Sponsored

What should I tell the dealership to get second steering box TSB fix?

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
If the new dealership can’t figure it out then the next step by the “dealership” not you, is to get Jeep engineering involved to come up with the fix. Yours is not the first with this issue, it’s already documented on your VIN, the Technical Service Bulletin repair did NOT fix the problem, balls in their court now. Any dealership (your original one)
that denies you a repair while under warranty is very sketchy.
Good choice to move along to another dealership AND report the first one to the district manager.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Davesnothereman

Davesnothereman

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Liberty
If the new dealership can’t figure it out then the next step by the “dealership” not you, is to get Jeep engineering involved to come up with the fix. Yours is not the first with this issue, it’s already documented on your VIN, the Technical Service Bulletin repair did NOT fix the problem, balls in their court now. Any dealership (your original one)
that denies you a repair while under warranty is very sketchy.
Good choice to move along to another dealership AND report the first one to the district manager.
You’re completely right. Unfortunately no one at jeep cares ironically cares, jeep doesn’t, Chrysler doesn’t, the old dealership didn’t… there’s no problem with the steering, it’s suppose to drive like that. How do you argue against the dealership telling you this? In the end of the day, doesn’t matter how “right” you are… when the dealership or company tells you it’s fine…. It’s fine.

OP
OP
Davesnothereman

Davesnothereman

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Liberty
It’s a Jeep thing..hahahahaha.
Trade it in for a Bronco.
Seriously is it still under warranty?
Go to your new dealership tell them the issue and let THEM figure it out and go from there. It’s their job. Go for a ride along with the tech or Service Manager, let them drive and then say……see it’s effed up, fix it please. Like I told many before, get the rig on an alignment rack, check the specs, go from there.
Like I mentioned above, so far I’ve been told that the steering is fine. They wouldn’t do anything to fix the steering before the TSB. TSB came out and they performed it… it was slightly worse after that and they continued to tell me there was no problem, that’s how it’s suppose to drive. I only hope this new dealership wants to fix the jeep. The jeep only has like 13,000 miles on it and 1 year 4 months old… plenty of warranty left.

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Like I mentioned above, so far I’ve been told that the steering is fine. They wouldn’t do anything to fix the steering before the TSB. TSB came out and they performed it… it was slightly worse after that and they continued to tell me there was no problem, that’s how it’s suppose to drive. I only hope this new dealership wants to fix the jeep. The jeep only has like 13,000 miles on it and 1 year 4 months old… plenty of warranty left.
Consider the old dealership history, no longer relative moving forward.
Now the new supposedly better dealership “can” make this right. Give them the chance and go from there.
I am sitting next to a Stellantis (ugh) Service Manager right now. This is her advice. I trust her and let her snore next to me every night.😏

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
"" Truth is that the TSB never helped it and actually made it a tiny worse"".

Sponsored

OP
OP
Davesnothereman

Davesnothereman

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Liberty
Consider the old dealership history, no longer relative moving forward.
Now the new supposedly better dealership “can” make this right. Give them the chance and go from there.
I am sitting next to a Stellantis (ugh) Service Manager right now. This is her advice. I trust her and let her snore next to me every night.😏
It’s good advice about reporting them but I have a family member that doesn’t want me to report them since they go to the same dealership. These people are petty enough to take it out on them. My family member has had issues with this dealership but not nearly as bad as I have. Unfortunately they’re stubborn and most likely won’t change dealerships… I’m gonna work on convincing them to change dealerships so I can report them without repercussions and retaliation.

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
It’s good advice about reporting them but I have a family member that doesn’t want me to report them since they go to the same dealership. These people are petty enough to take it out on them. My family member has had issues with this dealership but not nearly as bad as I have. Unfortunately they’re stubborn and most likely won’t change dealerships… I’m gonna work on convincing them to change dealerships so I can report them without repercussions and retaliation.
Well on this, if they have had issues with this same dealership, why continue to give them your business? At what point do you wait for them to mistreat your family member again? You say they are petty enough to take it out them. Read that sentence again, and ask yourself why you are going there? If it’s a matter of convenience (proximity) is that a good enough reason to accept their BS?
I wouldn’t.
Best of luck, keep this thread going on your issue getting resolved.
Cheers.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Old dealership refused to do a second steering box TSB, so I found a new one that is gonna look at it. They’re gonna ask me if this is a new issue with the steering box or if the TSB never fixed anything. My question is: what do I tell them? I don’t want to give them an answer that will get my TSB denied. Truth is that the TSB never helped it and actually made it a tiny worse.

This may or may not be your issue, but so you have any clunks in your steering or at low speeds like when pulling into a parking spot? Mine did and they replaced my drag link and it tightened things up a lot. Also, have you checked the bolt tightness on the steering gear box? Mine were never tightened properly and my loose steering came back. It’s been good for like a year now and borderline great (for SFA) since the drag link replacement. It never felt loose before, but the best way that I can describe it is it feels right and like I just drove it off the lot as a 2021 that had the correct steering gear from the factory.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Well they can't do the TSB again if they did it already it has been wiped from the vehicles bulletin list. They'll just look at it like any other concern and try to fix it
Semantics - call it what you want, they followed the TSB and did the whole process on mine again, including a new steering gear, alignment check, etc.
I told them of my thought about how loose it was how bad it wandered, handed them the LATEST TSB revision where it states "align" and gives more specifics.

So yes, in a real sense, they did it twice............ I'm on the second replacement. It's loosened up a bit but still far better than it was with the first replacement. (still tempted to put on the MOPAR lift kit lower control arms)

My first replacement steering gear - THIS is the part number the TSB specifies -

Jeep Gladiator What should I tell the dealership to get second steering box TSB fix? 20200911_181015

This is the next steering gear I got - minor revision, AB - not sure what the difference is or was, usually when the last letter changes it's an extremely minor change -

Jeep Gladiator What should I tell the dealership to get second steering box TSB fix? 20210506_123436_2

get a copy of the TSB, there is verbiage in there that triggers the dealer to perform it. AKA customer complains XYZ is happening" then go talk to your dealer and use verbiage similar to the TSB.
I bet I have posted the steering TSBs here in the forums at least a half dozen times - if not more.

But - LOL - here it is AGAIN -

Attachments

Sponsored

OP
OP
Davesnothereman

Davesnothereman

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Liberty
This may or may not be your issue, but so you have any clunks in your steering or at low speeds like when pulling into a parking spot? Mine did and they replaced my drag link and it tightened things up a lot. Also, have you checked the bolt tightness on the steering gear box? Mine were never tightened properly and my loose steering came back. It’s been good for like a year now and borderline great (for SFA) since the drag link replacement. It never felt loose before, but the best way that I can describe it is it feels right and like I just drove it off the lot as a 2021 that had the correct steering gear from the factory.
The play in the steering wheel happens before the steering box is even engaged. You can see it and from underneath the jeep. No clunking that I’ve ever noticed. The tension on the steering box is correct and so was the original aluminum one. The new dealership is gonna inspect the jeep next week when I go in for some service work.

OP
OP
Davesnothereman

Davesnothereman

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Liberty
I’ve seen this video a long time ago lol… didn’t help. Plus, I don’t know why I would be having to mess with a jeep under warranty… it’s a really easy thing to try but I don’t know why I even paid for the warranty at this point. It feels like the issue lies where the steering column meets the steering box. The play is there when the power steering is on and off.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
The play in the steering wheel happens before the steering box is even engaged. You can see it and from underneath the jeep. No clunking that I’ve ever noticed. The tension on the steering box is correct and so was the original aluminum one. The new dealership is gonna inspect the jeep next week when I go in for some service work.
Ok if I’m understanding you correctly then it could be something like your drag link or definitely some steering part other than the box itself.

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
I sympathize with your situation, but you can't go in there with the attitude you're showing below:
😂 Honest? They’re far from honest and I don’t want my “honest” answer getting me denied services on a new Gladiator under warranty for a TSB.
Not looking to be coached on morals. My question isn’t based on morality, I’m not 5 years old so anyone looking to coach me on morals can just… not leave a comment.
They won’t get as much as an inspection or oil change out of me. Found a better dealership… any dealership is better than the one who denied me.
WOW! How awesome, they fixed your lemon gladiator and you didn’t have to seek literally every outlet possible.
Everyone involved with jeep is worthless.
Unfortunately no one at jeep cares ironically cares, jeep doesn’t, Chrysler doesn’t, the old dealership didn’t…
You need to be open to working with the new dealer, be honest and amicable. The dealership is a private business and has no obligation to you. If you go in there with the mentality that "the world is out to get me" and "everyone is incompetent", do you really expect them to have any respect or empathy for you and your situation?

Take it in, explain the situation calmly and clearly, don't B.S. them or bring up the other dealership, and go from there. Everything else is just getting you all worked up which is not going to help you.

Last edited:

Chestnut

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 WRX, 2017 Forester XT, 2021 JTO
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I'm not going to be any help. I've read quite a bit about the steering and it doesn't make sense to me. I've put 7k miles on my JT since I got it and while the steering is considerably different from my R & P sports car it by no means seems unsafe. I wish I could drive the vehicles that field these complaints so I could understand. I think that is the disconect between you and your dealer as well. If you can get video of the occurance and share with with them it might go a long way. Often a short drive isn't enough to ferret out odd issues that arise under specific circumstances.

I feel for you on having an inssue with a vehicles that the dealer is unwilling to fix. Same thing happened with my GMC Canyon, had an inttermitttant issue since day 1 and was never fixed for 3 years. I sold the vehicle before it ever could get resolved after 4-5 visits to the dealer, wasting about 15-20 hours of my life and extensive communication with GM corporate. GM is dead to me, will never again buy one of their vehicles.
Sponsored