Vehicle Showcase

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
So everybody that has one of these needs to ship them to eachother. Imagine if these dealers are monitoring them and all of a sudden these cars are popping up in random places around the country. I would say overseas would be better but im guessing the cell signal they use to upload the tracking wouldn't work.

Retro Bait

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 1917 Buick Tk
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Caterpillar technical communicator
Vehicle Showcase
I knew what it was from the first photo. I install these in my fleet vehicles.

I will tell you that anyone that has weird electrical gremlins it is a good thing to look for. I have had a few of these cause intermittant issues in vehicles. Affected the Ram trucks more than the Fords and the Rams are bothers to Jeep.

I suspect it corrupts the can bus at times

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
This type of post is why forums are so valuable. Decided to check mine today. Bought at Chapman Jeep Henderson. And I found a mysterious wire tapped into my OBD2 port black wire (red circle) and an unknown ground (yellow circle):
D4240C2B-6D8A-4B10-98EC-D8EF58B88F67.jpeg

following the wires to the wire channel right below....I found this:

FA43AB80-516F-4227-93BF-45B56A31EC05.jpeg

Then a little googl-fu discovered this.

I left the wires (since I can’t find electrical tape at the moment) and wrapped them up and stuffed them back in the panel and the spy device is now in my garage with other misc Gladiator pieces.

I prefer to leave FCA and Siris/XM be the keepers of my tracking data.....and....Apple whenever I use Apple Maps......and Google in the rare times I use Google Maps......and Waze whenever I use.....CRAP looks like everyone knows where I go already so I’m going to plug it back in. :CWL:
This is the web page for the SWAT tracking device installed by Chapman, once your user account is setup. I'll have to look through my paperwork and see what the setup process was, and if there was a charge listed for it on the sales contract.
https://www.karrrecovery.com/

Mine shows it is a three year paid plan with a three year replacement warranty.

Sponsored

bruno747

First Name
Bubba
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK 2 Door Rubicon Recon
Those of you who had it installed by the dealer without consent should start by checking it for a SIM card.

If it has one, you should swap it into another device and cost them some money. Start watching Netflix with it.

I'd love to get my hands on one and play MITM modifying the NMEA data. What!? Jeep was in the gulf of Mexico going 560mph at sea level? Then traveled to russia in 6 hours? Or plots spots on the US that spells out FU if you connect the breadcrumbs.

Seriously though. Lots of dealers doing this shady crap. Definitely needs a lawsuit to force dealers to disclose when they will be doing this and hacking your wiring up.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Those of you who had it installed by the dealer without consent should start by checking it for a SIM card.

If it has one, you should swap it into another device and cost them some money. Start watching Netflix with it.

I'd love to get my hands on one and play MITM modifying the NMEA data. What!? Jeep was in the gulf of Mexico going 560mph at sea level? Then traveled to russia in 6 hours? Or plots spots on the US that spells out FU if you connect the breadcrumbs.

Seriously though. Lots of dealers doing this shady crap. Definitely needs a lawsuit to force dealers to disclose when they will be doing this and hacking your wiring up.
Take the card out, leave the device in place and make them wonder next time it's in for service....
Screw out, cover off, slide the retainer to the middle of the device, it flips up (like many other card sockets), card lifts out.

This is the one I pulled from mine -

Jeep Gladiator What the heck is this mystery device? 20200801_113421_HDR

theSubdude

First Name
Johnnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator, BMW R1200 GS, Husqvarna 501
Occupation
Artist
I had one on a Glad purchased a few months ago from a large dealer with an even larger inventory. I removed it, photograph it, and asked what was and used for. She said, primary reason is to find the vehicle quickly on the lot. She also said it should have been removed before purchased.

BreakFixRepeat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Take the card out, leave the device in place and make them wonder next time it's in for service....
Screw out, cover off, slide the retainer to the middle of the device, it flips up (like many other card sockets), card lifts out.

This is the one I pulled from mine -

Jeep Gladiator What the heck is this mystery device? 20200801_113421_HDR
Hell thats a Verizon sim card aint it? Put that joker in your phone and see if you get signal!

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Hell thats a Verizon sim card aint it? Put that joker in your phone and see if you get signal!
I'll stick it in my tablet - I've not had connection to the cell service with the tablet for several months now, been using wi-fi. Might be fun to try!

Sponsored

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I had one on a Glad purchased a few months ago from a large dealer with an even larger inventory. I removed it, photograph it, and asked what was and used for. She said, primary reason is to find the vehicle quickly on the lot. She also said it should have been removed before purchased.
This dealer is large but I can walk their lot and find vehicles in minutes - hard to imagine GPS being so accurate you find it within feet. Especially when you have the key fob - just hit the horn button!

Dewyaw

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 2015 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock; 1987 Jeep Wrangler Laredo; 1988 Porsche 911, 2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro, 1994 Toyota Pickup 4x4. Not all at the same time.
Holy sh*t this is effed up!

Thanks for posting this...when I order mine I will tell them beforehand don’t install that crap.

Oh, and f*ck that guy who told you to not be paranoid.

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
This is a great thread. At first i was just going to get mine and use an app to send it to the wrong location, but using the sim card in another device is even better!

Mavrikk

First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon
This is crazy! I had to go straight home and check this out for myself after reading this thread.. Luckily there’s no contraption hooked up in my gladiator other than the Tazer mini!!

Shootist

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
For me it is the addendum annoyance and using a vamp tap on my otherwise perfect factory wiring harness. At least my dealership was up front that it was installed but the fact that they wanted to charge a 10X markup on a device I didn’t want in the first place is where I got a bit chapped. The device they installed on mine retails for $49 while the price they added to the addendum was $499. How is that for profit margin! But, most dealerships add them for inventory tracking and so they can allow the “here’s the keys” test drive. The buy here pay here lots use them for repossession purposes. Some sub prime lenders also require them installed for the same purpose. I do not fall into any of the aforementioned areas and prefer the dealerships to keep their dick beaters off my wiring harness.
Sponsored