Sponsored

What should I tell the dealership to get second steering box TSB fix?

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
I told them that already, that’s not what I’m asking. They’re gonna ask if the TSB fixed the issue or if this one just wore out.
And you tell them you don't know.

As you stated, you felt it was worse after the initial repair and the original dealer doesn't want to touch it.
Sponsored

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
I already told them I had it once and they’re taking it in next week to look at it. But they’re going to ask me if it’s basically a faulty steering box or this TSB never fixed the original problem. I don’t care what they do, I just want it fixed but I want the steering box replaced.
Just curious, is there a reason you want it replaced even if it doesn’t correct your issue?

Sponsored

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
What else do you think they're going to ask? It's not your job to diagnose the truck, it's theirs. If they ask you what you think the problem is, your answer should be that you aren't a mechanic. End of story.

Just be up front, keep it factual, and don't lie about anything.

Chris262

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Auto Technician
Well they can't do the TSB again if they did it already it has been wiped from the vehicles bulletin list. They'll just look at it like any other concern and try to fix it

OP
OP
Davesnothereman

Davesnothereman

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Liberty
Just curious, is there a reason you want it replaced even if it doesn’t correct your issue?
The specs are way off on the steering boxes but every so often there’s a better steering box. I’ve done a lot of research and looked into and tried everything else. The one dealership told me that’s just how it drives. I’ve never owned a rack and pinion… jeeps all my life and the only jeep that drove like this was my ‘98 grand Cherokee and I fixed that with a new steering box. I tried fixing the tension but it was just shot, this is the same. I didn’t mind driving the grand Cherokee like it was, I was able to get the wheels straight and I was fine, this Gladiator can’t keep straight.

robinja

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, TJ
Occupation
Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Old dealership refused to do a second steering box TSB, so I found a new one that is gonna look at it. They’re gonna ask me if this is a new issue with the steering box or if the TSB never fixed anything. My question is: what do I tell them? I don’t want to give them an answer that will get my TSB denied. Truth is that the TSB never helped it and actually made it a tiny worse.
I took a video of the dead spot and the drift at 70mph and showed it to my service manager. He immediately put me in for steering box replacement. I'm guessing he thought I was a lawsuit waiting to happen. lol

Sponsored

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
get a copy of the TSB, there is verbiage in there that triggers the dealer to perform it. AKA customer complains XYZ is happening" then go talk to your dealer and use verbiage similar to the TSB.
Even if the TSB has been performed and the same reported issues are continuing you can try to get you dealer to dig deeper. Don't expect to get anything free and ask them how much it costs an hour for them to try and find the issue, before demanding it's a warranty job. Agree to x amount of time to have them look into it, and if something is found I bet the dealer will then treat it as a warranty claim.

https://mitchell1.com/ is like chiltons for the pros, they maintain a list of TSB if you are a paying client. Go find a independent shop and ask them to print out all the TSB mitchells1 has listed for a few bucks.

OP
OP
Davesnothereman

Davesnothereman

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Liberty
get a copy of the TSB, there is verbiage in there that triggers the dealer to perform it. AKA customer complains XYZ is happening" then go talk to your dealer and use verbiage similar to the TSB.
Even if the TSB has been performed and the same reported issues are continuing you can try to get you dealer to dig deeper. Don't expect to get anything free and ask them how much it costs an hour for them to try and find the issue, before demanding it's a warranty job. Agree to x amount of time to have them look into it, and if something is found I bet the dealer will then treat it as a warranty claim.

https://mitchell1.com/ is like chiltons for the pros, they maintain a list of TSB if you are a paying client. Go find a independent shop and ask them to print out all the TSB mitchells1 has listed for a few bucks.
Thanks for the advice but I’m done with this one dealership in particular. They won’t get as much as an inspection or oil change out of me. Found a better dealership… any dealership is better than the one who denied me.

OP
OP
Davesnothereman

Davesnothereman

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Liberty
I took a video of the dead spot and the drift at 70mph and showed it to my service manager. He immediately put me in for steering box replacement. I'm guessing he thought I was a lawsuit waiting to happen. lol
WOW! How awesome, they fixed your lemon gladiator and you didn’t have to seek literally every outlet possible. The old dealership refused to work on my gladiator and every time I tried to get them to fix it, they told me no and that’s just how it drove. Everyone involved with jeep is worthless. Chrysler sent out an inspector to checkout the jeep after I CRASHED IT… they got in the jeep…. Turned right while stationary…. Turned left while stationary…. Told me it was fine. Cya later.

Eric Kern

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition Bright White (stock) / 2009 Harley Davidson Night Train / 2021 Yamaha GP1800R Riva Racing Stage 1+

NHTSA keeps track of all Recalls and Manufacturers Communications (TSB’s), and it’s free to anyone.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2020/JEEP/GLADIATOR/PU%252FCC/4WD#manufacturerCommunications

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
It’s a Jeep thing..hahahahaha.
Trade it in for a Bronco.
Seriously is it still under warranty?
Go to your new dealership tell them the issue and let THEM figure it out and go from there. It’s their job. Go for a ride along with the tech or Service Manager, let them drive and then say……see it’s effed up, fix it please. Like I told many before, get the rig on an alignment rack, check the specs, go from there.
Sponsored