Sponsored

Who would be interested in a two door Gladiator?

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 1986 Jeep CJ7

Here's an interesting article from 2012 about what happened to the small and mid-sized 2 door trucks as well as the family sedans and station wagons if your interested in learning the truth. I to thought market demand dictated what "the big 3" offered consumers but its simply not the case.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/10/how-cafe-killed-compact-trucks-and-station-wagons/
Thanks for posting this. Most won’t read it and continue to naively say the sheeple are the ones dictating the change to where we are today. Lol!
Sponsored

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
I read it. Thanks for the share. I just wanted a 2dr long bed jeep truck and got one from a prior year when it was offered. Never thought about why jeep didn't offer one in the current model. Some have said CAFE, some have said demand. I think it's because they lack leadership, vision and courage. But... Back to the article.

I offer a different conclusion than the author because we have risky outcomes with or without CAFE.

The fact is we either slow the gulping millions of years of carbon in two centuries with CAFE; or we continue gulping carbon 'freely' for 2 more centuries letting the market decide without CAFE. And then it runs out and we have whatever environmental consequences of that.

This:

"Unfortunately, the footprint method has the opposite effect; rather than encouraging auto makers to strive for unprecedented fuel economy in their passenger car offerings, it has incentivized auto makers to build larger cars, in particular, more car-based crossovers that can be classified as “trucks” as used to skew fleet average figures, much the same way the PT Cruiser did. Full-size trucks have become a “protected class”, safe from the most aggressive targets, while compact trucks have become nearly extinct as a result."

So a truer re-statement is "unfortunately, current people chose to serve current people's economic interests rather than the economic interests of future people. By serving themselves now, they are forcing choice to future generations. This invalidates principles of market freedom and self determination.

So do we blame current villains like CAFE, or instead accept the fact that we are predetermining economic conditions for the next generation and deal with that?

Willys2Gladiator

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase

enrico_pallazzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
81 Scrambler & 21 Mojave
Occupation
Opera singer, occasional umpire
Since you’re comparing it to a Scrambler (I have an 81), I don’t care if it has 2 doors or 4, I want removable bulkhead like the Scrambler, so that the whole thing is open. That’s my perfect vehicle.

Ocotillo Boy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Rubicon, Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Machinery Mover, Rigger
I would have bought a super cab in a second. I love my mojave but most of my time I’m by myself and the crew cab is a long reach to get stuff off the back seat.

precisely why my Raptor is a super cab!

Sponsored

Dash68

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR
Occupation
Astronaut
I read it. Thanks for the share. I just wanted a 2dr long bed jeep truck and got one from a prior year when it was offered. Never thought about why jeep didn't offer one in the current model. Some have said CAFE, some have said demand. I think it's because they lack leadership, vision and courage. But... Back to the article.

I offer a different conclusion than the author because we have risky outcomes with or without CAFE.

The fact is we either slow the gulping millions of years of carbon in two centuries with CAFE; or we continue gulping carbon 'freely' for 2 more centuries letting the market decide without CAFE. And then it runs out and we have whatever environmental consequences of that.

This:

"Unfortunately, the footprint method has the opposite effect; rather than encouraging auto makers to strive for unprecedented fuel economy in their passenger car offerings, it has incentivized auto makers to build larger cars, in particular, more car-based crossovers that can be classified as “trucks” as used to skew fleet average figures, much the same way the PT Cruiser did. Full-size trucks have become a “protected class”, safe from the most aggressive targets, while compact trucks have become nearly extinct as a result."

So a truer re-statement is "unfortunately, current people chose to serve current people's economic interests rather than the economic interests of future people. By serving themselves now, they are forcing choice to future generations. This invalidates principles of market freedom and self determination.

So do we blame current villains like CAFE, or instead accept the fact that we are predetermining economic conditions for the next generation and deal with that?
Your outlook is interesting. My intentions for posting the article was not to blame anyone but to educate people who might unknowingly post false information. It is a common misconception that the smaller 2 door pickups went away because no one wanted to buy them.

My hope is that once electric powered vehicles are more common, we will see a return of smaller platform pickup trucks that have a useful size bed.

Dash68

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR
Occupation
Astronaut
Another interesting article from 2013.

Is the Regular Cab Pickup Doomed? - PickupTrucks.com News

Please note that Ford stills offers the full size F150 in a regular cab short bed configuration.

Ram offers the 1500 Classic in a reqular cab short bed model in North America .

GM no longer offers a reqular cab short bed model in North America but does sell the Silverado 1500 and GMC Sierra 1500 in a regular cab short bed configuration in Mexico and overseas.

Last edited:

Dash68

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR
Occupation
Astronaut
I would have bought a super cab in a second. I love my mojave but most of my time I’m by myself and the crew cab is a long reach to get stuff off the back seat.

precisely why my Raptor is a super cab!
You mean something like this?

Jeep Gladiator Who would be interested in a two door Gladiator? Jeep Gladiator XC6

LANGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Galdiator Rubicon
If were just me, yes. I would want a 2 door Gladiator. But with a mother-n-law and kid to carry too, well, I need to 4-door.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Your outlook is interesting. My intentions for posting the article was not to blame anyone but to educate people who might unknowingly post false information. It is a common misconception that the smaller 2 door pickups went away because no one wanted to buy them.

My hope is that once electric powered vehicles are more common, we will see a return of smaller platform pickup trucks that have a useful size bed.

:like:. I liked that you picked a non biased article. Appreciate you opening the topic for discussion. Agree 2 doors will be back in some form; the electric revolution coming fast and will be a game changer. Interesting that the 2dr went away in this model, considering it targeted a niche market, that is, why not target the 2dr niche? I guess it's a whole other platform, but think it could have been done.

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK

Raven65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I would have preferred an extended cab/6' bed like the illustration and green one in the rendering above... but I'm sure the 4-door will come in handy occasionally.

JeepNNJ

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 Jeep TJ '22 Gladiator
Occupation
Chemist
I was waiting for a 2-door with the extended cab, with or with the smaller rear doors, and a 6' bed. I just couldn't wait any longer
Sponsored