First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave, Granite Crystal
Occupation
Corporate Tool
Ok, this is going to sound really stupid, but hear me out...

My couch was making that same damn noise earlier this week. Not as loud, but the same noise. Turns out it was where the springs themselves were routed through these narrow metal clips that hold them to the frame. And when my big ass sat in the seat, the springs expanded, and the ends in the clips spun against the metal clips, and CREEEEEEAK.

I don't know jack about vehicles, but... is it possible that it's the coil spring itself rubbing on something when it compresses?
Sponsored

hazards280

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Mojave, 19' Giulia, 64' Cobra
Add me to the list. 11k miles and I have a squeak coming from the shock on the left rear and right front.

I cleaned the shaft on all 4 and stay have the same noise passing through when hitting bumps at slow speeds. I can replicate the sound by rocking the Jeep, but canā€™t resolve the problem. Quite embarrassing when I pull up to get gas in a 65k dollar truck and sound like a gerbil.

The dealer has no interest in looking at it (same reason as mentioned above), and I donā€™t have the patience to deal with it. Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll be getting rid of the truck soon and going another route while trade in is still strong.

I love the truck beyond this, but I hate squeaks and the lack luster dealer support.

UPDATE: After reading through threads regrading Fox shocks on various forums, some people have had luck with silicone spray on the shafts. From the sounds of it, the gasket leading into the body of the shaft has very tight tolerances, and in cold, or dry climates can create a squeak. After applying the silicone spray, the noise has been resolved, but I am going to give it a few months before I say the issue is truly corrected.

Last edited:

Ray Howrad

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S w/ Tow Package
Same issue here. I put grease on the shock shaft and it went away. I was told by fox it should go away on its own but if not to send it to them to rebuild. Thankfully I live in SD so I can drop off and pick up in person
I had to do the silicone grease trick. Did yours stay quiet? Iā€™m in SD too.

jensjer

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM, Wrangler LJ
Occupation
PhotoAd
I don't have silicone grease.. only silicone lube, Is that the same?

Sponsored

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
2021 JTR, 47k kms. Mine was having this identical sound as OP since the beginning. Just thought things needed to seat themselves in and was patient. Iā€™d have to hit a particular bump in the road to hear it so I wasnā€™t running to the dealership. Meanwhile, and during my Olympic abilities to be patient, I needed air bags to firm up the bouncy ride we rubicons have and installed the Air Lift 1000 coil bags. That squawk went away and ride was firmer.

So all these months later, if the air bags arenā€™t at exactly 12 lbs air and fall below that, thereā€™s a bounce squawk at the back. Also, what is brand new is a ā€œpop/clickā€ noise in those areas. Yes, I had the loose lower ball joints found @ 7lbs, tightened to just over 50 something lbs(TSB notice I found on here) and checked torque values all around. Back was tight this time aroundā€¦all were loose when I checked it over when new.

This morning, went out and started another Olympic exercise and pushed the back of the truck (at the box above the back wheel) side to side, almost getting a wheel hop goingā€¦.all starts out quiet then POP SQUAWK SQUAWK SQUAWKā€¦ Iā€™d say shocks. Hate them anyway so Iā€™m picking on them.

Maccam26

First Name
Marc-Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
I've got the same creaking noises in the rear of my Mojave. usually hear it at a cold start when i first start driving. I've been experiencing it for the last 2 months as its been getting colder. I thought it was bushings or rubber bed/body spacers this whole time. :facepalm:
Same exactly thought bushings.. will try spraying silicone on shock shaft a bit

PW45

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
Dad, Veteran, Electrical Engineer
how easy is it to remove the shaft shrouds so I can lube up my shafts too? I too have the squeak intermittently and just figured it was part of my total jeep experience.

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
how easy is it to remove the shaft shrouds so I can lube up my shafts too? I too have the squeak intermittently and just figured it was part of my total jeep experience.
A little tedious, but not bad.

Sponsored

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
I may redo mine tomorrow and try the Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions that I use on the finishes. That stuff is slicker than seagull shit.

Skull

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
Occupation
Aircraft Technician
Shocks are very noisy below 45 deg. No noise above that temp or driving in rain. It seems crazy to have to remove dust shields to lube shafts which appears the shocks have to be removed.

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
It's fairly easy, and you do not have to remove the shocks.

I wrap a small towel around the shock body, take out the screws, and then raise the shroud up. The towel keeps you from scratching the shock body and also holds the shroud up. The screws aren't too bad, just a little bit of a PITA. One of my screws was actually cross-threaded from the factory. Luckily they didn't drive it in all the way, so I was able to clean up the threads and get the screw back in correctly.

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB

Maccam26

First Name
Marc-Andre
Threads
Reaction score