Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator rubicon
Occupation
Custom woodworking shop
Vehicle Showcase
After giving up on my 2021 Bronco reservation, I decided to get a Gladiator instead.

Had a hard time finding any with just the soft top. Or even dual tops. New or used.

Checked into aftermarket tops new or used and was shocked at the prices. Over $1000. So that was not really an option.

Did finally find one in MI and my dealer did a dealer trade. That dealer in MI had 2 and my dealer had one base sport manual with a soft top. That was closest i found without going to texas.

So my question is, why are softtops so rare on the JT, but significantly more popular on the JL and JK?

The tops have greatly improved since the CJ and YJ days. And the JT doesnt have the side windows to deal with. So much more convenient to use then on the JL.
If you get a soft top make sure it is the premium soft top. I love mine and find it ultra convienient to whip it back and enjoy the air. You can also take the whole thing off with 4 screws and stow it in the back if you don't like the man bun look, I don't mind. It's the only convertible truck on the market now so why not use it as intended. Isn't that what you paid for.
Good luck hunting, you may have to go towards warmer areas to find it.

JT-Gdad

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired
Not sure why there are fewer soft tops than hard tops on the dealer lots, but I much prefer the soft top.

I planned to order my Overland with the dual top option, but when the factory shut down in early April 2020 decided to shop existing dealer inventory. Found one very close to what I wanted but with hard top only. Purchased in April but pretty quickly decided removing/replacing the hardtop was too much work to be able to enjoy open-air driving. Ordered the premium twill Mopar soft-top from BAM, installed on July 1, and haven't regretted it for a single moment. To me it is not noisy at all, and so much easier than dealing with the hardtop. Currently don't have plans to swap to the hardtop for the winter, as I've had no issues so far with winter is almost half over where I live.

snide

First Name
Big Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator
Had a '13 JKU with the hard top. The Freedom Panels were a nuisance to take off and put back on. Never did take the hard top off, although I wanted a "convertible". When I got my JT, I had to get the soft top. I'm glad that I did, because getting fresh air is now so much easier. When I took delivery, I had removed the 3 rear panels and threw the top back before I left the stealership! Much more fun to drive!

Now that it is winter, the cabin seems to heat up quicker than the JKU, the cabin of which never seemed to get warm in the winter. I'm often driving with a window cracked because it's so warm in the cabin with the just the defroster on low, and the temperature set to 68. The heated seats and steering wheel would have been nice, but so far, i haven't actually needed those features.

Sponsored

TheGerman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
Occupation
IT
Jeep Gladiator Who Has Just The Soft Top???? E1AE099B-E7AE-4FFA-BF9A-21C3B123118C

Premium soft top only. As it was a custom order anyway to get the diesel I got it with the soft top. Absolutely no regrets!

Had the dual tops on the JKU and was driving 90% of the year with the soft top, and it was a pain in neck to store the sunrider hard top in the garage, plus it was always leaking on the driver side.

mtudb24

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Vehicle Showcase

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Does the JT soft top not come with Velcro straps to keep things tightly closed? My JKU did.
Surprisingly not for that purpose. They are supposed to go over the bars for some reason. Also came with some strange straps to help roll up the rear window even though everything I have seen says don't do that.

OP
OP

CinciAv

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2004 Rubicon, 1972 CJ6
The rear window straps came with my JLU. It was not able to roll up either. Must if been a huge buy in the JK days and they just keep shipping them out?????

Hey jeep, cost savings for ya!!!!!

Sponsored

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
The rear window straps came with my JLU. It was not able to roll up either. Must if been a huge buy in the JK days and they just keep shipping them out?????

Hey jeep, cost savings for ya!!!!!
I feel like they are a trick to get people to buy replacement rear windows after they get mangled from being stored like that, lol. I lost one of them before I figured out what it was for.

RumRunner

First Name
Jimi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
professional beer drinker
it would be nice to have the soft top fold all the way down, but this doesn't bother me. Mine came with the premium soft top and the wife loves it. She had a sebring convertible years ago and misses it. We're looking forward to it getting warmer and being able to run this thing wide open.
Jeep Gladiator Who Has Just The Soft Top???? 20210114_140942

Indavis01

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2016 Volvo Xc90 Polestar
Occupation
Finder of bad stuff and people.
Vehicle Showcase
The supplied velcro straps work really well. At around 70 mph I noticed the top begin to catch air and puff out and up a bit (like a parachute). Now if im going anywhere and I know i'll be around 70 or above- I throw those things on as far back as they will go on the frame and lock that sucker down.

If you're wondering- we have a lot of roads (not even freeways) here in TX where the speed limit is at least 70 and some freeways up to 85 (hwy 130).

Surprisingly not for that purpose. They are supposed to go over the bars for some reason. Also came with some strange straps to help roll up the rear window even though everything I have seen says don't do that.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
The supplied velcro straps work really well. At around 70 mph I noticed the top begin to catch air and puff out and up a bit (like a parachute). Now if im going anywhere and I know i'll be around 70 or above- I throw those things on as far back as they will go on the frame and lock that sucker down.

If you're wondering- we have a lot of roads (not even freeways) here in TX where the speed limit is at least 70 and some freeways up to 85 (hwy 130).

Good to know. I don't think I have taken my JT over 70 in a long time due to covid, still hit 65 on some faster roads though. I will need to find those things since this summer looks like it might be a little better.

Bitching

First Name
Dude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Willy’s
Occupation
Logistics
Enjoying the soft top, drop and go or just just slide out the back window.
Have had several convertible cars. Recently had Recently traded in JL soft top for the Gladiator. With the JL when tailgate is locked, the back window cannot come out. With the Gladiator, unable to find a way to secure the back window which can be easily removed from the outside.
Sponsored