Sponsored

Where do you stand on a citizens use of deadly force?

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
In these situations, what are you thoughts on the use of deadly force by a regular citizen, property owner or concerned citizen:

-A mob is going through a neighborhood burning vehicles throwing rocks through homes windows, setting fire to property. As a homeowner, do you try to vacate your property or use deadly force potentially to protect your family and property? What is you trigger to take another person's life?

-A mob is going through the city burning businesses, robbing stores and destroying properties. Do you use lethal force to protect your property or do you vacate the premises and let insurance do its thing?

I think it's something you should ponder especially if you own firearms for personal protection. Know your states laws and make sure their laws are compatible with your family's values.
This applies to us in CA as my understanding of the law learned in CCW classes over the past 15 years.....I'm not an attorney.

In your first scenario........We aren't legally allowed to protect our property so I wouldn't attempt to do so. Assuming you stayed and there was a direct threat to your own or family's life, you could act at that point. Not sure if I would bail or stay. As we have seen in the recent past.....Depending on your location, it would be likely you would be charged with murder for defending yourself anyway.

Second scenario.....I'm a business owner but know we can't protect our property legally.....Add insult to injury, a mob of 100 people or more is considered a terror act and the insurance does not cover it. That is a separate policy. Is the 100 person number for the entire nation? Maybe just the specific location of the incident? Not spelled out. For example.....If BLM claims responsibility for the attack and they have more than 100 people world wide working for them, is this local incident considered a terrorist act?

I have my own thoughts about what should be done with the people who cause these problems, but I feel it borders on political discussion, so I won't expand on it.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I will not get into the debate of the when and where it is justified but the best advice I have ever been given on the subject is if you have to do the deed, make sure you are the only one standing alive and it is only your story of the events being heard.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lateralus

Lateralus

Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I will not get into the debate of the when and where it is justified but the best advise I have ever been given on the subject is if you have to do the deed, make sure you are the only one standing alive and it is only your story of the events being heard.
Thats assuming the news will present the facts of your situation. They could paint you as a monster and influence your case to get you convicted. On the other hand, a jury might look at the facts of your case and find you innocent, while the news painted you as a villain. This in turn could spark riots and violence and even lead to deaths. Even once acquitted, you could have a bounty on your head for the rest of your life based on a character the media portrayed you as.

Pescatoral Pursuit

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 F-150, ‘15 CTS, ‘21 JT Urban Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Plumba
Every citizen has the constitutional right to keep and bear arms. I support that 100%. But I do think that in current society there is a need to properly train people on how to handle them, how to use them, and WHEN to use them from a legal aspect. Unfortunately, the NRA stepped in and helped take things in the opposite direction, so now you don't need training for ANY form of carrying a firearm. I really lost a lot of respect for the NRA over that.
Ever heard of the "Eddie Eagle" program? Created and promoted by the NRA to teach gun safety to school kids. A program that was drubbed out of schools by liberals because its existence legitimized gun ownership, and the price of dead kids was worth delegitimizing that.

"Needing" training and requiring it for a supposed constitutional right are different.

Of all the players, why would you blame the NRA when all they've ever done is preach gun safety?

Sponsored

KC_H

First Name
KC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Ever heard of the "Eddie Eagle" program? Created and promoted by the NRA to teach gun safety to school kids. A program that was drubbed out of schools by liberals because its existence legitimized gun ownership, and the price of dead kids was worth delegitimizing that.

"Needing" training and requiring it for a supposed constitutional right are different.

Of all the players, why would you blame the NRA when all they've ever done is preach gun safety?
I think you will find with some cursory research that the NRA lost their way years ago... They don't get one moment of my time nor one thin dime of my money...

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
The NRA is not the NRA of old. While they still believe in education and safety they have become a special interest politicized lobby organization.

I am still a member (damned lifetime memberships) but I am also a member of Gun Owners of America (GOA) and which is where I believe the old NRA standards have landed.

Radio Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Broadcast Engineer
Having a few friends who had to use deadly force, I can say shooting someone is one of the last things you ever want to do. In my friends case it was justified but that didn't stop the temporary incarceration and very expensive legal representation, then the family of the deceased trying to sue for whatever is left.

Otherwise I'm all for defending one's life and your families lives when justified and sort out the legal problems later, at least you would be alive to do so. Just try everything humanly possible to avoid things escalating to the point of no return.

Many times the presence of a firearm will deter an intruder or attacker but sometimes not. What will you do when some big but unarmed thugs approach you and you produce your firearm and the thugs say "wadda ya think your gonna do with that?" and keep on coming.?

It could have been possible to bow out or run but now that you showed off your firearm they will possibly try to take it away from you. Shoot them and its not going to look good in court when they find no weapons on the fine outstanding gentlemen you killed. In this case drawing a gun caused you to spend time in prison and you lost your house in a lawsuit from the survivors, etc.

Practice practice practice with your gun but also practice and learn the legal ramifications of using it.

KC_H

First Name
KC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Having a few friends who had to use deadly force, I can say shooting someone is one of the last things you ever want to do. In my friends case it was justified but that didn't stop the temporary incarceration and very expensive legal representation, then the family of the deceased trying to sue for whatever is left.

Otherwise I'm all for defending one's life and your families lives when justified and sort out the legal problems later, at least you would be alive to do so. Just try everything humanly possible to avoid things escalating to the point of no return.

Many times the presence of a firearm will deter an intruder or attacker but sometimes not. What will you do when some big but unarmed thugs approach you and you produce your firearm and the thugs say "wadda ya think your gonna do with that?" and keep on coming.?

It could have been possible to bow out or run but now that you showed off your firearm they will possibly try to take it away from you. Shoot them and its not going to look good in court when they find no weapons on the fine outstanding gentlemen you killed. In this case drawing a gun caused you to spend time in prison and you lost your house in a lawsuit from the survivors, etc.

Practice practice practice with your gun but also practice and learn the legal ramifications of using it.
The most important self defense concept that I taught in martial arts classes was to RUN!!! And as Richard Pryor said "teach your ole lady to run so you don't have to go back and get her ass"

Pescatoral Pursuit

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 F-150, ‘15 CTS, ‘21 JT Urban Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Plumba
I think you will find with some cursory research that the NRA lost their way years ago... They don't get one moment of my time nor one thin dime of my money...
I'm no fan of the NRA as it currently sits but that doesn't mean I'm going to blame them for what they did not do.

Sponsored

KC_H

First Name
KC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I'm no fan of the NRA as it currently sits but that doesn't mean I'm going to blame them for what they did not do.
Like I said, just some cursory research will be eye opening for you...

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
NRA can go f*ck themselves. They have been living off the doom and gloom monsters at the door fund raising mantra for the last 30+ years all the while blowing tons of money on executive officer wild spending and wasting tons more money on swag gifts that amount to trinkets to get more fund raising done.

Back in the early 2000's, they NRA was taking my WWII vet grandfather for a pretty serious ride extorting money out of him to the point I had to engage a lawyer to intervene and threaten civil legal action against the NRA to back off.

For many years up until the late 1990's and early 2000's, the NRA only cared about the over/under trap shooting and FUDD rifle crowd and was will to sell the Modern Sporting Rifle and NFA crowd down the river. Not until they realize the dynamic shift of the modern gun buyer and aging out of the old timers, did they change their tune but that was only to keep the fund raising levels up.

NRA needs to have a serious leadership flush and reset before they will get any of my money again.

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
John Lovell of Warrior Poet Society puts it succinctly: Don't put yourself in stupid situations with stupid people who make stupid decisions.

The recent "self-defense" shooting in Texas with the dad who wanted his visitation rights is a check list of "let's do everything wrong."

Deadly force, imo, is the last resort. It's not a deterrent, it's not a threat posture, and it sure doesn't deescalate any situation.

Radio Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Broadcast Engineer
The ability to produce a firearm at just the right moment can stop an attack or crime without firing a shot and its estimated this happens many more times than someone shooting an attacker or criminal. It just never gets reported in the media so we never really know how effective it is.

The problem with that is if you produce a firearm when someone is about to attack you must be willing and able to use it for deadly force if necessary. Otherwise the attacker can literally take the gun away from you and if he wasn't armed he is now.

It takes a lot of training to properly handle and draw a firearm, shoot accurately and also understand laws that go along with use and ownership. Lots of people out there have guns but no training and in some cases, no brains.

I hope to never use a firearm for self defense, but I would rather have the option of doing so over being surprised by an attack and have no way to defend myself or my family. I also hope that right is never taken away from us.

MyRight

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Freedom, 2003 Grand Cherokee Laredo
The NRA is not the NRA of old. While they still believe in education and safety they have become a special interest politicized lobby organization.

I am still a member (damned lifetime memberships) but I am also a member of Gun Owners of America (GOA) and which is where I believe the old NRA standards have landed.
True...
The NRA has had an inconsistent position on the Second Amendment for some time. They lobbied for tighter restrictions in the '60's when racial tensions were growing with the Black Panther's advocating gun rights. That wouldn't be the last time they betrayed the American people.
They have and never will get any funds from me.
Sponsored