Where will you attach a CB antenna?

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
I know this isn't specifically about installation, but I'm wondering what is the best or safest for me and my family when we are going on trips? CB, Ham, or some sort of satellite device like a garmin or something? If you get a garmin satellite communicator, then you don't need to install anything right?

Magnus Rudis

First Name
Magnus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition Ordered; 2015 Silver Rubicon JKU
I know this isn't specifically about installation, but I'm wondering what is the best or safest for me and my family when we are going on trips? CB, Ham, or some sort of satellite device like a garmin or something? If you get a garmin satellite communicator, then you don't need to install anything right?
I think the best bet is really a voyage plan and time line you leave with a trusted friend. It doesn't run out of batteries and sets a time for people to start looking for you.

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think the best bet is really a voyage plan and time line you leave with a trusted friend. It doesn't run out of batteries and sets a time for people to start looking for you.
That sounds great but I have a kid now so I have no more friends

Magnus Rudis

First Name
Magnus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition Ordered; 2015 Silver Rubicon JKU
Now that is an awesome response. If you want I'll be your friend. My kids are grown and moved out. Can't think of anything more fun than rescuing a fellow Gladiator owner. If your wanting a panic button "Come get me and my Kids" I suggest an EPIRB. https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/personal-locator-beacons.html
But between CB, or Ham I'd probably go ham since since it is monitored by more people for greater distances.

Sponsored

attworth

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜00 LR Disco II, ā€˜17 Toyota Sienna
Prior plan given to trusted friends or family is a good idea.

Garmin inReach is a great tool if you donā€™t mind paying a monthly fee. Spot is another option.

Ham is good for reaching long distances and thereā€™s databases of repeaters in nearly any location youā€™re looking to go. The community is generally really helpful, and if you key up with some good coordinates on a busy repeater, Iā€™d be willing to bet theyā€™d send some help one way or another. Thereā€™s also digital modes where you can reach across the country by hitting a repeater connected to the internet, send data packets, GPS coords., etc. Ham has so many uses, options and is pretty constantly evolving. Just have to be willing to get through the learning curves.

CB is still somewhat relevant, both for communicating in your group rides, and also for reaching folks, especially if youā€™re near enough a highway.

GMRS is picking up popularity as well, but probably not your best option in an emergency with limited range and users.

Ideally youā€™d want to have more than one option. If you can self recover but might need help, hitting the Button on a satellite transponder could be potentially very costly. But if you really need help, especially with a family, I wouldnā€™t want to just rely on short range radio comms.

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Now that is an awesome response. If you want I'll be your friend. My kids are grown and moved out. Can't think of anything more fun than rescuing a fellow Gladiator owner. If your wanting a panic button "Come get me and my Kids" I suggest an EPIRB. https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/personal-locator-beacons.html
But between CB, or Ham I'd probably go ham since since it is monitored by more people for greater distances.
Thanks man! I appreciate it! Next 20% off at REI im getting that.

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prior plan given to trusted friends or family is a good idea.

Garmin inReach is a great tool if you donā€™t mind paying a monthly fee. Spot is another option.

Ham is good for reaching long distances and thereā€™s databases of repeaters in nearly any location youā€™re looking to go. The community is generally really helpful, and if you key up with some good coordinates on a busy repeater, Iā€™d be willing to bet theyā€™d send some help one way or another. Thereā€™s also digital modes where you can reach across the country by hitting a repeater connected to the internet, send data packets, GPS coords., etc. Ham has so many uses, options and is pretty constantly evolving. Just have to be willing to get through the learning curves.

CB is still somewhat relevant, both for communicating in your group rides, and also for reaching folks, especially if youā€™re near enough a highway.

GMRS is picking up popularity as well, but probably not your best option in an emergency with limited range and users.

Ideally youā€™d want to have more than one option. If you can self recover but might need help, hitting the Button on a satellite transponder could be potentially very costly. But if you really need help, especially with a family, I wouldnā€™t want to just rely on short range radio comms.
Good stuff! Thank you!

talondoc

First Name
TalonDoc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Good stuff! Thank you!
Take a look at the pics. I used the factory drilled holes on the inside of the bed. I used a piece of flat aluminum from Lowes and bent/drilled it to fit. Antenna wire is run under cab and comes up through a factory hole in the floor in front of driver's side rear seat. No drill and no fuss.

IMG_2248.JPG

IMG_2277.JPG

IMG_2278.JPG

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
What do you have behind your bracket ? Looks like rubber ? You need a good ground for it to work well. Is that a no ground plane antenna

Sponsored

talondoc

First Name
TalonDoc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
What do you have behind your bracket ? Looks like rubber ? You need a good ground for it to work well. Is that a no ground plane antenna
The metal screw to the bed provides the grounding.

This is a no ground plane antenna. Jeeps just don't have enough metal for ground plane antennae.

It works well. I've been talking to hams via our local repeater 7 miles away.

SgtMajTomahawk

First Name
Lawren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
If you are installing one for trail.riding purposes, most people have switched to a multi channel handheld radio. Better performance and less to jnstall/tune.
Not true. It depends on where you are. In the South CBs are still used more than any other in groups in the woods. They are simple and don't require a license. GMRS is the next step up, but requires a $70 license for the whole family and then HAM above that. Problem with all this new tech is if you are in an area or in groups that don't have all the fancy radios you won't have anyone to talk to and will still need a CB if you want to communicate.

DaveFrat

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Driver
Take a look at the pics. I used the factory drilled holes on the inside of the bed. I used a piece of flat aluminum from Lowes and bent/drilled it to fit. Antenna wire is run under cab and comes up through a factory hole in the floor in front of driver's side rear seat. No drill and no fuss.

Jeep Gladiator Where will you attach a CB antenna? IMG_2278.JPG

Where did you pick up that antenna? Looking to do this exact thing. Thank you
Sponsored