Sponsored

When will order banks open for Gladiator Diesel?

When will order banks open for JT Ecodiesel?

• Total voters

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
That Jeep also has max tow type flares that are color matched And the overland steps. Judging by the all clear tailights it has, I’d say its most likely a build being tested for export, probably to Australia. Mojave’s won’t have steps, the steel bumper or max tow flares
The spy shot also shows a 'Trail Rated' badge instead of a 'Desert Rated' badge. Since it was a test mule, we can only make assumptions, but you could be right. There was one intriguing thought that came to mind. At first, I thought this could be a sign that every diesel Gladiator would get the Mojave styled hood due to its ability to cool. But then I read that a Jeep engineer said the hood vent, at least on the Mojave, was closed off from the factory.
Sponsored

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
I’d expect the 2028 gladiator to change along with the JL.
FULL ELECTRIC option at that point and I’d be surprised if the diesel makes it to second gen
The 2028 - 2030 timeframe seems likely for a new generation change. I agree that a full electric option will be available. Due to popularity and overall efficiency, I think the diesel is here to stay. The latest rumor floating around is that the new 2022 Grand Wagoneer will get the EcoDiesel option, that's assuming that COVID-19 doesn't delay its release.

As someone who follows diesel closely, I can tell you that there's a lot of enthusiasm for the future of diesel. FCA has said on a few occasions that they are working on diesel-hybrid technology.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2017 JKU, 2022 JTRD ordered.
The fact that the Jeep VP reaffirmed the “calendar year 2020“ promise For the release of the diesel when they did that video chat deal a few weeks back was reassuring for me, as that was a post-COVID comment. That said, I tend to agree it will be late in the year and a 2021 year model (which is probably better). I just hope we get the upgraded UConnect, but it sounds like the JL/JT are not near the head of the line for this upgrade.
I hope the 2021 MY has the Mojave reinforced frame throughout the lineup.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I went with after May 1st.

My thinking:

They FINALLY started to deliver JL EcoDiesels and then stopped production again for "unspecified" reasons. I'm sure they'll want to get JL EcoDiesel production up and running to expected capacity before they do anything for JT, and at this point that isn't looking likely to happen soon.

Secondly, they didn't mention anything about offering EcoDiesel on JT during THIS model year. I expect it to be a 2021 option.

So, I'm thinking that we'll see JT EcoDiesels during Q4 of 2020, likely as 2021 models.
Almost five months later, it still looks the same to me.

The 2028 - 2030 timeframe seems likely for a new generation change. I agree that a full electric option will be available. Due to popularity and overall efficiency, I think the diesel is here to stay. The latest rumor floating around is that the new 2022 Grand Wagoneer will get the EcoDiesel option, that's assuming that COVID-19 doesn't delay its release.

As someone who follows diesel closely, I can tell you that there's a lot of enthusiasm for the future of diesel. FCA has said on a few occasions that they are working on diesel-hybrid technology.
I honestly wonder if Gladiator will be around in ten more years. I'd say the odds between a brand new Gladiator in ten years or no Gladiator in ten years are about 50/50 right now.

But, yes, diesel-electric is what they should have been working on all along. Can you imagine the range if they built an electric Jeep and then ONLY used the small diesel engine to charge the batteries on the fly when they became discharged? That would be crazy.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
I honestly wonder if Gladiator will be around in ten more years. I'd say the odds between a brand new Gladiator in ten years or no Gladiator in ten years are about 50/50 right now.
It's a good question. I think the Gladiator will be here to stay. More and more people are buying mid-sized trucks.

But, yes, diesel-electric is what they should have been working on all along. Can you imagine the range if they built an electric Jeep and then ONLY used the small diesel engine to charge the batteries on the fly when they became discharged? That would be crazy.
It's going to be huge!

Sponsored

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Can you imagine the range if they built an electric Jeep and then ONLY used the small diesel engine to charge the batteries on the fly when they became discharged? That would be crazy.
Crazy and not very feasible. The diesel would have to have much bigger power output that the electric motor(s), if it is to charge batteries intermittently.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
FCA said the Warren plant shutdown "will extend through the end of September as retooling continues for the launch of the Jeep Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer." What does this have to do with the Gladiator EcoDiesel? Well, not much, however, it's been rumored that the 2021 Wagoneer will have the optional EcoDiesel. After all, the Wagoneer is built on the Ram 1500 frame.

I'm still confident that you'll be able to order a 2021 Gladiator EcoDiesel here pretty soon.

On a side note, Today I went to a Jeep and Ram dealer north of me near the New Mexico/Colorado border. I couldn't believe how low they were on inventory. I talked to one of the managers who said they are just now starting to see shipments come in.

Interesting times for sure.

IamWardicus

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently Driving: Sport S Max Tow Gladiator in Sting-Gray
Occupation
Management in a retail setting
Today. The answer is today. :clap:

WMWHV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1947 Willys CJ2A
Build Thread
Link
Yes. My dealer just sent me an email and said he can order me one today. 2021 Gladiator Diesel. Headed to the website now to build it.

WMWHV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
My only disappointments are that I can‘t get the diesel Rubicon with the new rock trac full time four wheel drive and that it does not have UConnect 5. Oh well. It looks like I can get everything else. Tomorrow was supposed to be annual detailing day for the LJ, but now I have another Jeep to order. Maybe I can do both.

Sponsored

Karnaj

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Town & Country, 2002 Camry, 2003 Grand Am, 2021 Deisel JTR.
Occupation
Union Electrician
Maybe I'm just an idiot, wouldn't be the first time, but I'm not seeing the diesel option on the build tool on the JEEP page.

Matt84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Maybe I'm just an idiot, wouldn't be the first time, but I'm not seeing the diesel option on the build tool on the JEEP page.
It’s not on the build tool yet but the diesel option is showing on the build sheet posted for this month for the 2021 model. Jeep build page will likely show it in the next few days to a week.

Karnaj

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Town & Country, 2002 Camry, 2003 Grand Am, 2021 Deisel JTR.
Occupation
Union Electrician
It’s not on the build tool yet but the diesel option is showing on the build sheet posted for this month for the 2021 model. Jeep build page will likely show it in the next few days to a week.
Awesome. Thanks for the clarification, after years of waiting I thought I had finally lost my mind.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
So have they posted any information yet about the towing capacity and payload numbers on the diesel model?

WMWHV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
The only number I see on the build sheet is the GVW Rating, which is 6350 for the Sport and Overland and 6450 for the Rubicon. I ordered mine this morning and the dealer thinks we will have a VIN next week. He says that since it is a "sold" order and they are a high volume dealership, mine should be built quicker than some. We will have to see. The only glitch in the system was that when we added the dual top group, it forced him to add a tonneau cover. He tried a couple of times to order it without a tonneau (I want a BAK Revolver) and it would not let him do it, so he threw in the roll up tonneau for free so that we could get the order submitted and said he would take it off if I don't want it.
Sponsored