First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Hi Darlene. Have my appt for the steering issue for the 26th. I'll let you know what they say. I already know the answer.
Please keep me updated! If you would like to have a case escalated on your behalf, please send our team a private message with your VIN, mileage, and dealer.

Darlene
Jeep Cares
Sponsored

Phljeeper

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
I work
Vehicle Showcase
I have held off because I didnā€™t see any issues but now have 30k miles and started having looser steering and a bit of catching while steering. Getting it relaxed on Wednesday. Hope it resolves the issues.

Chinz67

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hydra Blue Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
Please keep me updated! If you would like to have a case escalated on your behalf, please send our team a private message with your VIN, mileage, and dealer.

Darlene
Jeep Cares
Thank you mam.

Davesnothereman

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Liberty
Raise your hand if you crashed because of your steering. If my dealship doesnā€™t fix my steering after this.... getting rid of the Gladiator for good. Not risking my life to drive this thing in the snow anymore.

DMAN51

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
ReadyLift South Region Sales Mgr.
Have you SEEN it or are they BSing you? What measurement procedure? Alignment?

So far no one can provide it or give details.
they had the new TSB dated Dec 3rd. They had it in front of me and basically calls out for specs and measurements. It's there way of cutting down on free replacements just because you may feel a little.

Sponsored

DMAN51

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
ReadyLift South Region Sales Mgr.
This is not true, I just had them order my steering box 3 weeks ago and they just asked me if it was doing any 1 of the things on a list and I said yeah and they ordered it. They haven't checked anything on mine as far as steering goes.
well, maybe they haven't paid much attention??? IDK. I saw the TSB. I just knew I was getting mine done and that's all that mattered to me.

RiverMtnBeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S MaxTow
Jury in. Iā€™m almost laughing, no, I AM laughing at those who Actually advised others that this was simply how a live axle drove. Yeah, itā€™s better. A lot better.
Iā€™m laughing at myself for thinking it was just me! šŸ¤£šŸ˜Ž Seriously, old U-haul vs sports car better, even with my slightly off-center steering wheel (apparently theyā€™re not so great at alignments).

cosoloco

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT LE GCM
Crazy thing happened this week: my track bar bolt fell clean out on the road.

I had just had my steering box upgraded from aluminum to steel last week. I noticed that the play did not improve, and now the truck was out of alignment so I brought it back into the dealer. On the drive there, the steering got progressively worse (over the span of 6 miles) until I could hear the bar banging around below me. I made it to the dealer and they confirmed: bolt was gone. They said they didnt touch the track bar when they swapped the boxes the week prior. Stock JT Rubi with 5k miles.

Just glad it didnt happen on the freeway.

Davesnothereman

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Liberty
Has anyone actually tried diagnosing this themselves? My steering is fine until the steering column goes into the steering box.... so the play is from the steering box connection to the steering column or the steering box itself. And Iā€™m told that the new steering box they install for the TSB is the same as the old one. Can anyone confirm this as well?

TrainMan

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Chevy Silverado, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S.
Has anyone actually tried diagnosing this themselves? My steering is fine until the steering column goes into the steering box.... so the play is from the steering box connection to the steering column or the steering box itself. And Iā€™m told that the new steering box they install for the TSB is the same as the old one. Can anyone confirm this as well?
The new steering box is not the old kind. It's a different design and looks different. Old one is a gray silver color. New one is painted black.

Sponsored

Davesnothereman

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Liberty
Sounds like the only thing different is that itā€™s not aluminum and itā€™s painted black but other than that, itā€™s the same. I had the TSB and I still have thee same issue. They casted the same thing with a different metal and slapped black paint on it.... solid fix.... not. If thereā€™s another steering box that will fit it, letā€™s say from like a grand Cherokee or something, I bet that would fix it.

Erievon

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR., 2021 JLU Altitude
Occupation
International Banker
Had mine done Tuesday, and my steering is MUCH better. No dead spot on center, tracks straight, and they managed to get my steering wheel straight too. I did notice the steering is a little stiffer in low speed maneuvers, but not in a bad way...I like it.

seven30

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM 6spd, 2001 Cherokee, 1992 Comanche
Occupation
Programer
Jury in. Iā€™m almost laughing, no, I AM laughing at those who Actually advised others that this was simply how a live axle drove. Yeah, itā€™s better. A lot better.
Hey folks, new guy here. About to pick up a Mojave end of month and figured Id jump in with both feet on this topic since I have some historical experience with live axle Cherokees.
The first thing I can tell everyone for a solid fact is my older Comanche and Cherokees all steered light precise and quick. Ive also owned a 2000 and 2001 Cherokee and BOTH had crappy heavy imprecise steering.
I suspect a corporate change to the steering for certain models maybe as a response to the Wrangler roll over crashes. I got this idea after driving some new Gladiators and noticing the steering is similar to the 2000/2001 Cherokees.

Interestingly my sons 2001 4wd Grand Cherokee has a live axle and steers like a fricken Porsche.

Hermhonger

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2016 Jeep Wrangler JK,
Occupation
retired
My 2020 would not track straight at all. It wandered all over and I had to really pay attention to keep it straight. Last summer I had it in the shop as the stop start quit working (I hate stop start but figured I better have it fixed - the battery failed). He found the service bulletin and ordered the new box. I had it installed and what a difference. It drives so much better. It was worth it.
Sponsored