www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Curious what the general consensus is for when longer brake lines are needed

also curious if there is a special brake bleeding process or if it is the same as 20 years ago. Thought I read elsewhere that there was a special bleed process but that could have been associated with flushing the whole system.
Sponsored

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Curious what the general consensus is for when longer brake lines are needed

also curious if there is a special brake bleeding process or if it is the same as 20 years ago. Thought I read elsewhere that there was a special bleed process but that could have been associated with flushing the whole system.
I believe a 2 or 2 1/2 inch lift will be your max lift before needing to have longer hoses and possibly extensions for your ABS and lockers while still using stock mounting points. But an easy way to check would be to disconnect the sway bar and jack from the frame and see if you still have any slack.

fourfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD + ACCC
Build Thread
Link
Generic answer for modern cars: the anti-lock brake controller has fluid inside that doesn't get flushed with the normal process. A dealer (or shop with special machines to control the ABS module) can flush while cycling the ABS valves to flush out that stuff too.

How important is it to flush out the ABS module, don't really know. To my eye the fluid in the calipers gets the muckiest, the fluid way up in the lines less so.

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
I believe a 2 or 2 1/2 inch lift will be your max lift before needing to have longer hoses and possibly extensions for your ABS and lockers while still using stock mounting points. But an easy way to check would be to disconnect the sway bar and jack from the frame and see if you still have any slack.
ok. I can try that. I never heard of needing to extend the locker harness though…. What does that involve? Lift I am going for does not specify needs for line extensions but I am suspecting it will be needed in reality.

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
ok. I can try that. I never heard of needing to extend the locker harness though…. What does that involve? Lift I am going for does not specify needs for line extensions but I am suspecting it will be needed in reality.
If you need there are a few brands being sold out there by Northridge, 4 Wheel Parts and a few others. Just a matter of how high you plan to lift, since it is not just the lift you are considering but how far your wheels and axle are going to drop when in the air.

Sponsored

Lost1wing

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AMT
I suppose if you depress and block the brake pedal before opening the system, you could get away with not bleeding the ABS. Most of the brake fluid should remain in the line. This however is a good time to flush the system since it will be opened.

Northridge4x4

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.northridge4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Sahara JKU, 2013 Rubicon JKU
Occupation
Seller of badassery
You don't need locker harness extensions even with a 4.5" lift.

You will need to extend the axle vent lines.

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
You don't need locker harness extensions even with a 4.5" lift.

You will need to extend the axle vent lines.
Do you offer the proper hose size/type on your site?

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Do you offer the proper hose size/type on your site?
Sorry, we don't have them listed on our website.

In the shop and studio we use 5/16" fuel line and a 5/16" Edelman plastic coupler. We have the fuel line in a bulk roll and cut it to an inch or so over our lift height. Lift it 4", use a 5" piece.

You typically don't need an extension for a 2" lift or lower.

Jeep Gladiator When brake lines needed and bleeding process Vent-Extension

If you didn't want to use an extension, you could just pull the whole vent line and replace the whole thing a little longer than your lift.
Sponsored