First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Just waiting the the Rubicon owners to come in here, “see we told you Rubicons are superior!”
Why would we say that? We would love to start out with Mojave shocks. I'm hoping they build one which combines the best of both worlds- A Gladiator Ultimate Rubicon. It would have the best suspension/drivetrain pieces of all the Gladiators, with 4.56 or 4.88 gears like the JL XR. Maybe we will see that later this month (when the new Ranger is revealed)?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Clv22p

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Why would we say that? We would love to start out with Mojave shocks. I'm hoping they build one which combines the best of both worlds- A Gladiator Ultimate Rubicon. It would have the best suspension/drivetrain pieces of all the Gladiators, with 4.56 or 4.88 gears like the JL XR. Maybe we will see that later this month (when the new Ranger is revealed)?
It was mostly a joke with all the Mojave vs Rubicon threads here.

21Mojave@61

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Mojave, 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee,
Occupation
Construction Project Manager
I've got the same creaking noises in the rear of my Mojave. usually hear it at a cold start when i first start driving. I've been experiencing it for the last 2 months as its been getting colder. I thought it was bushings or rubber bed/body spacers this whole time. :facepalm:
It is definitely the Fox shocks. I have had two Mojave's and both had the same problem. I had the dealer replace the rear Fox shocks on the first and it fixed the problem. I don't know how long the fix would have lasted because I sold it and bought another (before I figured out the Fox shocks SUCK).
I am taking my 2021 Mojave in to have the rear shocks replaced and we will see. If this does not work I will probably remove the Fox shocks and replace them with another brand. There is no way the Fox shocks should be needing service at 2 to 3 thousand miles. That is when both Mojave's started making a grinding sound. Jeep is definitely aware of the problem. Frustrated! to say the least. If I trade again it will probably be a Rubicon.

21Mojave@61

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Mojave, 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee,
Occupation
Construction Project Manager
It is definitely the Fox shocks. I have had two Mojave's and both had the same problem. I had the dealer replace the rear Fox shocks on the first and it fixed the problem. I don't know how long the fix would have lasted because I sold it and bought another (before I figured out the Fox shocks SUCK).
I am taking my 2021 Mojave in to have the rear shocks replaced and we will see. If this does not work I will probably remove the Fox shocks and replace them with another brand. There is no way the Fox shocks should be needing service at 2 to 3 thousand miles. That is when both Mojave's started making a grinding sound. Jeep is definitely aware of the problem. Frustrated! to say the least. If I trade again it will probably be a Rubicon.

Sponsored

The White Rabbit

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Self Employed
Ok. I’ve been having this noise on my 21 Mojave and it’s driving me crazy. I took to one dealer and they said everything on the suspension was fine. Still having the noise and I’m taking to another dealer tomorrow. This is a video of what I’m hearing mostly in the rear. Video is from someone else having issues with fox shocks on Ford.
@KurtP what say you on this noise coming from all these Mojave's?
Thanks in advance, I know you’ll have the answer.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
@KurtP what say you on this noise coming from all these Mojave's?
Thanks in advance, I know you’ll have the answer.
I have not read the thread to see what people are saying, but a couple of post scan is noise from shocks?

that video sounds like the spring not the shock to me. If you’re getting noise during the suspension stroke, and your shocks aren’t leaking, i wouldnt assume its the shocks first. from what i am hearing in that video, it sounds like binding resonating through the spring material like an old bed or garage spring, or a truck leaf spring thats sticking a bit. It doesnt sound like a shock noise to me.

id check the conditions of ball joints, ALL bushings around the suspension, shock mount bushings, and lubricate the tightest parts of the coil springs where they may be binding or contacting. Id start by doing an inspection and spraying the spring seats top and bottom and the tight parts of the spring with a silicon lubricant and greasing/lubing bushings and joints. I got that noise on all my trucks in africa eventually, and just had to grease everything down.

if it is really coming from the shock itself, Id have to take it apart to understand why. Ive never heard that noise and resolved it by messing with the shocks.

The White Rabbit

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employed
I have not read the thread to see what people are saying, but a couple of post scan is noise from shocks?

that video sounds like the spring not the shock to me. If you’re getting noise during the suspension stroke, and your shocks aren’t leaking, i wouldnt assume its the shocks first. from what i am hearing in that video, it sounds like binding resonating through the spring material like an old bed or garage spring, or a truck leaf spring thats sticking a bit. It doesnt sound like a shock noise to me.

id check the conditions of ball joints, ALL bushings around the suspension, shock mount bushings, and lubricate the tightest parts of the coil springs where they may be binding or contacting. Id start by doing an inspection and spraying the spring seats top and bottom and the tight parts of the spring with a silicon lubricant and greasing/lubing bushings and joints. I got that noise on all my trucks in africa eventually, and just had to grease everything down.

if it is really coming from the shock itself, Id have to take it apart to understand why. Ive never heard that noise and resolved it by messing with the shocks.
My thoughts also but I’ve never run bypass shocks before. I was leaning towards linkage being a little dry or something dry that needs to be cleaned and lubricated. Cold weather exacerbates the noise, warm up and driving decreases the noise. In my experience.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
My thoughts also but I’ve never run bypass shocks before. I was leaning towards linkage being a little dry or something dry that needs to be cleaned and lubricated. Cold weather exacerbates the noise, warm up and driving decreases the noise. In my experience.
Agreed. and a bypass shock is still….. a shock….the noise coming through that video is resonance from materials rubbing together and send that sound through the spring. You can tell because the pitch of the sound changes as the length if the spring changes during compression and rebound.

again, my first inclination is that silicon spray or grease to the bushings at either end of the shock, spray on the spring seats/buckets, and go from there. The only thing i can think of inside the shock that would even possibly cause that would be if the piston bushing had stiction to the shock body and skipping down the tube, and that resonated through the spring. For that to be the case, id imagine the shock would have to be dry and id also expect it to be worse warm than cold. Youd also have uncontrolled rebound.

ive heard that noise so much so many places on so many types of trucks, mine would have to do it pretty consistently for me to hear. Ill keep a listen out and see if i hear anything like it. I just dont think it is an issue with the internals of a shock….if someone disassembles one and finds the issue, Id certainly be interested to see what it is. Until then, my money is on maintenance.

AZCooWhip

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Is it actually the shock making the noise? Stock suspension?

I get a similar noise sometimes from rear controls after really dusty off roading. Clean them up re-grease and no noise.

Sponsored

zfg530

First Name
Jeff Freeland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sr System Administrator
Just had my Mojave checked out today for same issue, passenger rear Fox shocks need replaced @ 10k. Parts @ $2000, not including labor...?? How?

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Ok. I’ve been having this noise on my 21 Mojave and it’s driving me crazy. I took to one dealer and they said everything on the suspension was fine. Still having the noise and I’m taking to another dealer tomorrow. This is a video of what I’m hearing mostly in the rear. Video is from someone else having issues with fox shocks on Ford.
My Rubi does that too. I guess I should take it to the dealer, but it doesn't do it all the time, so they won't be able to replicate.

Trollboogie

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2021 Mojave
Occupation
Machinist
Ok, after listening again, my nose isn't that bad. It is from the rear drivers side. I put some lithium grease on the piston shaft. Still have it, so not the dust seal.
Sponsored