them say they work in the JT but they all worked great, 100% plug and play no flicker and no fast blink on the directional

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
You guys saying no to LED bulbs, is this based on first hand knowledge in a JT or just repeating what you have read somewhere?
The new LED bulbs are quite a bit different than the LED bulbs from a few years ago, they make a noticeable improvement and don't scatter the light or blind oncoming traffic, the cutoff is just as clean and at the same point as the bulbs they replace.
No one is saying "no" to LED - what they are saying is that to do it correctly, don't just swap bulbs if you don't have LED headlamp assemblies already.
Each headlamp is made to the bulb TYPE it's going to use.
Sure, people swap LED into halogen and swear it's fine - well, from their BUTT test equipment, sure, but it's not the right way to do it.
I have LED - I'm fine with LED, but I ordered it that way. My headlights are made FOR LED.

If I didn't have LED and wanted them, I'd swap THE ENTIRE ASSEMBLY, not just swap bulbs out.
The others are, well, won't say it because as far as they are concerned - it's fine.
But technically it's not and you do not get great results putting LED into other assemblies - you get "ok results" sometimes.
Go LED, but get LED lights, not just "bulbs".

It's one of those "I did it and it worked" sorts of things - doesn't mean it's right or even BEST results, they are getting by and are apparently happy. Imagine if it was done to the very best level - they'd be beyond happy.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So... no first hand knowledge?
As I said a lot has changed in LED bulbs which allows them to work effectively in halogen housings.

OP
OP
Punknhead

Punknhead

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So... no first hand knowledge?
As I said a lot has changed in LED bulbs which allows them to work effectively in halogen housings.
Mac—do you have a link to the daytime running lights bulb you used?

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Define knowledge. LED bulbs have advanced significantly but they're still limited to how light is reflected and LED light has always had an inferior throw in reflector housings. They compensate for this by increasing intensity which blinds the shit out of people near you.

OP
OP
Punknhead

Punknhead

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I could live with the stock lights—but if I can get any improvement and still control the beam (no blinding people!) for $36 it’s kind of a no-brainer. Totally understand others have different needs/standards—but I’m just looking for a little improvement and also a white light to match my fog lights. Thanks all for the help.
Sponsored