Sponsored

Who makes this?? Rotopax embedded in side of bed

ShastaJT6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willy`s JT
I should clarify, mounted on the sides/tailgate/bumper = outside. If mounted on a roof rack the only chance is if a low hanging limb hits it
Fair enough. If items mounted on the roof are making contact with terrain, you got bigger issues ahaha..
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
Did you happen to push on the bedsides at all? I've always wondered how strong it was. I'd bet it was way too compromised cut this way and that's why it won't happen.

I'd still love to see something done with the wasted lower quarter panel behind the back seat. Rivian figured that one out.

1631886606065.png
Problem is that on the JT, that space is inside the cab. This wouldn't work without a cab redesign. But it is a heckuva cool idea.

OP
OP
CJ-ING-RJ

CJ-ING-RJ

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR, 15 FLHTKL
While I love the look of the Wayout concept approach, and like the idea of the RockSlideEngineering step-mounted option, I'll always prefer to keep gas and water inside the bed. Mounting to the outside, at least on the terrain I am in, leaves a chance for catastrophe. If it is mounted on the outside in some way, and my JT slides on sidways into a boulder or protruding tree limb, the rotopack can get punctured. Much less of a chance of that having fluids inside containers inside the steel bed.
So I totally get what you are saying, but let's be honest most Jeep owners aren't as cool as you and can afford or want to wheel there Jeeps where puncturing that rotopax would be a concern. Personally I need ever square inch of my bed to fit my gear. So a outside option sounds great.

Rummie

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.siestakeyrum.com
Vehicle(s)
20 JT, 15 JKU, 22 BMW 4, Challenger R/T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rum
Vehicle Showcase
So I totally get what you are saying, but let's be honest most Jeep owners aren't as cool as you and can afford or want to wheel there Jeeps where puncturing that rotopax would be a concern. Personally I need ever square inch of my bed to fit my gear. So a outside option sounds great.
I think that Wayout gas can is badass. I went down that path for a while but it was just going to be too difficult to get the custom cans made. And they would need to be thinner (less holding capacity) than I wanted to not take up bed space.

I ended up having some custom insets fabricated in my rack to hold 5 gallon Wavian jerry cans. They are partially embedded in the rack so they don't stick out too far.

I am not worried about them taking a beating on the trail. They are pretty dinged up as is. I've been completely on my side on the escalator and traveled many hard trails. Metal cans hold up extremely well. Even on the outside.

Jeep Gladiator Who makes this?? Rotopax embedded in side of bed IMG_2401.PNG

Jeep Gladiator Who makes this?? Rotopax embedded in side of bed IMG_2402.PNG

tikijimmy

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
How about this? You need the steps, but they are awesome anyway.

That's a lot of work and money to carry one gallon of gas. This seems like a vanity mod more than anything (which is fine, nothing wrong with vanity mods!)

RotoPax in general are very expensive for what is really a plastic gas can with a hole in the middle. I'll stick with my 7 gallon water cubes and my 5 gallon gas cans that are strapped safely INSIDE my bed. More capacity, ¼ of the cost, and more convenient to load and unload. Win/win for me.

Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Mount on roof rack.

I am not concerned about the replacement cost of the rotopack, I'm concerned about gasoline/diesel spilling on the trail or into a creek. 5gal is not an insignificant amount, 2.5gal is not an insignificant amount.

Rubi_Rhod

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR 6MT, '55 Manx Clone Bug
Build Thread
Link
I picked these up. MORryde side carriers.
they easily bolt on and hold jerrycans or up to 2 2gal tanks double stacked or a 3gal tank per side. And clears the mirrors no problem. Super solid and out of the way.

I used a strap to double lash it on. Not needed but was the first time getting em on. Haven’t used em since when I double up.

Jeep Gladiator Who makes this?? Rotopax embedded in side of bed 7CCCD535-F977-4E50-8BE5-BF8C14A82C91
Jeep Gladiator Who makes this?? Rotopax embedded in side of bed 81696914-CF41-4291-8697-42E433606BCC

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
Back in 2018 a guy on the JL side made a few of these rigs and I bought one. I haven't used it yet, but will be mounting it up for an overlanding trip to the northeast in a few weeks. It carrys 3.5 gallons which would be enough to get out of a jam. It should get me about 40-50 miles of range, in overlanding mode. I've got 2 flat ATV rack packs that I could put on a roof rack that hold another 7 gallons together. So I could hold 10.5 total, which would be nearly a 50% inprovement in range. That said, I haven't been anywhere where I would need that much range. But I always dream of the AlCan route. I bet it would come in handy there!

And yes, the rear camera is still functional.

This is where the Gladiator has a HUGE advantage over the Wrangler, with its bed. No need for creative setups like this. I'd just strap the cans in the bed. The flat ATV packs would barely get in the way of other cargo, right up against the side or back of the bed.

ajhjhlS.jpg

wgcwUlZ.jpg

LaterGator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator
Did you happen to push on the bedsides at all? I've always wondered how strong it was. I'd bet it was way too compromised cut this way and that's why it won't happen.

I'd still love to see something done with the wasted lower quarter panel behind the back seat. Rivian figured that one out.

Jeep Gladiator Who makes this?? Rotopax embedded in side of bed wgcwUlZ
Jeep did it first on the M715 in 1967.

Jeep Gladiator Who makes this?? Rotopax embedded in side of bed 1632183741285

Sponsored

Lateralus

Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
You could just get a gas can from Walmart and stick it in the bed, but also have a custom gas can magnet made like the one in the pitcher and attach it to your fender.

KC_H

First Name
KC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I picked these up. MORryde side carriers.
they easily bolt on and hold jerrycans or up to 2 2gal tanks double stacked or a 3gal tank per side. And clears the mirrors no problem. Super solid and out of the way.

I used a strap to double lash it on. Not needed but was the first time getting em on. Haven’t used em since when I double up.

I did the same... I swapped out the short spacers for longer ones to keep the mount from contacting the body...

IMG_7700.jpeg

IMG_7701.jpeg
Sponsored