Sponsored

Who makes a long lasting iPhone charging cable?

staying_tuned

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: TJx2, JKx1, JKUx1
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Architect
Hey folks, the one rub I have with the factory setup is the need to be plugged in for carplay to function but even so, after a few months I need to replace my cords. I keep my port clean, OCD levels clean with an IPA dipped toothpick to pluck out any fuzz-balls etc. The latest was an overpriced dewalt cable. I got about 5 months out of it before it started disconnecting/re-connecting etc.

Anything robust out their that might last a year or more? My routine is plug my iPhone in, turn it upside down and set it in the card deck holder between the cup holders. Occasionally it sets on the passenger seat but thats pretty rare. Once plugged into the center storage port, it stays put until it fails. I'm not hard on the cords etc.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Cape taco12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
If it keeps happening it sounds like somehow the cords are getting damaged consistently. Don’t know if a more robust cord will help in the long run.

Maybe try a phone mount? I have a RAM mount on the passenger grab handle. I plug mine in and have been using the same Belkin cord for a couple years.

OP
OP
staying_tuned

staying_tuned

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Architect
I bet it is my lack of a mount, especially if folks are getting a few years out of their cords wow. It does jangle around a bit, even when in the center console.

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
In my opinion, working in technology management including mobile devices, I have to say Apple has the most robust cables out there. Yes they are damn near $30, but they work. We’ve tried everything from mono price on up, Apple has been the standard for quality to price.

Sponsored

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
I did the phone mount but I also install a USB-C port up on the dash. The cable is secure and doesn't get abused.......and the dash/cabin is just less cluttered this way.

OP
OP
staying_tuned

staying_tuned

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Architect
I did the phone mount but I also install a USB-C port up on the dash. The cable is secure and doesn't get abused.......and the dash/cabin is just less cluttered this way.
USB-C seems far more robust, I've got an XR that I'm holding onto until it dies. It still uses the lightning protocol.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
I love USB-C........fast and it always goes into the hole LOL

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Stop putting it upside down in the cup holder. That places unnecessary stress on the phone port and the cable. Either get a mount so the cable is hanging downward from the phone, or lay it in the passenger seat. Things have been much better with my phones and cables since I stopped doing that.

I get the heavy duty three foot Anker cables from Amazon for my Android phone.

Sdsteph

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non UAW
Hey folks, the one rub I have with the factory setup is the need to be plugged in for carplay to function but even so, after a few months I need to replace my cords.

My suggestion...

I have the old version of this and it has worked great for me. It only froze up once in over two years. Auto connects and no cords to mess with. Only disadvantage is you still need to plug in if you need a charge.

https://www.amazon.com/Carlinkit-4-...mzn1.fos.18630bbb-fcbb-42f8-9767-857e17e03685

Sponsored

RacerAV

First Name
Adamo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Jeep Lover
My Amazon basics cord has held up better than the Apple cords, and it's black. Little beefier (probably just the sleeves, not the wiring)... no complaints, and cheap!

SpeedNeed

First Name
Speed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon, S4, Panamera
I’ve used iPhones in the family since I stood in line for the first release. Also iPads. For me NONE of the cables really hold up. View them as consumables.

I’ve used all the major brands and a variety of special “heavy duty” ones. Aside, the only ones that worked consistently through their life are the Apple brand ones. I don’t know if Apple changes their software to reject others after a while or what, but more problems are solved with an Apple brand charger and cord than I can count. That goes double for the cigarette lighter chargers. Throw away the little the little 5watt cubes the iPhones used to come with - they can take 20 watts and any cube putting out at least that.

You can extend the cord life a bit with various tricks to relieve the pressure point. “L” shaped adapters, or the spring from a ballpoint pen work well.

GrubbyBaja

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JTR, 6-speed
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I use an off-brand cord plugged into the console port with my phone lying sideways between the parking brake handle and console. Haven't had any issues with my Apple XR w/lightning port for over 2 years.