Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Flour? Dumping it on the filter?
Well, he tried. But it's not really an ISO test and about all it can do is show what is the worst.

He missed the boat totally on the 0-60 testing. Simply opening the hood and changing the filter changes things. I've spent my share of time in the pits at the drags races in September each year. I watched a guy shave a couple of tenths off his time by simply opening the hood for a few minutes and taking another run. Heat soak.
Only a dyno test would be anywhere near accurate but again - he at least tried.

Now I know where people were seeing the "flour test" when they commented on filter tests.

In any case, it's a given that K&N filters are not good for filtering the flour out of your engine.
At least it wasn't the ones where someone put a white cloth in the tube and checked for dirt that way. That was a real hoot.
Sponsored

MrFahrenheit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FC Red Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I'll never let a K&N touch my cars...................

Scientific dyno tests in a closed room:

total-dirt-passed.png

ISO5011-efficiency.jpg

They not only pass more dirt, they reach capacity faster (and become more restrictive)

ISO5011_accumulative-capacity.jpg
Is there more context to these? Just becomes something filters a ton of stuff out doesn't mean it's better. The only way (I know of) to filter out more things is to have smaller openings which would mean more restriction requiring more surface area to provide adequate airflow.

It's like people buying the highest MERV rating for the furnace filters and just starving the furnace for air because the filter is so restrictive.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver