Sponsored

Who hasn't removed their door bolts yet, and why?

Spcbl1

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Mojave, 1997 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
Occupation
IT Director
Lol...well, my wording was not accurate. Here's the actual bulletin:

Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 6.29.16 PM.png

Such a dumb nanny-state rule. :mad::headbang:
This reads to me like you could run a set of tube doors with mirrors and still be within the letter of the law. The "door" would be "Properly attached" with "Hinge, Latch, and Handle" and "Driver Side rear view mirror affixed". I doesnt say that the doors affixed must the Original equipment, just that if the vehicle had doors as original equipment it must have doors that meet a specification.

Like these...
https://www.amazon.com/EAG-2018-201...1&keywords=jl+tube+door&qid=1606323008&sr=8-6
Sponsored

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I've got to say that I wasn't ever planning to take the doors off, but then I had to do it at least once just to say I did. My wife and I took it for a spin around Lake James doorless and had a great time. It was a lot of fun, seriously. I won't make a habit of it because of all the rain we have here, but for a sunny summer day on the Blue Ridge Parkway or a day driving on the beach, that's good stuff. I've replaced the bolts with some rounded end chrome pegs that were shown here a while back on the forum in a different thread. No removal necessary, just open the door and pull it off without any wrenching.

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
This reads to me like you could run a set of tube doors with mirrors and still be within the letter of the law. The "door" would be "Properly attached" with "Hinge, Latch, and Handle" and "Driver Side rear view mirror affixed". I doesnt say that the doors affixed must the Original equipment, just that if the vehicle had doors as original equipment it must have doors that meet a specification.

Like these...
https://www.amazon.com/EAG-2018-201...1&keywords=jl+tube+door&qid=1606323008&sr=8-6
I've thought the same thing, but I believe the intent is "if it comes with doors, they must be installed". I'm sure I (or a lawyer) could get me out of a ticket if I wanted to dispute it, but I doubt it would prevent getting one.

That's why I'm happy you can get half doors when ordering for the factory (at least for the JL, but I'm hoping you can when ordering the JT). If OEM, it might avoid a ticket in the first place. Might.

WaterDR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Really? FANTASTIC!
Quick, point me toward the one that has solid axles, factory lockers rear and front, and can fit 35" tires without any mods.

I'll wait...

Sheesh... People who think the main reason to buy a Wrangler/JT is "removable doors"... :CWL:
Yea well, most don’t have lockers.....

WaterDR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone who buys a wrangler platform and either doesn’t know how or has no plans to remove doors/top, please leave this forum. You are an embarrassment.

Sponsored

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT shopping
Occupation
Technology
Anyone who buys a wrangler platform and either doesn’t know how or has no plans to remove doors/top, please leave this forum. You are an embarrassment.
Nah. I think I'll stay, and continue to judge off-road worthiness and utility on something a lot more important than just "removable doors", thanks.

Shackleton

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, Camry
I had the roof off the first weekend I bought it Back I. August. Drove around for the day and put the roof back on. I’ve taken the freedom panels off a couple of times and bought a soft top that i intend to install in the Spring. Not sure what I’ll do with the doors. Probably take them off once and if I like it we will see. I enjoyed the roof off enough that I bought the soft top.

WaterDR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Nah. I think I'll stay, and continue to judge off-road worthiness and utility on something a lot more important than just "removable doors", thanks.
Anyone that owns a Corvette or Mustang and has never had it over 3,000 RPMs I feel the same way about. Or someone who never removes the convertible top.

So yea....do what people want. But some of us can still poke fun.

Zilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
You, Sir, are not a nice person.

Zilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Really? FANTASTIC!
Quick, point me toward the one that has solid axles, factory lockers rear and front, and can fit 35" tires without any mods.

I'll wait...

Sheesh... People who think the main reason to buy a Wrangler/JT is "removable doors"... :CWL:
Personally, I don't need....or want...those things either.

Sponsored

Zilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Anyone that owns a Corvette or Mustang and has never had it over 3,000 RPMs I feel the same way about. Or someone who never removes the convertible top.

So yea....do what people want. But some of us can still poke fun.
I'll have you know that I have had my Jeep over 3,000 RPMs several times now. Just today I had it up to 3,600 RPMs while passing a nice Amish couple in their buggy.

wvyankee2

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
I'll have you know that I have had my Jeep over 3,000 RPMs several times now. Just today I had it up to 3,600 RPMs while passing a nice Amish couple in their buggy.

I had mine up to 4800rpm's. Pulling my 4500# camper up a WV hill at 60MPH in 4th gear.........with 488's. Maybe I should have left the doors and roof at home to cut down on the weight? :LOL:

jbmdux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Engineer
I have had them off twice. The problem with removing them is storing them so they don't get damaged. Until I buy a rack (which is not a big priority for me) they won't come off again.

NightFog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, 20 Gladiator Rubicon
I've not taken the roof panels or door off because it's cold and I'm not like people that put their top down in a convertible, when it's 40 degrees and then turn the heater on

Dav6662

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Ribicon
Vehicle Showcase
So first of all to everyone....it is your Jeep, do what you want with it. Second my Rubi usually stays in garage when not out and about. It is not my daily driver so I can typically leave top and doors off most of the time. I live in Southeast Texas so it does not get cold for too long so doors and top on is usually only for a couple of moths of the year.

Third, I feel for those that live in areas that prohibit the removal of doors......that is all.
Sponsored