Sponsored

What should I tell the dealership to get second steering box TSB fix?

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
I mean, this right here seems to lead you down the path we've all said: Your issues might not be with the steering box.

I figured out why I have the death wobble, I believe that the ball joints were not torqued down to spec and became loose.
But then you jump to this, and I'm lost again. What makes you think this?

I believe that the dead space in the steering wheel is because of the input shaft into the steering box not fitting perfectly.
You've got evidence of something else going on, but seem to be ignoring it and going to a completely different problem that you've got no evidence of yet. What am I missing? So far all your posts are "I think" and "I believe" and "In my head" and so on, but nothing of substance is there to help troubleshoot. It all seems speculative and imaginative. Nothing with "I saw" or "I observed" or "I measured".

None of us know what the true problem is, but one of the hallmark problems with self-diagnosis is imagining a situation, taking it as fact, then spending countless hours and dollars going at it, just to find out it was never what you imagined it was. You'll save yourself a lot of unnecessary stress if you get some proper diagnostics done first.

I think we would all love to help, but right now this feels like throwing ideas at the wall hoping something will stick instead of following the evidence and excluding other, simpler possibilities first.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Guys on the PW forum have been bitchin' about that joint at 15,000 miles. I replaced my steering shaft with a Borgenson shaft.
Power Wagons for all we know may have less assist (meaning more wear on that joint) and much sharper angles on those joints (meaning the cross turns in the bushings a lot more).

To say because this vehicle has issues with them that others will to is reaching - quite a bit. Those joints have been used in Jeep vehicles for decades. And mostly without issue. Again, I've got steering parts, and have had Jeeps with that same design- and just shy of 130,000 miles and the steering was tight and without issue.

Right now everything is being done by tossing stuff at a wall to see what sticks. I see no troubleshooting being done at all, no testing, and when someone with real experience with steering in general, there's pushback. That shaft is too small, that u-joint is the problem (or could be) - well, simple enough to check but Jeeps have not had any of those issues at all.

I'd lay money on it not being that joint, that the square input shaft stub fits the intermediate shaft coupler fine - and that the intermediate shaft is fine.
The only caveat on the shaft being tight or loose - if a tech left that pinch bolt loose (or out!), that's another thing - but then that is not a shaft problem, that's human error and unrelated to design.

The design is sound, it's solid, as far as that portion of things. The issues have been from the steering gear on down (meaning all the way out to the ball joints)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
None of us know what the true problem is, but one of the hallmark problems with self-diagnosis is imagining a situation, taking it as fact, then spending countless hours and dollars going at it, just to find out it was never what you imagined it was. You'll save yourself a lot of unnecessary stress if you get some proper diagnostics done first.
No one bothers with basic troubleshooting- it's easier to speculate and/or blame what isn't understood. This would be so easy to figure out with just a few minutes time taken.
Further, if that "joint" or coupler were a poor fit, we'd have been hearing about it for years. It's fine.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
No one bothers with basic troubleshooting- it's easier to speculate and/or blame what isn't understood. This would be so easy to figure out with just a few minutes time taken.

Further, if that "joint" or coupler were a poor fit, we'd have been hearing about it for years. It's fine.
I brought up that joint because no one else has. When checking the steering. You have to look at everything. And everything is suspect until you can rule it out. That's why I mentioned it.

You have a good week. I'm getting ready to set sail. I'm on a cruise ship. Sailing out of Galveston.

OP
OP
Davesnothereman

Davesnothereman

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Liberty

Twisting the steering column while off, is it suppose to turn that much or at all?
Sponsored