Sponsored

Will U-Haul rent for a Gladiator with a hard top?

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
My co-worker can't get U-Haul to rent to him in his JKUR because it has a soft top, will I have any problem renting a trailer with my hardtop installed?
Sponsored

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
yep they will rent about anything remotely in spec honestly. Just they hate soft tops, really glad I own a trailer already....

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Depending on your particular U Haul rental place, they may come out and inspect your vehicle tow rating before doing the rental contract. If getting car front wheel tow dolly, they will also want to know what vehicle you are towing.

Squelch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi Gladiator, Energica Ribelle, Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
I rented a UHaul without any issues. When you go to the site you can configure it for a JT, so it should be fine.

Garemlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Willys Gladiator
I rented one with a 2 door JK hardtop a few years ago.

Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I've went a few rounds renting from U-haul from car dolly's to car trailer's with my XJ in past I was told by one it wasn't big enough to tow then after the U-haul store seen my XJ it was a non-issue on the car hauler at that U-haul. U-haul is fickle the last time I had to rent a truck from them to get a car hauler and it couldn't drive up my driveway with it. Car dolly wasn't a allowed with my LJ but was with my MJ that had a lower tow rating 🤔

Oil_Burner

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, Explorer, Prius, C6, Diesel Pusher MH
Occupation
Engineer
Any and all Ford Explorer's are also not able to rent a U-Haul trailer thanks to an old law suit.
This is incorrect.

I had no problem renting a U-Haul trailer towing with a Ford Explorer at the beginning of January.

Sponsored

jenkij

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
I've rented trailers with a soft top JK no problem, the only issue I had was a car haul trailer to tow one on. The site rejected it but when I talked to the guy at uHaul he said it was due to the tire size and the straps wouldn't wrap around them enough, but over rode it and rented it anyway.

Empty Pockets

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S, Sting Ray, 6 Speed (YES!)
I had no idea about this. I’ve rented U-Hauls twice. I have a hard top with the Bestop Sunrider. Nothing was said, but it may have gone unnoticed. Interesting....

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Looks like haul requires the wrangler to have a hardtop but is indifferent to the gladiator top

Jeep Gladiator Will U-Haul rent for a Gladiator with a hard top? 5231300A-1FAA-4A6E-B149-3D96F9FD91EE

Jeep Gladiator Will U-Haul rent for a Gladiator with a hard top? 5231300A-1FAA-4A6E-B149-3D96F9FD91EE

Interesting. The JT isn't a "SUV" so looks like it is truely up to each location if you can rent one.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
I've been through this with my JKUR, I need to have my top on to rent a trailer even though we all know and agree it's for weather protection only. They keep mentioning it's not permitted but can't exactly say why.

They only real conclusion I can draw is from an accident I responded to many years ago where some yokels in a rat ass YJ over cooked a corner going from pavement to gravel, technically a chip and tar road. The sudden under-steer caused them to plow into the culvert and roll about. Arms and legs did not remain in the vehicle with one not being belted to start. Injuries were profound and catastrophic.

My take away is as jeeps and jeep like vehicles are prone to having a higher center of gravity, the increased risk of rolling it over poses a problem. If you have the soft top it's a sheet of fabric and will depart from level flight conditions quickly and then the humans inside are at even greater risk. This rolling it over risk is increased with trailers and all the fun that comes with them.

I'm sure the bean counters at Uhaul took a look at the math and said well at least with the hard top, the humans stand a better chance of not getting mushed, no soft tops. They, uhaul, do rent for convertibles but it's much harder to flip a Sebring under braking than a 4" lifted, 35" m/t equipped jeep already overloaded with people and pets and snacks doing 80 with the tunes jammin'!

The JT, being a much longer wheel base is going to take a lot more to upset it so I assume they are much happier with it but I'm sure it will only be a matter of time untill someone connects the dots and says no soft top. They are also super picky about what you declare to be towing and towing with, their aim is to keep the combined GVW well within specs. For reference:

https://www.uhaul.com/Blog/2014/04/21/towing-with-a-convertible/
Sponsored