Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Drive faster. Cover, or we installed armorlight flooring.
Hard to do wearing glasses with the rain covering them, and then keeping your shopping stuff dry, or whatever you carry in it dry.
Still have to stop, slow, turn, get into traffic, etc.
Wind driven rain isn't fun.
The times the weather is "right" are few and short. One reason I sold my last motorcycle was the rarity of the decent riding weather.
Also wasn't so fun in the heat and humidity. A hot breeze just doesn't cut it any more.
Sponsored

Aj58

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Mojave X
Mostly weather.

if it rains and I need to go somewhere I can’t just throw the doors back on and go where I need in a moments notice. The other car may not be available leaving me in a jam.

but with a soft top or sunrider I can just throw it back and get some air. Weathers been decent here so I’ve had my panels out for the week.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Mostly weather.

if it rains and I need to go somewhere I can’t just throw the doors back on and go where I need in a moments notice. The other car may not be available leaving me in a jam.

but with a soft top or sunrider I can just throw it back and get some air. Weathers been decent here so I’ve had my panels out for the week.
Jeep Gladiator Why don’t more people drive naked? 1710726481481-ar

Dang, I need to move to NJ............

Jeep Gladiator Why don’t more people drive naked? 1710726585355-of

Aj58

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Mojave X
1710726481481-ar.png

Dang, I need to move to NJ............

1710726585355-of.png
Not counting the Lows, you got me beat on Tuesday 😂

it’s dropped a little now but was in the high 60’s maybe topped 70 this past week.

IMG_0913.jpeg

Sponsored

K enny

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I always wonder the same thing every summer especially when it is a regular car, maybe even with a power top which would be much easier to drop. I just got mine last month so the weather has not been the best yet but my JK had the top down and the doors off unless there was bad weather coming and I plan the same for the Gladiator.

jeepers29

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR, GC
Occupation
Domestic engineer
I don’t fish for Bass cause I didn’t look good in Spandex casting off the front deck of the boat so I’m sure as hell not driving my Gladiator naked!
Nothing personal my friend, but I really need you to get a different pic above your screen name. I am triggered. LOL

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Nothing personal my friend, but I really need you to get a different pic above your screen name. I am triggered. LOL
Yeah, I have a small app running - an extension, where I can zap stuff like that and make it disappear from the web page - laser cat will shoot it off your screen......

Jeep Gladiator Why don’t more people drive naked? 1710731117464-hm

Y-Guy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
We're getting Pre-Spring this week, temps in the mid-70s, but it's still March. Generally about mid-May I get the doors & top off, if weather holds I can get in a good 90 day run doorless/topless. Once temps around here hit about 105° I start seeing a lot more Jeeps with tops off, and a few running doorless. Since I picked up a cover, I'm not as worried about it now, need to remember to put it in the Jeep ;)

Jeep Gladiator Why don’t more people drive naked? Jeep-Boat

NULL POINTER

First Name
Carmine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR Auto '19 VetteZ06 7spdVert
I have a Corvette convertible that satisfies both my need for speed and top off (down) driving. The heat and humidity here make going sans A/C very unpleasant most of the spring, summer, and fall. The nice days are now, with the rainy season coming to an end. We might have a few weeks of nice weather, then the heat pump is on. Add to that pollen that cakes everything outdoors. I'll take the freedom panels off the Gladiator if it is nice. And I don't have apparatus to remove the roof. Removing doors with the cheap connectors Stellantis uses risks bent pins.

Now if I knew it wasn't going to rain for a few weeks, and that the humidity would stay low, I would consider doors off. Not happening in this state. I used to take the doors off my CJ-7 all the time years ago. It was much easier on that vehicle than on the JL/JT to remove the doors.

Given all that, I do see lots of JL's and JLU's driving around with doors off and tops off. Mostly soft tops, though. I rarely see a JT aound here with doors off, although once in a while I will spot one with the top off.

Sponsored

Mav4x4Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Truck Builder
It's really just because....

.....well I don't want to.

There is a fair chance I never take the doors and roof off. Ever.

Also because in 2022 when I needed a truck the Gladiator was readily available. The Ranger was forever to get ahold of, the GM twins were aging out, and I just didn't like the Tacoma. On top of all of this, the Gladiator had the most rear seat legroom of the midsize trucks, had the least trouble fitting larger tires, and a significant payload capacity in Max Tow trim (which I ordered). These were important factors to me.

So, I bought a Gladiator.

Dave-in-RI

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.GrowMeaningful.com
Vehicle(s)
2010 Subaru Outback (trade-in for 4xe Gladiator)
Occupation
Nonprofit Organizational Development Consultant
(Is anyone aware of crash test data for no doors on? Got me thinking…)

With my wrangler in New England it sometimes would get freezing on the ride back at night, even with heat cranked, which was a deterrent for taking it off so I’d leave wind pants & a windbreaker in it. 80 daytime, 55 nighttime (+ 65mph in shorts= cold)

PuddleJumper

First Name
Cortlund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' JTM, 22' JTR, 22' F56S,
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Lockheed Martin ASW Test Technician
Vehicle Showcase
I take my soft top down all the time. My biggest reason is that my seat covers haven't showed up yet and neither has the trail cover. we get a lot of rain where I'm at and i would prefer to not walk out of work to a soaked interior or a sun faded leather seat that a bajillion degrees when you sit on it. plus the mornings are still in the 40s. goal is when the weather is 60 -65 in the morning and i have all the stuff. I leave the doors in my garage and run it safari style in not sunny weather and the top folded in sunny weather. and just throw the trail cab cover on it when i park for work.
Sponsored