Sponsored

Why did everyone decide their trim level (sport vs rubicon etc)?

Andrew05LJR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2015 911 C2S
I had the JLUR last year and for what I need, is overkill. Ended up getting a well equipped Sport S $46k tag, for $300/mth 24 month lease, 10k miles, $1300 down. Mopar lift, 37s going on with rubicon flares. May regear down the road. While Id love a Rubicon, this is my daily to my 2015 911, so cost was a factor here.
Sponsored

J-GriffsGlad

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Geologist
Sport because of max tow package (daily driver and work out of it) and price. Mojave was my favorite but I couldn't convince myself to pay 200% more for a less capable truck (just because it looks amazing).

Shackleton

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, Camry
Sport S because of max tow and daily driver as well as price.

Stinggray JT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2008 HD Cross Bones
Rubicon so I didn't have to deal with adding lift, shocks and tires like I did with '12 Altitude; though 35s are in my future

Gladiator Girl

First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Florist
Vehicle Showcase
I went with the 2020 Gladiator Overland because it had lots of new mods. Rough Country 4” lift. 37” tires, a spray in bed liner, Rough Country side step, and Rough Country Winch. The interior also sold me. Saddle leather seats and leather dash. Navigation and lots of extras. Definitely a luxury base model JT. Definitely perfect in every way. I did pay 59,000 with all the Dealer added extras. But am loving my JT.

ABDDA930-FF91-43FF-AB0E-6E685EE8A8A1.jpeg

Sponsored

IPB13

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Silverado 2500HD durmax Crew Cab. 2020 Volvo V60 R design (wifes daily), 2006 Jeep Wrangler LJ, 1993 VW Cabrio (wifes tow), 2000 Honda S2000, 1950 Chevy Fleetline
Occupation
Sales/Ops/Engineering/Project Management
I opted to go Rubicon, because of all the jeeps I've owned i have never gone with this trim, and it had all the options I was looking for. I had the dealer throw on the Mopar lift, and I'll do some 35's maybe 37's, and then I'll enjoy it. I looked at some other trims and couldn't find a max tow, and wanted as much towing capacity as I could get. The Mojave was on my radar, but the low towing capacity led me back to the Rubicon.

Surffisher2a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave and 2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
IT Manager
I went with the Mojave edition because of the front suspension upgrades. My main off roading will be on the beach and everyone who has driven on a beach knows the bounce you can get from driving over wash boarded tracks. I was considering the Overland, but as I said the upgraded suspension really sold me. The Rubicon was also considered but I felt that it had a lot of features that wouldn't really use, I don't plan any hard core off roading or rock climbing so I figured that those extremely rare instances where the rubicon would go that the mojave can't wouldn't apply to me. I prefer the orange trim accents over the red with the color jeep I picked out (hydo blue).

The reason I didn't go with the Sport models was because this is going to be a daily driver for me and i wanted some of the convenience options that came standard on the high trim levels. Once you added the cost of adding some of those options to a lower model the price difference was palatable.

This is my first custom ordered vehicle and paying that much for something I really wanted to get what I wanted.

PS -- just ordered this past weekend, now playing the waiting game........

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
I went Max Tow because I wanted a limited slip rear, did NOT want the low gear transfer case and don't really want lockers. You can get almost every creature comfort option on a Sport S now (they just added LED headlights) so the only reason to pick one model over another is base capability. I get everything I need on my Max Tow... will upgrade to tuned Teraflex shocks in a year or two and for my purposes it'll be as much Mojave as I need and better than every other option out there. The fact that it was under 45k AFTER tax is just bonus.

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I just got home from the dealership with my Sport S and max tow package because that’s what I can afford. And honestly... As much as I’d love a Rubicon, it’s overkill for what I’d do with it.

Sponsored

jbehrn

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I purchased an Overland because it was the only Gladiator on lot with tan seats (a self imposed requirement for central Texas). I liked the Rubicon’s but I would never use the rear locker nor the front sway bar disconnect. With an extra $7k off, I felt that overall I couldn’t pass up the deal!

Pug

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired
Great thread. I too had originally planned on a Rubicon. But went with the Overland and have been totally happy. First week I bought it put some Rubicon take off wheels from a fellow forum member. Had sprayliner put in bed. No other mods. Perfect truck for me.
Just an update from my post this past summer. I have 13,000 miles on my Overland now. I am retired but travel from Treasure Island Fl to Tavares Fl weekly to check on our new house that is under construction. We also stay out at Disney once a month. So racking up some miles. The Overland has been perfect with so many highway miles driven. Our new place is on 23 acres and I use 4 wheel drive weekly cleaning up the property etc. This is the perfect truck for me. Could not be happier with my decision.

GladiatorCruzen

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Elevator Superintendent
I decided on a Sport S with Max Tow for the following reasons:

1. Not a rock krawler and didn’t need lockers.
2. Planned a lift with new suspension system, wheels, and tires. IMO the Rubicon wasn’t worth the extra money for me if I was just going to tear off half the package.
3. I wanted more creature comfort features than a base Sport has. Power locks, etc..
4. The Overland and Willys wasn’t available with the Max Tow package.
5. I wanted 4:10 gears, wide track Dana 44’s, better alternator, and larger breaks.
6. I wanted to save money and build a rig to my preference.
7. I wanted the 8.4 Uconnect with Alpine.

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I know this is an old thread but I want to add my two cents. Mine is a Sport S with normal towing package. I like to keep things simple, fewer complications and the less engineering the better - especially over time. This is from prior experience.

The Sport S gives me everything I want without the extra baggage. The normal towing package on the Sport S has 6,000 towing capacity with enhanced cooling, but without the extra weight and engineering of a max tow, and I suspect it benefits in the gas mileage dept from that. If I ever need to tow more than 5,000 lbs then I’ll use a heavier vehicle anyway. I liked the extra storage in the dash where I like to put my Altoids, Business cards, and Fort Fisher electronic beach access card. I like the Sport S silver wheels better than black ones. I think they look better when in motion. I like the little air deflectors in front for gas mileage and protecting the front bumper from road stuff. The other trims don’t have it. The extent of my 4WD needs is NC mountain dirt roads, NC mountain snow, and soft sand driving on the NC coast. My Sport S was literally built for all of that without any extra complications needed. Finally, I love the Gator color, and there was one (the first one I had seen) on the lot when I went to talk about trucks. They were willing to deal on that one beyond the employee pricing, and gave me an insane trade-in value.

The short version of the above is simply that I found it on the lot and everything about it suited me. After 6 months it still does.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
I know this is an old thread but I want to add my two cents. Mine is a Sport S with normal towing package. I like to keep things simple, fewer complications and the less engineering the better - especially over time. This is from prior experience.

The Sport S gives me everything I want without the extra baggage. The normal towing package on the Sport S has 6,000 towing capacity with enhanced cooling, but without the extra weight and engineering of a max tow, and I suspect it benefits in the gas mileage dept from that. If I ever need to tow more than 5,000 lbs then I’ll use a heavier vehicle anyway. I liked the extra storage in the dash where I like to put my Altoids, Business cards, and Fort Fisher electronic beach access card. I like the Sport S silver wheels better than black ones. I think they look better when in motion. I like the little air deflectors in front for gas mileage and protecting the front bumper from road stuff. The other trims don’t have it. The extent of my 4WD needs is NC mountain dirt roads, NC mountain snow, and soft sand driving on the NC coast. My Sport S was literally built for all of that without any extra complications needed. Finally, I love the Gator color, and there was one (the first one I had seen) on the lot when I went to talk about trucks. They were willing to deal on that one beyond the employee pricing, and gave me an insane trade-in value.

The short version of the above is simply that I found it on the lot and everything about it suited me. After 6 months it still does.
Not that anyone needs my blessing, but I like an honest assessment of needs and purchasing based on that. While I know the Rubicon is a beast for rock crawling, most people buy it because it's "top of the line" and that's really the only thing that matters. In any case, I think people forget that ALL of these trucks are the same basic guts and capability. If you're not rock crawling and needing that low gear and front/rear lockers then the base Sport will do everything the Rubicon does.
Sponsored