Why no Xtreme Recon package for JT?

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
Does anyone have the scuttlebutt on why they're not offering the JT with the XR package?

The availability of Xtreme Recon will probably push me to a Wrangler instead of a Gladiator for my next Jeep
Sponsored

jeep1

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2024 JLURX
Likely just economics and scale.. Jeep sells three times more Wranglers than they do Gladiators. It probably doesn't make sense for Jeep to introduce the build complexities (inventory, new part numbers, build codes etc..) and new parts (XR fender flares), for the relatively few they would sell compared to Wrangler.

But I get it ... the XR build is a really good deal for what you get.

813 Fabrication & Design

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.813fabrication.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
I would buy a Gladiator with the XR pkg for sure! I have a 2020 Launch Edition JT and bought my wife a 22 Wrangler with the XR pkg. It is worth every penny! I have had several Wranglers and the JT and the XR is the best driving Jeep I have owned. I like 35" tires and don't plan to go 37" on either Jeep. I am not touching anything on the Wrangler because it drives so well I don't want to take a chance on changing that.

cafecito

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave, Granite Crystal
Occupation
Corporate Tool
Throw 35s on a Mojave and you're pretty close (frame reinforcements, iron knuckles, higher factory lift). All you're missing is brakes and the spare tire reinforcement.

Lost_In_The_Woods

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
I'm guessing that Jeep came out with the Xtreme Recone pkg in direct response to the Bronco being available with 35" tires from the factory. Jeep wasn't going to let that slide and take a back seat to Ford. Jeep doesn't have to worry about that with any other midsize truck, so there is no reason to offer the package. This, of course, is just me theorizing, and I have nothing to base it off of.

Sponsored

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
Then buy a JTR or JTM build one. I've essentially built my JTM into one. It's a fuckin beast and great daily driver

PXL_20221120_191342935.jpg

PXL_20221120_190321342.jpg

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Throw 35s on a Mojave and you're pretty close (frame reinforcements, iron knuckles, higher factory lift). All you're missing is brakes and the spare tire reinforcement.
Edit: I see below that @Orange01z28 corrected me. The XR is on Willys and Rubicon

No, the XR is a Rubicon. 4:1 transfer case, front and rear lockers, electric sway bar disconnect, steel bumpers. 35s on a Mojave is 35s on a Mojave. Great truck, but it's no XR . I'm not knocking the Mojave, although I'm sure some will take it that way. But the XR is closer to a rubicon (because it is a Rubicon). Also, the Mojave is only taller I'm the front. The back is exactly the same height as a Rubicon. (once again... I like Mojaves, but a Mojave on 35s is no XR).

But you do have the brakes already, if you have the towing package.

However, Mopar 2" lift plus 35s on a Rubi gets you very close. Regear it, and it's even closer. But... Still not an XR. :(

You could make either one (or any gladiator for that matter) very close with enough money and skill, but not with the factory backing.

Last edited:

WanderingJ

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Blue Overland - Prev, 2014 Polar JKU
Occupation
contract manager
When I saw the JL had it, figured easy package for the JT 2023. Dont think would lose much by offering it. That I would have jumped on.

OP
OP
Orange01z28

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
And the most important thing, the 4.56s

OP
OP
Orange01z28

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
No, the XR is a Rubicon. 4:1 transfer case, front and rear lockers, electric sway bar disconnect, steel bumpers. 35s on a Mojave is 35s on a Mojave. Great truck, but it's no XR . I'm not knocking the Mojave, although I'm sure some will take it that way. But the XR is closer to a rubicon (because it is a Rubicon. Also, the Mojave is only taller I'm the front. The back is exactly the same height as a Rubicon. (once again... I like Mojaves, but a Mojave on 35s is no XR.

But you do have the brakes already, if you have the towing package.

However, Mopar 2" lift plus 35s on a Rubi gets you very close. Regear it, and it's even closer. But... Still not an XR. :(

You could make either one (or any gladiator for that matter) very close with enough money and skill, but not with the factory backing.
You can get the XR on a Rubicon or a Willys for 2023

D44s for front and rear axles on both. Only thing the Rubicon gets that the Willys doesn't is lockers and the 4:1

Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

D44s for front and rear axles on both. Only thing the Rubicon gets that the Willys doesn't is lockers and the 4:1
Didn't there also used to be something just called an Recon package (without the XTreme?)

OP
OP
Orange01z28

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
Didn't there also used to be something just called an Recon package (without the XTreme?)
Yeah I think so. IIRC it was the last JKs with all the new JLR running gear

cafecito

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave, Granite Crystal
Occupation
Corporate Tool

This. That's why I was saying a Mojave with 35s is at least close. Rubicons have nothing to do with what the XR adds. The Mojave gets a few of the same things.

Last edited:

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You make a good point. I didn't realize that it was on Willys's now. I wish they'd go the Ford route (like the Sasquatch), and offer it on any trim. And the gladiator too. But, not holding my breath. And even if they do, I'm not buying another one haha. I'm attached to mine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Orange01z28

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
This. That's why I was saying a Mojave with 35s is at least close. Rubicons have nothing to do with what the V
XR adds. The Mojave gets a few of the same things.
I'd agree it's probably the closest thing JT-wise. Even if you just throw on 35s on a JTR it's still low

The nice thing about the XR package is you can drive it off the lot and be ready to wheel a lot of trails. And if you add 37s soon after you really don't have to change anything

I guess part of the fun is the build, but I like the idea of driving off the lot right onto a trail. I had to wait til I did some work to my JT as a stock Sport S
Sponsored