Sponsored

What should I tell the dealership to get second steering box TSB fix?

4xjeepr

First Name
DON
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Sport, 06 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 95 Wrangler Rio Grande
For what it's worth, had my 2020 JT steering box replaced under the recall. Worked perfectly after replacement. Approximately a month/month & a half, I started hearing a "clicking" under the hood as I turned the wheel left and right. I wondered if the box may have gone bad as the sounds were coming from that area. Scheduled an inspection with my dealer in Lexington. Took it in, inspection was completed and my tech told me that yes in fact my box was bad. They immediately ordered a new box from Jeep and had it in and installed 10 days later. There was no issues at all with my dealer. They have been great with me and my vehicles whenever I have brought it in.
I was worried about a denial as well but, wanted to be straight with them. All worked out well and happy with how it all transpired.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
My mistake it was toe-in. The driver side was .39 and the passenger was .32 corrected to .05
.05 is the steer ahead angle.
That's the angle of the steering wheel when the wheels are straight ahead on a flat road.

Toe would be more like 1/8 degree for example.

OP
OP
Davesnothereman

Davesnothereman

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Liberty
.05 is the steer ahead angle.
That's the angle of the steering wheel when the wheels are straight ahead on a flat road.

Toe would be more like 1/8 degree for example.
I’m just repeating what’s on the alignment paper I have. That’s exactly what is has.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Your alignment sheet should look like this - it should show a before and after. This is the sheet from when I had the dealer simply check mine - no changes were made so it says "current measurements".
So folks looking on know - "steer ahead" would ideally be 0.0 degrees - perfectly level. That is perfection. Anything .05 or less is great as it means the wheel is pretty danged level to be less than 1/10 of a degree off.
They show toe on each side with the steering wheel level or as close to level as possible, and they show a total toe.
Total toe is what we used to go by before the modern equipment and methods. We'd center the wheel, lock it in place (not with the column lock) and then set toe-in (toe out for front wheel drive)
Anyway, steer ahead is the steering wheel, toe is the number of degrees the front of the tire is inward from perfectly straight ahead. As my father would say to compare - it's either knock-knee'd or pigeon-toed.

In my example, steering wheel pretty much straight ahead (.02 degrees from perfectly level), I show a total toe of 9/32 degrees and split fairly equally each side. There's only 1/32 of a degree difference on mine. OCD perfection would be a perfect split, say 1/8 degree each side for a total of 1/4 degree. We used to use inches, like 1/8" toe-in instead of degrees but if you put bigger wheels and tires on, even if the degrees are the same the inches would be very different.
Mine IMO, is on the light side of caster - 4 degrees is minimum on a JT and mine is 4.25 right and 4.5 degrees left so I'm just inside caster specs.

All the dealer can set is steer ahead and toe. Toe should be equal left vs. right (in specs of 1/32-11/64 degrees each side) with near zero or zero steer ahead.

Jeep Gladiator What should I tell the dealership to get second steering box TSB fix? 20210915_JT-alignment

OP
OP
Davesnothereman

Davesnothereman

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Liberty
I’ll make this short and sweet. My steering is worse now. Sales person gave me my paperwork and I think gave me the wrong one, so I can’t tell you guys the steering part number that was put in. I left my jeep there, that’s how bad it is.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Correct steering gear for the JT left hand drive (U.S., Canada, etc.) is
68507576AA
or
68507576AB (this is likely the one out there now)

You can pull up the thin plastic shield by the left wheel and see the steering gear, part number label should be visible.

OP
OP
Davesnothereman

Davesnothereman

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Liberty
Correct steering gear for the JT left hand drive (U.S., Canada, etc.) is
68507576AA
or
68507576AB (this is likely the one out there now)

You can pull up the thin plastic shield by the left wheel and see the steering gear, part number label should be visible.
I left my jeep at the dealership, they will probably give me the correct paperwork next time but when I get my Jeep back, I’ll post the steering box number.

Elff

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ Rubicon, Buell XBRS
Occupation
Interwebs
Vehicle Showcase
I just took this picture of my 2022 Rubicon

Jeep Gladiator What should I tell the dealership to get second steering box TSB fix? 1642466694536

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That's a 2022 - possibly they've totally changed the part for 2022. There's any number of reasons for them to do so.
2020 and 2021` have the other numbers.

Is yours a diesel by any chance?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Davesnothereman

Davesnothereman

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Liberty
That's a 2022 - possibly they've totally changed the part for 2022. There's any number of reasons for them to do so.

I don’t know if the flashed the ECU, would that matter if they put a 2022 box in?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t know if the flashed the ECU, would that matter if they put a 2022 box in?
Don't know about that part - but when the steering gear is swapped they must perform a flash. There's even a separate communication to dealers on that.

We don't know why the change to a totally different part number on the 2022.
(and was that a DIESEL or gas that the 68551xxxx part number came from??????? If diesel, that could be why that 2022 number is different, not because it is a 2022)

Elff

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ Rubicon, Buell XBRS
Occupation
Interwebs
Vehicle Showcase

I have a the 3.6L gas engine.

How’s your steering though?
I lowered the Tire pressure down to 35Psi and so far it is not bad.
I have to make slight corrections based on the road dipping, but I live in PA, and we have some of the shittiest roads in the country. I will have to see how it feels on one of the main highways. I have a longer drive on Saturday to pick up an 18' trailer and that will be a good test for me.

I will say, my 2004 TJ Rubicon on 35s does feel tighter. I have the OffRoad Only Tru Turn on that which splits the Tie Rod from the Drag Link, and the Steering box was upgraded by the previous owner to the MB one.

All of this aside, I think the Gladiator feels ok and I can comfortably drive it with 1 hand without feeling uneasy

OP
OP
Davesnothereman

Davesnothereman

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Liberty
I have a the 3.6L gas engine.

I lowered the Tire pressure down to 35Psi and so far it is not bad.
I have to make slight corrections based on the road dipping, but I live in PA, and we have some of the shittiest roads in the country. I will have to see how it feels on one of the main highways. I have a longer drive on Saturday to pick up an 18' trailer and that will be a good test for me.

I will say, my 2004 TJ Rubicon on 35s does feel tighter. I have the OffRoad Only Tru Turn on that which splits the Tie Rod from the Drag Link, and the Steering box was upgraded by the previous owner to the MB one.

All of this aside, I think the Gladiator feels ok and I can comfortably drive it with 1 hand without feeling uneasy
It’s not a massive problem daily driving in good weather, although I’m highly use to it now. Long distance driving is exhausting, towing is exhausting and a little unnerving and driving in the snow is nail biting.
My dealer is also replacing my steering damper but I have to wait 45 days for parts on that and the manager is driving my jeep right now.

Elff

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ Rubicon, Buell XBRS
Occupation
Interwebs
Vehicle Showcase
I've read a bunch of people saying the Fox Steering stabilizer makes a big difference
Sponsored